Dorm safes and Laptop locks

<p>I am sure it can't hurt, but are dorm safes or laptop locks a necessity? I have talked with other parents who say that they purchased them for their students but the students did not use them as much as they thought they would.</p>

<p>I don’t have either of those, and everything is pretty safe around here. Never had anything stolen.</p>

<p>For my laptop, however, I did buy LoJack- that way I track my laptop to whoever stole it.</p>

<p>Another parent and I were discussing that same thing yesterday. Seem a lot of parents buy the locks, and kids start off using them, and then just stop as it’s a PITA and they get tired of it. Probably better to just get insurance, I’m thinking. I’d be interested to hear other’s experiences though…</p>

<p>I wouldn’t recommend either for a typical student. If you’re taking gold bullion or your birth certificate to school I suppose you might need a safe but otherwise there’s nothing that valuable that you’d need to lock it up.</p>

<p>Laptop locks tend to be a major inconvenience for minimal benefit. Chances are you’re not going to be leaving your laptop unattended for a long period of time anyways. Anyone can buy a pair of cable cutters for a couple of bucks, they could get through your laptop lock pretty easily with the right tools.</p>

<p>Appreciate your insights. Much as I expected-a device is only useful if used-think we will let it go and hope for the best!</p>

<p>If the safe isn’t bolted down then all its doing is giving the thief all your stuff in one container he can take and crack at his leisure.</p>

<p>Four years ago I was one of those new moms who thought her child had to have a dorm safe, lock, and every other non-necessity known to mankind :slight_smile: Way too much money spent and he didn’t use much or any of it. Save your dollars for a nice dinner or two when you go to visit! </p>

<p>As long as they make sure their dorm rooms are locked when they leave, and use common sense when it comes to the carrying around their laptop, I think they are good to go.</p>

<p>KandK - I call it the Bed,Bath & Beyond effect - you start shopping - and they present you with all of these items you just have to purchase - and suddenly you are buying things you don’t need and your child will never use - it’s just good marketing. I have a bunk bed tray still in the box (like a clip on nightstand if you are in the top bunk) and a light up mirror (thought it would serve dual purpose as a night light and mirror for him to put in his contacts in the room) also still in the box. I did not return these items - thinking maybe younger son would want them!</p>

<p>I have tried to resist a lot of the packing hype-we have a lot of “stuff”, but probably nothing compared to what my friends who have daughters!</p>

<p>rockvillemom, I swear we are all so much alike! I purchased something along the same line freshman year for that top bunk that I swear looked like was 10 feet in the air. I thought it would be a deterrent to him rolling off the side. </p>

<p>Went up for a ball game in Oct. and there it sat, still in the box, deep in the closet with dust of course accumulating by the minute on top. After appropriate dust removal, it went to our next door neighbor whose father was in a rest home! </p>

<p>My husband just shakes his head at me sometimes when it comes to what I buy/do for these kids, I like to think that I just love 'em (a lot) :slight_smile: But you do learn a bit as you go…</p>

<p>LynnVB, I sent you an PM (on an unrelated topic)</p>

<p>A safe may not be necessary but a place where valuables can be locked up seems to be a good idea. The value of those electronics add up fast. My son will probably use a storage trunk with a lock if he is out of town for a few days. He may trust his roommate but he won’t know everyone that comes through his room. </p>

<p>I’m sending my third one off to school. I do listen to what they say they want but I have a few ideas of my own. Stocking up on toiletries cuts down on trips to the store when they are short of time. </p>

<p>A tool box with essentials. So they aren’t reduced to using their nice aluminum water bottle as a hammer.</p>

<p>Nice sheets. These was greatly appreciated. </p>

<p>A first aid kit.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>This is true, but chances are that you’re going to be using those electronics quite frequently. It’s not practical to open up your safe every time you want to use your cell phone, television, computer, Xbox, etc. I’d only consider it practical if your child is out of town often and doesn’t bring his computer with him.</p>