Dorm Essentials

<p>Hi everyone. Move in day is about a month away and I wanted to get everyone's opinion on what they think one should have at the dorm. So far, the things i can think of are only...</p>

<p>Laptop
Microwave
Futon
Posters
Clothes, Shoes, etc.</p>

<p>That's all i can think of so if you guys have any suggestions, please let me know. thanks.</p>

<p>There is a huge post here about everything you could possibly need. Check it out. <a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-life/82285-z-what-bring-college.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-life/82285-z-what-bring-college.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Some of the things I plan on bringing (just for fun, as the above poster said, there is a huge post about this) are as follows:</p>

<p>*The small computer I am building now
*1 widescreen 22" LCD and 1 17" LCD screen
*my laptop
*some posters by Amano Kouze (she is the creator of the Aria/aqua series)
*a few figurines from my collection (....Id like to bring the whole thing, but...I probally won't...it's weird enough already :-P)
*frying pan
*spatula
*bed and bath stuff
*clothes.
*ipod
*cell phone
*Nintendo DS
*TI-84 Plus Silver Edition
*My oh so wonderful K81DJ headphones.
*All of my art books</p>

<p>That's probably about it. :) As you can see, there are a few things in there that your typical college-goer doesn't have/won't bring. You will also notice I don't plan on bringing a TV.</p>

<p>Remember to check with your roommate about the microwave oven- only one allowed per room. This year I notice there is no landline phone service. Bring your own mattress pad as the one provided is very thin and the mattresses are vinyl covered. They do have kitchens with cooking supplies in each dorm-don't waste space with nonmicrowave supplies. If you don't have a lot of hanging clothes you may want a shelving unit , maybe 2' x2' or less w x d, for extra storage in your closet. A rug is a nice idea- (softer better) and check with your roommate on this, too. Don't forget your surge protector(s) and internet cable (although Res Halls had cheaper ones for sale than the one we bought). Remember the campus is casual so don't worry about clothes that are fancy, whatever you have is fine- unlike HS there are no fashion police/in crowds to worry about. My son has appreciated the "Color Catcher" sheets for laundry- you may want to wash those red items a few times (I wash/rinse in a basin until no color bleeds) before mixing laundry, but after that it is easier to do one large mixed load and use this than to try to get fancy with separate loads. Consider prewashing bedding so you won't have to worry about colors when you do laundry. The washers are front loaders so you can stuff them full (use two of the free dryers if you need to). It may be nice to use a plastic bin for storage that you can also use to wash/soak items in (guys won't...). Listen to your mother's hints. Remember to simplify the daily living activities as much as possible so you can fully enjoy all the other ways to spend your nonclass time. There are fiction books at the libraries, leave most books at home- think limited space/time. Dorm rooms are small- even the largest at Liz Waters. Consider large lounge pillows for your bed. Think of any magazine subscriptions- eg TIME, but also know you can read them at the library.</p>

<p>
[quote]
There are fiction books at the libraries, leave most books at home- think limited space/time.

[/quote]

I don't totally agree with that, considering you aren't bringing a whole library. If you have a single shelf worth of books You still have another 4 shelves to put other stuff on. Considering I look at my books a lot and are not something that would ever be in any library in Madison most likely, its worth it. Also, they aren't reading books anyway, and are a good way to relax for 15 minutes.</p>

<p>On the other hand, I completely agree with you about other fiction books as I can't imagine having time to be re-reading novels. Though, I will admit I'll be bringing The Ultimate Hitchiker's Guide to the galaxy with me, but that's because I like to quote from it and it's like my bible :-P That's the only real novel book I'm bringing though.</p>

<p>
[quote]
They do have kitchens with cooking supplies in each dorm-don't waste space with nonmicrowave supplies.

[/quote]

I knew there were kitchens, but I didn't know they were stocked with supplies. I really appreciate you stating that as I plan to cook a lot of my meals or prepare things in advance one day for the whole week. Do you know anything about how often the kitchens are used and what they have supplies wise overall?</p>

<p>EDIT: You know though, planning some of this stuff is somewhat difficult with my roommate. He seems to not want to really talk with me. We talked once a long time ago and he hasen't responsed to any messages I sent to him already. All I know is that he plans to not be sleeping in the dorm that much since he wants to go sleep with some girl apparently (and I wasn't thrilled about the idea of having someone else sleep in there EVERY night. At least he asked me about it :S).</p>

<p>Relax, from another thread I gather you are male. Not all guys are very communicative. You just need to coexist peacefully, you don't have to become friends. Try to ascertain the microwave bringer and do your own thing for the rest. You do not need to coordinate colors, lofting or anything like that- my walks through the dorm floors showed not much on the guys' floors and much more done by girls. Remember you never have to accomodate g/bfriends any more than your parents do- you always have the right to use your room, to be able to enter it to get things without feeling uncomfortable.</p>

