Dorms

<p>Crazy, you're right!!! They both filled out the FB roommate survey and were 2 of few requesting Stanford/substance-free. I actually read what I am assuming is your D's (everything you've said here matched up with what I read on FB, and I'm sure you can figure out which one is my D as well) and thought they sounded very similar. i went to tell my D and saw that they had already become friends. </p>

<p>We found all the students we met to be very friendly and unpretentious, as well. The girl my D met from sub-free told my D that they pair up upperclassmen with a freshmen (kind of like a big brother or big sister idea) and they have events together. Did you get a tour of the dorms? The rooms are standard (read: tiny). I knew my D wanted to go here when, out of the 16 colleges we visited, this was the only one at which she bought a t-shirt in the bookstore.</p>

<p>What are the most social residential colleges for an incoming freshman? Everybody is talking about the substance free but i want the exact opposite, a want the social dorm. Opinions?</p>

<p>Much Thanks</p>

<p>Oh and if i was to join a Frat would i still spend first year in a residential college?</p>

<p>Try the facebook group for UM, I think it is called "University of Miami 2013". </p>

<p>There are alot of helpful current students on that site who can help answer your questions.</p>

<p>Hecht is definately known as being the more social dorm but I live in Stanford and it is great. I think the people who live in Hecht live up to the stereotype of being the louder people and the people in Stanford are more laid back and relaxed. You can't join a fraternity until the spring semester and you would still live in the residential college. Plus, only a couple of fraternities have houses and many of my friends who are in Greek life are still living on campus next semester.</p>

<p>Please be advised, some students who are late to getting housing have only the substance free floors with which to choose from...they will sign the agreement, but...</p>

<p>That being said, my son's RA was top notch and in the end Stanford worked out fine</p>

<p>Do they at least try to match students with roomates who have chosen substance free? I hope so, if not it defeats the purpose.</p>

<p>They all have to sign an agreement but then again an 18 year old's signature might mean diffrent things to diffrent students</p>

<p>Main thing is your student gets out around the dorms and beyond. Roomatescan look like a horrible fit sometimes and in the end be fine.</p>