Dorms for Presidential Scholar

Are presidential village dorms for presidential scholars?

If not, are presidential scholars put in honors dorms automatically?

My son has been awarded oos presidential. Haven’t yet accepted or even visited campus, but trying get my mind around things.

Presidential Village is not part of the Honors College dorms. Those would be at Ridgecrest.

Pres Village dorms for Pres Scholars?
No

Are Pres Scholars put in honors dorms automatically?
No

He would need to join honors college, pay housing deposit, pick dorm type during housing selection.
There are multiple dorms for honors. Some are the entire dorm, some are just portion of dorm.

No, the Presidential dorms are open to everyone. A person with a presidential scholarship can choose to room anywhere on campus. Those who are also in honors college may choose to live in honors housing (the Ridgecrest community.) Students choose dorms based on when they are enrolled and place their housing deposit down. The earlier you do this, the more choice the student has.

If he’s in honors does he automatically get honors dorm assignment if he requests it?

No, everything is based on the day you enroll and place the housing deposit. If there is honors housing available, he will be eligible. Otherwise, he will get what is still available on his sign up day. If he signs up after a specific day, then he no longer has a choice, but is placed by the University in a specific room. The longer he waits, the more likely he will be in more traditional dorms (2 people to a room) rather than a suite. In the past, Roommates who have later sign up days can be “pulled into” a suite or room if they connect with another freshman who has a earlier sign up date.

Yes and no. If housing deposits are paid at the last minute and all honors housing has been assigned then he would not receive honors housing. Although paying the deposit later than sooner does not keep a student from receiving housing of their choice it can become a little tricky.
A student can be “pulled in” to an honors room or suite by a student with an earlier housing choice.

^^^
Right. There are more honors students than there are honors housing. Some don’t want honors housing for a variety of reasons.

If your child wants honors housing, especially a particular dorm, and he hasn’t yet deposited, then it’s best for him to find someone thru Facebook UA class of 2020 who can “pull him into” their honors dorm.

Is your child a national merit finalist? If so, then usually there are honors suites reserved for them.

When are you going to visit?

^
My DS had been on the FB page of the Class of 2020. He said it is mostly girls looking for roommates. You may have a better chance on the parent page. @mom2collegekids correct me if I’m wrong, but can’t they get into a suite where there is one room left in the suite of three other boys?

Those who deposit after Feb 1st will not be able to choose their rooms. Getting pulled in would be necessary.

Right now, few boys are on the FB group, but more will show up. In the meantime, being on the parent page may help.

@grindle If you want to be added to the parent page, send me a PM

I have no idea what you are talking about. Pulled in?

Late March visit tentative. We reside in Utah so it’s a hike.

Not NMS. Presidential Scholar if that’s worth anything…

Pulled In means that one of the people who have an earlier day can add your student to the room or suite if this was arranged before hand. Choosing a room has nothing to do with your scholarships etc. but your deposit date (I don’t think being a NMS makes a difference now either, although it may have in the past.)

We just applied for honors yesterday. Should be a slam dunk with 33 ACT, etc, but I suspect he can’t ask for honors until he’s officially accepted into honors which could be 2 weeks. Seems like I’m in a holding pattern.

It may have changed in the past two years, @Grindle, but my son was admitted to the Honors College at the same time he was awarded the Presidential Scholarship. He was still expected to fill out the HC app, but it was just a formality, really.

Your son WILL be admitted to Honors–it’s essentially automatic for kids at that level. If he got his app in yesterday, he should hear back quickly.

As long as he’s in honors by room selection (which isn’t for a while) he’ll be able to get into an honors dorm, assuming there are honors rooms available by the time he picks/is assigned OR he is able to be pulled into an honors suite by someone else. If he has the Presidential scholarship, then he has the stats for the Honors College and admission is a formality. I’m not sure what you’re in a holding pattern for. Are you holding off on putting down a housing deposit (which requires an enrollment deposit) until he’s accepted into the Honors College? If so, I don’t think that’s at all necessary.

My DS has been able to find 2 other OOS boys for roommates via some site. I don’t remember what it is. I don’t know if my son is going to go to UA for sure and has communicated this to the other boys. They are all honors housing. We decided to pay to secure his spot in housing if this is his final choice. They are looking for a 4th roommate still. The site was provided to him after we paid the fees.

I have friends that paid the housing deposit last fall just in case their kids chose Alabama. UA honors dorms are suite style and really nice. We visited this past week and my daughter said that is the only type of dorm she would want. I think they said 60 or 70% of their dorms were suite style. The suite style has a small but full kitchen, a separate living area, 4 small individual bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. The Presidential dorms are suite style and the newest ones. The latest one was just opened this past fall. The honors dorms are not there but rather at Ridgecrest. FYI–every student on our tour was out of state and probably presidential scholars. I think UA has a majority of OOS kids b/c of their great merit based packages.

I do not believe the suites have a full kitchen. A full kitchen to me includes a stove/oven. To me, this is a half kitchen; micro, sink, full refrigerator.

17 and #18 - No stove/oven in the suites.