<p>You may not do as much cooking as you think- the kitchen will require getting the key from the desk and traipsing to another part of your building, meant more for special occasions, not everyday use. The dorm foods accomodate many different tastes and is considered quite good, save having to cook for your future apt. Remember, you will have 1/2 of a bedroom and 1/2 of a small refrigerator to work with- and your foods shouldn't smell or otherwise get in your roommate's way. Visit the ethnic restaurants for variety.</p>

<p>Think radical lifestyle change when going to college, not just academics with HS/childhood habits. You are going to add so many new experiences and things you didn't have you won't have the time you think you have to revisit old ones. Consider buying new books, trying foods you haven't been exposed to, spending time with new people...</p>

<p>A dorm room is a transition from house to apartment- you get all the independence of moving away from home without needing to cook and clean, but you get limited space and lose some of the comforts of home as a tradeoff. You will expand your space to encompass the whole campus and surrounding areas instead of being confined to one building when "home".</p>

<p>Bring the clothes you will wear, the bedding and toiletries, then add in the school items and social/decorating items. Leave your childhood bedroom at home, you are creating a new space and lifestyle. You can always get something you really miss during your first trip home or have it sent. And Madison does have stores.</p>

<p>Well, I wasn't going that far :S the biggest part was about a second refrigerator and me wanting to get something like that ahead of time to get possibly a better deal.</p>

<p>As for the food, it has nothing to do with variety, but instead me trying to save some money. While the prices on campus are reasonable, I can generally make things for much cheaper. In an ideal world I woulden't have to worry about cooking, but unfortunately, things aren't really that way. Quite frankly, I'd rather not cook (I enjoy it to an extent, but it's not my favorite thing in the world). When I can get a dozen eggs, some bread, and cheese, and make myself sandwiches for the rest of the week, that's a pretty good deal compared to what I'd pay on-campus.</p>

<p>I will admit, I find a lot of your comments helpful, but over optimistic and generic. Please continue to post as you really have provided a ton of details that I haven't been able to find anywhere though and I really appreciate it.</p>

<p>For example, my book collection. It's actually a rather recent thing that I have gotten into and the books I have were all imported. I still enjoy them, and I'd like to continue to enjoy them before I get to the point where I really don't have time for them or no longer enjoy them if I happen to change. Either way, I agree with you to a large extent though, but with exceptions. The same thing goes for "buying new things". You can't always just buy new things and I'll tell you one thing: when I get to college my disposable income is going to go down the drain. While I've never really been one to spend all that much money, I've always had money at hand...for once in my life I won't (I just wrote out a check for my first quarter housing payment....I cringed while I made that deduction in my spreadsheet :-P)</p>

<p>I'm a little tired and it's hard to really explain myself at the moment, but I feel it's extremely important to try new things and meet with new people (why do you think I'm so excited about college? All the different kinds of people in this world are what make it so interesting. The ideal world I speak of would be a boring world :-P). However, that doesn't mean you should/have to drop your old interests completely or change who you are completely. It's a time to adjust yourself, but that doesn't mean that if I like to play tennis now (which I do) I shouldn't bring my tennis racket to play some tennis with people (I definitely will bring my tennis racket).</p>

<p>Anyway, I'm off to bed. I will say finally, that as for what I will bring or keep there I will decide by the end of my first day there. Depending on the size of the room, my roommate, etc. could completely change what I decide to keep from home or send back with my parents. Though, despite what you may think, I really don't want to or plan to bring very much.</p>

<p>EDIT: yes, I am male by the way. :-P</p>

<p>is it possible for a person to bring a hookah or is that not allowed in the dorms?</p>

<p>Nothing illegal, drug paraphenalia is illegal last I knew. Check the fine print, all the rules are there on the website, you know how to access them.</p>

<p>Leave your childhood and prized possesions at home. They will still be there when you return and you can take them back with you if you really want them after a month or more away from them.</p>

<p>One very small refrigerator per room-the rules are probably due to the electrical load capabilities of the wiring, your dorm mates will not appreciate you power hogging and blowing fuses (consider the significant power usage of everyone's computers and other electronics without adding in more 24/7 power users). Do not try to penny pinch during your college years, you will regret it years later. See what happens with dorm life and add in changes in eating at the dining halls, etc. instead of starting with big plans. It will be a lot easier to figure out changing the usual routines once you are there and have the experience than planning from home. Of course it is cheaper to shop and prepare your own food and clean up afterwards- but it takes time. Enjoy the freedoms of dorm life this year, you may even decide the cons are worth a second year in the dorms.</p>

<p>The kitchens may have some pots and pans, cookie sheets- they are not stocked for regular, daily cooking. Good for mixing and baking that box of brownie mix, or a specialty dinner, but certainly not to be considered like being at home. As always, check with the school for official info- in this case e-mail Res Halls with any questions about what is in the kitchen.</p>

<p>is it possible for a person to bring a hookah or is that not allowed in the dorms?
- Hookah is fine. Kids had them in my dorm (smith) when I was a freshman and smoked them outside the dorm. You just have to be like 20 feet away from any doorways. Other than that they are fine.</p>

<p>Remember the nonsmoking policies all over campus.</p>