Do you UC's take into account the amount of senior classes you're taking?

<p>I am only taking 5 classes this year: Women’s Ensemble, Select Singers (both the top 2 choirs at my school), AP Lit, AP Bio, and AP Calc AB. I originally signed up for 7 classes–the ones I just listed along with AP Psych, Anatomy & Physiology, and Physics. I did not receive these 3 classes due to the fact that AP Psych is only offered during the periods that I have choir. I cannot drop Select because it is considered the top choir and I love to sing. I cannot drop Ensemble because in order to be in Select, I must be in 2 choirs. The classes for Anatomy and Physics are full and no one is able to switch into them. I was extremely upset when I received my schedule because now I’m scared that the UC’s will think I’m lazy for only taking 5 classes, even though the reasons for this were obviously completely out of my hands.</p>

<p>Even if I get straight A’s this semester, does my small schedule ruin my chance of getting into a high-tiered UC like UCLA? Should I just explain my small schedule in the third part of the personal statements? Thank you!</p>

<p>oops, typo in the title… heh sorry I’m exhausted right now…</p>

<p>One of my friends (who happened to be my school’s val) had something like that happen to her senior year, and she ended up with 5 actual classes and a TA period. She’s currently a sophomore at Cal, and she also got into UCLA and UCD. So no, it doesn’t ruin your chances. I think she did explain her situation in the third section, at least from what she told me.</p>

<p>I’m in a similar situation this year. My high school is extremely small, and doesn’t offer much. This year, I will be taking AP Physics, AP Calc AB, AP Government, and General English. My school offers 30-min “seminar” periods on Thursdays and Fridays, so during those, I will be taking Medical Terminology. I’m afraid that unversities won’t be happy about the fact that I won’t have first and second periods… though I have a job after school, I tutor an underclassman, and I do charity work with the special needs students at my school.
What do you think?</p>

<p>Oh, and the reason I’m only taking 5 classes is because there aren’t really any electives that apply to anything I want to do. My school is very artsy, and has a ton of visual and performing arts courses, but I’m not musically or artistically gifted. The only other elective that I have yet to take is Auto Shop, and I really don’t want to take that because the class is all boys and they just screw around the whole time.</p>