Does URM status matter if you're from Africa?

<p>Hi I am an African from Nigeria.
Is this similar to applying as an African American or not? I was told race isn't considered if you are international. </p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>It is, actually. Smaller boost, though.</p>

<p>So it helps. What if i am not applying for need-based aid? </p>

<p>African+paying full tuition. Does that help at all?</p>

<p>are you african living in africa? or just african ancestry living in us (1st generation or beyond?) i think urm applies as long as youre living in the US</p>

<p>also admissions are supposed to be need-blind, so it dosent matter if you are paying full tuition or not</p>

<p>african in africa. I’ve heard people getting in ivy with 1900 and 2000s andi wondering how that is possibly without urm</p>

<p>admissons are not need blind for international, only in very few school</p>

<p>You would only benefit from the URM boost (affirmative action) if you’re a US citizen or permanent resident. Since you’re not then you would get that boost , however you could get what I call international student diversity points (unofficial term, it’s something my friends say) since you’re from Africa. You’re from a county that is underrepresented in many US colleges so they tend to give out lots of aid so that you could enroll and “diversify” their student body. </p>

<p>I mean I have seen post of kids from Africa, who aren’t US residents or whatever, get into Harvard with 1900+ SAT scores.</p>