Doing a BA/ MA program! Help me choose the university for the masters program!

Hello!

I am going to a small LAC on a nice scholarship and after asking around they offered to make a unique-to-me BA/ MA program with another academic institution (3 years at the LAC and 1-2 years at the university). They told me to send a list of the universities I would like to do my MA with. My mother told me to add Harvard and MIT even though I knew it was incredibly unlikely, however, the LAC told me that it is entirely on the table and not at all out of the question. My bachelors degree would be in physics, math, and philosophy, and my masters degree would be in pure mathematics. They did however say this:

Duke is 100% possible for the MA.

UPenn, Oxford, and Columbia are highly likely because of the connections the president has and/ or the LAC has worked with them in the past.

Harvard, MIT, Stanford, Princeton, Yale, and Caltech are all on the table but more work would be required in order to get these to happen.

A few notes: Harvard and Princeton technically have the best programs for the specific areas of pure math I wish to go into. UPenn has a MA and MPhil program which is a longer mathematics program with more extensive and in-depth classes which really does excite me as a possibility (after doing the MA id go for the MPhil before PhD elsewhere). I know friends should never be a deciding factor but I know several people well at MIT, Harvard, Princeton, Yale, and Stanford (with the most at Stanford and MIT), but not really anyone else at the others. Oxford (I am not sure which college at Oxford specifically) has the masters in mathematics and philosophy which would be excellent since I am rather interested in formal logic, axiomatic set theory, category theory, etc.

I will have to have all of this formally decided by the end of the first fall semester at college and I am already heading to college this week for the next month for a couple of classes as part of a STEM program. I was told, however, that the sooner decided the better, especially because they dont want to reach out to a ton of universities to try and start the program with me only for me to suddenly choose another or be stuck with that one when I preferred another.

This all being said: which universities should I choose for the MA part of my BA/MA? And less so “choose” but rather give priority to, as I am not yet making a formal choice but rather wish to be prepared for when such a choice is made.

Also any and all other advice in general is appreciated. Thanks!!

You need to get their 3/2 program in writing. Often 3/2 are for two bachelors.

This sounds like a lot of hokie pokie and you can’t rely on anyone being in these positions.

If your LAC has a 3/2 program, it will be listed on their website and with partner schools.

As for where you should pursue a Masters, it’s a bit early to know now - or that you’ll even want one at the time. And to which type of opportunity - campus, cost, etc. you’d like.

I guess what I’m saying - this doesn’t seem real.

And if it is, you better get written confirmation. Nothing is this “flighty” out there…sorry.

2 Likes

I do realize that 3/2 programs are often for bachelors. Ofc this will all be in writing eventually. However, this is not something listed on their website and is exclusive to myself due to my unique request (graduate opportunities in mathematics) and scholarship opportunities. I already know that I would like a masters, and I do already have ideal places to attend. I have wished to be a professor and researcher ever since I was very young and I do plan on going for my PhD as well, eventually.

While perhaps it may not seems real (which I admit, I can certainly see why). I will have written confirmation eventually but working out which school would be part of getting it into writing.

The LAC I am attending is rather reputable, high-ranking, and well-known. I sincerely doubt they would lie to me as I have already accepted their offer of admission and am attending this starting the end of this week (for a summer program).

1 Like

No one is saying lying.

Sometimes people hear things that aren’t truthful. If you’re comfortable with it, then that’s fine. It seems odd to me. Many people want to do a Math masters but are not given the info you have been.

Let’s get back to your question - which university should you choose for your Masters? Well that depends on where you can get in - and of those, which one is right for you - based on curriculum, professor strengths/research, environment, etc. You would have to make that decision - no one here can make it for you.

1 Like

I guess you are right. I was just seeking insight, but I admit I am not sure into just “what” exactly. I already have preferred curriculums, professors, and environments. But we’ll see.

Just from the pov of the quality of the math department, mit, Harvard and Princeton are in one bucket. The rest are in a different bucket. If you know for sure you are going to do a PhD, why not go to the sure thing — Duke, and pick one of the three for a PhD? Also I am not sure if you’d have the background for a masters at a top place if you split your attention in your undergrad on three different things. Most of your peers will be coming after a pure 4 year undergrad.

1 Like

The bachelors is with custom majors I just say physics, math, and philosophy for clarity. The actual majors are physics + mathematics & formal logic (math and formal logic is one major and a portion of it is in the philosophy department).

2 Likes

I realize the “sooner the better” from the administration’s perspective-- but you haven’t taken a single college class yet, and you’re already getting ahead of yourself with an MA, an MPhil and a PhD!

It’s great to have goals and I applaud your ambition- but I think you’ll be in a better position to map out your future after midterms. Get acclimated to college. Figure out the right balance between sleep and studying. Learn the best way to get your laundry done and keep your dorm room relatively clean (if you care).

College is a steep learning curve, and I think you have time before you have to commit to this Master’s program. And keep in mind- the vast majority of people with PhD’s did NOT do a special program- and they managed just fine. You can too even if you end up going the conventional route. There are very strong candidates for a doctorate who apply and are accepted to a PhD program without having to do a Master’s in between- and so can you.

4 Likes

You may also want to get a clear picture from the LAC on how the 3/2 might affect your scholarship money and/or eligibility for undergraduate financial aid. Once you’re officially classified as a graduate student, your eligibility could change.

3 Likes

I don’t think that Princeton does BS/MA in Math for their own students or a standalone MA in Math. I think the only “normal” way to get an MA in Math is to be in the PhD program. I would find it odd that they would be willing to do something special of a student at another school.

That’s why, the entire thing doesn’t make sense and I’d want to see something in writing…not just spoken to.

Plus, personnel changes and well - this just doesn’t seem realistic - that all these schools mentioned - without a formal program.

Colleges are very process driven - so something like this - well, again, I wonder if there’s a misinterpretation.

“1-2 years” for an MA-- that is VERY realistic, it just doesn’t involve an undergrad committing to the grad institution before even starting college!

Princeton does not do a BA/ MA with its own students. I doubt Princeton would truly be an option I’m just saying what I have been told.

Well the committing would be during the fall semester of freshman year. Which is understandable considering the amount of steps you’d have to take to get the “in-order” or “sequence” classes through in 3 years instead of 4.

You’re right about this. I definitely do need to see how this will work, if I am offered basically no money for the masters I wouldn’t be able to afford it but we’ll see. I’ll update in the fall.

And you may conclude you don’t need a Masters at all- you’d go straight from undergrad to a funded doctorate!

4 Likes

I don’t doubt that. Just to the initial post with assured or near assured schools.

1 Like

The more I think about this, the more confused I become. What is the value of the MA? There is a reason that Math Departments don’t have MA programs outside of applied/financial. Who is going to pay for the 1-2 years? The LAC? The university isn’t going to give you any money for an MA. Unless the LAC is so weak in Math that they don’t place well into grad school, the MA really will not help with PhD program acceptance. This all sounds very used car salesman talk to me.

6 Likes

I have never heard of these institutions having a 3+2 arrangement with another unaffiliated college.

Would you mind disclosing the name of the LAC? Perhaps someone on these forums with more specific knowledge might be able to provide better guidance.

4 Likes