Don't Drink, Should I Apply to W&L?

<p>W&L sounds like a really nice school, but I always here about how big the party/drinking scene is there. I can't drink at all because of a stomach condition. If I don't drink, would I still be able to "fit in" or have any fun at W&L?</p>

<p>As long as you are not snobby about it and can also put up with excessive drinking going on around you, you can fit in. Most people respect it as long as you aren’t sneering at them.</p>

<p>Have a good time? I’ve seen non-drinkers have great times and non-drinkers have terrible times. Depends on your personality.</p>

<p>I’ll be honest with you. W&L has great financial aid, terrific professors, and a wonderful history. We love the place and have a grad in our family. That said, the culture is problematic in some ways. It seems hypocritical that a school with an honor code so strict that a student is charged and punished for taking a bite from a friend’s uneaten apple because he hadn’t signed into the dining hall since he wasn’t planning to eat looks the other way at rampant disregard for the law in underage drinking. Hmmm?</p>

<p>If you are uncomfortable with the illegality of underage drinking, you’ll have a problem with the fraternities. If you don’t join a fraternity, you’ll need to be careful to seek out fellowship and friendship elsewhere - Outing Club, Generals Christian Fellowship or somewhere else. It can be challenging, but you will get an excellent education and gather some real friends along the way if you seek them out.</p>

<p>When people say that you can have fun “whether you drink or not,” what they are doing is feeding you a lie. I suppose non-drinkers can have fun, if by “fun” you mean sober-fun events on campus with the rest of the independents, or attending a FIJI party. Generally non-drinkers are marginalized in the culture here, either don’t go Greek, or do but don’t fit in. The school itself does very little programming for students, meaning that the social scene here is completely dominated by guys running the frat parties. If every weekend your sole choices for entertainment are drink on windfall, drink at the cabins, drink at old house, drink at the Beta house, or drink alone in the dorms, but you don’t drink, you’re not going to have a very good time. And what sort of stomach problem doesn’t permit you to drink? That sounds a bit like people who claim not to “like” the taste of alcohol…</p>

<p>OP - there are people that don’t drink at W&L and that doesn’t keep you from joining sororities and fraternities. Is the culture drink heavy? Yes, sadly. But there are people who don’t drink to excess (and are of legal age) and there are people who don’t drink at all and then there are athletes who, regardless of what they want, are dry during competition season. Plenty of people to hang with sober.</p>

<p>I have IBS, two worse things for it are alcohol and dairy.</p>

<p>And thanks for the replies. I don’t hate underage drinking though, I’m perfectly fine with it. It’s just I know in some colleges even if you’re okay with others drinking you sort of have to to have fun, it seems like W&L is one of them :/</p>

<p>Oh! I didn’t see your post, scmom, that’s good news :)</p>

<p>OP, I am a current student, in a sorority, go out 3 nights a week, and don’t drink. i still have a blast because the best parts of the parties are just dancing and meeting people and dressing up in fun costumes. All of my best friends drink and I don’t feel ostracized or like I am missing out at all. It may take a little more effort to be relaxed and social at the parties, but it is doable and not drinking should not be a reason for you not to apply here :slight_smile: Its really a great school</p>

<p>Don’t listen to anyone who tells you that you can’t have fun at W&L without drinking, and don’t listen to anyone who tells you you can’t go Greek if you don’t drink. Speaking as a current student, not drinking isn’t at all an impediment to social life here–I have a friend who, like you, can’t drink for medical reasons, and she goes out every weekend and always has a great time. :slight_smile: She says the best part of going out is laughing at us wobbling around telling each other how much we love everyone, as well as how effusively we praise her for making sure we don’t do anything stupid. I’d say that most groups have at least one always-sober member, in my experience. </p>

<p>I usually stay sober or mostly sober, as does another friend of mine, and we go out a lot. I will say that there are parties where you just won’t want to be, since they get so crazy it’s hard to handle them without a drink or two (you will know which these are when on campus). You will also probably get asked at parties if you want a drink by the brothers, since they want everybody to have a good time, but if you say no they won’t pressure you about it. The mentality is more or less, “well, more for me.” Just don’t act like you’re morally superior for abstaining (that’s one of the quickest ways to earn some enemies) and you’ll be fine, though it doesn’t sound like that’s a problem for you. :)</p>

<p>As for Greek life, half of my pledge class doesn’t drink, so that should say something. It’s definitely not an impediment to having a social life, overall. Usually, the only thing that will really do that is if you don’t like to party. I usually try to go out at least once or twice a week even if I have a lot of work, just because I get to see everyone when I do. </p>

<p>Hope this was helpful!</p>