Does being a urm really help as much as people like to point out?

<p>I'm thinking about applying EA to schools like the University of Chicago and Georgetown University but I'm afraid I shouldn't even bother with my 3.73 unweighted gpa and the fact that I don't go to a prep school or competitive public school. Though I don't like getting looked at as though I only got in because I was black (right now it's the only hope I have). I mean, don't get me wrong, I work hard too.. I just let myself get way too many B's first trimester of sophomore year. What SAT/ACT test scores do you think I should have so that my gpa could get somewhat of a pass? Oh, I'm in the top 10% of my school if that helps. Last time I was told, which was months ago, I was ranked 15. But I think it's more like 12 or 13 now... maybe lower, or I just might be 14. Still, I'm in the top 10%.</p>

<p>If you applied early action you should have an answer to this question by now.</p>

<p>I believe OP is a junior judging by the verb tenses. OP, I suggest looking at the freshman profiles of the colleges you want to apply EA to. Look at the SAT/ACT scores. Jot them down. Take a practice SAT/ACT test and see where you fall. Study so that your scores fall within the average or are above the average for the university. Don’t forget that you’ll also have to provide an essay. Take a look at their prompts and start reflecting on any experiences that have affected you throughout high school.</p>

<p>What Niquii77 said.</p>

<p>With a 3.7 you can get in just about anywhere provided everything else is outstanding 34+, great essays, ECs ect. Before even factoring in URM status</p>

<p>No it doesn’t. Statistics prove that.</p>

<p>Can get in doesn’t equate to WILL get in. With a 3.7 he is capable of getting in almost anywhere (as is anybody). The question will be what on his application sets him apart from everyone else with a 3.7 or higher. </p>

<p>What is the rigor of his program - were those B’s in the most rigorous classes? What is the reputation of his high school? Only a very small percentage of students go to prep schools or “competitive” public high schools. That does not preclude them from being admitted to top schools. (And in some cases, it works against them, as they did not take the best advantage of the education available to them).</p>

<p>OP - start thinking about the essays you will need to write for your applications, and about the image you wish to portray to these colleges through your essays. Once you you have your first set of SAT or ACT scores, look at the common data set for the schools that interest you. </p>

<p>For Georgetown, looking at the 2011 data set, 35% of the admitted students were in the top 10% of their student body - you’re in pretty good shape there. 34% had a GPA of 3.75 or higher - again, you’re in pretty good shape. Average GPA of the admitted class was 3.47</p>

<p>If you can pull off an ACT composite of 30 (most students applying took ACT rather than SAT), you would be in the top 7% of that class. Above 24 would still keep you in the top half.</p>

<p>Obviously, the data for each college will be different, but it will help you find a good fit for you.</p>