Dorms

<p>Is there a link anywhere to a list of the different dorms/housing options?</p>

<p>Do any students or any of you in the know have the inside scoop on certain dorms?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Check these out. Stanford and Hecht are thought of as the freshmen dorms.
Residential</a> Colleges | University of Miami
<a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-miami-florida/174843-best-dorms-um.html?highlight=hecht%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-miami-florida/174843-best-dorms-um.html?highlight=hecht&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Hecht > Stanford</p>

<p>I emailed them and they said that there's a long waiting list... whats that all about? I can't get on-campus until after classes start? Ummm I'm from New Jersey, as dumb as it sounds, this could be a deal-breaker</p>

<p>Can someone explain the "substance free floors" please? Is this where the non-partiers would want to live? Are they only in Stanford?</p>

<p>Also can you sign-up for dorms before you formally accept?</p>

<p>SVMMom, here is a link to the UM page about the substance free floors. I believe they are only in Stanford, but someone else can probably verify that better than I can.</p>

<p>Stanford</a> Residential College</p>

<p>Also, my MyUM page shows that I must put in my deposit ($300) before doing my housing. ("Once the check has been received, and you have become a verified student, you will be allowed to make housing and dining arrangements on myUM.") </p>

<p>Also, keep in mind that the $250 housing deposit is non-refundable. </p>

<p>Hope that helps</p>

<p>Thanks for the info!</p>

<p>One more question. Are these substance free floors hard or easy to get on? My D is not a partier in the least and would really benefit from being in an environment with others who felt the same. Does she need to sign-up early to ensure a room?</p>

<p>SVMMom, I think my D needs to meet your D if they both end up at UM. My D is not a partier at all and loves the idea of a sub free community.</p>

<p>I find it funny that they stress that there is to be no alcohol or other substances in the dorms, yet still have sub free floors...</p>

<p>Well, even if there were no substances in the dorms (which would never happen, I went to college, I remember) , there would still be students going out on the town to party. That is one thing my D was very worried about, ending up rooming with people who were more into the social scene. She is waiting to hear from Cornell and Brown still. If she does not get into one of them, she will definitely be going to Miami. Having substance free floors is very important to her and makes all the difference..</p>

<p>SVMMom, my D is still waiting to hear from Brown and Cornell, too!
Her dorm concerns are the same. She does not want a roommate who will come stumbling in at 3 a.m. reeking of smoke, etc. She loves what she has heard about the sub free dorms at UM. (So do I.) So different from when I went to college and drinking was legal at 18.</p>

<p>notan4me</p>

<p>Wow! What a coincidence. I bet if they both go to Miami they will get along great. What sate are you from and what will her major be?</p>

<p>We are from NJ and her major is Biology/Marine Biology. She was accepted into the Rosentiel School program.</p>

<p>P.S. Yeah, I did a lot of stumbling myself in college, lol!! She is not into it at all. So funny how different she is from how I was.</p>

<p>the substance free floors are only in stanford. also facebook is a good way to find a roommate with similar interests. I know a lot of people that found their roommates over it.</p>

<p>SVMMom, we live in NY (Long Island) and D is going to major in journalism.
Have you visited UM? We have not yet, but D is a Singer finalist and we are going down at the end of March.
(BTW, if our Ds both end up at Brown or Cornell, they should meet as well!)</p>

<p>banana321, thanks for the info. Are you a Miami student? Do you live in Stanford? Any more insight would be welcome!</p>

<p>Can freshmen apply for Mahoney, Pearson, or Eaton rooms instead? If so, is there usually a long waiting list or something?</p>

<p>I want my own bathroom!! haha, or sharing with one other person.. but not tons of other people LOL</p>

<p>thanks!</p>

<p>notan4me</p>

<p>We are going down April 13-17, making a vacation out of it. Tell me what you think after you visit.</p>

<p>Banana321</p>

<p>Is it hard to get onto the substance free floors? Are they popular?</p>

<p>SVMMom, just revisiting this thread...D and I loved Miami when we visited! D did not get into Brown and was waitlisted at Cornell. She is waiting for info from one other school, but I think she is going to pick UM. She met a girl who lives in sub free housing and got a great feeling for it. This girl and her friends love sub free so much that they petitioned the school to create sub free for upperclassmen. It is being implemented this fall!</p>

<p>Has your D made a decision? Will your upcoming visit be the dealbreaker? Keep me posted!</p>

<p>Notan4me</p>

<p>Hi! We are in Savannah right now and will be in Miami on 4/15. We are going to Cocoa Beach first with the whole family and making a vacation out of it as we drove down. </p>

<p>Glad you and your daughter loved Miami! My D also got rejected from Brown but got a Guaranteed Transfer from Cornell. She will probably either go to Miami and love it or go to Miami and still be in love with Cornell and transfer after one year. So glad about the substance free dorms! That is big with my daughter. I'll know more after the visit. I'll keep you posted.</p>

<p>SVMMom, I think our daughters just became friends on FB...</p>

<p>Wow! That would be crazy if they ended up rooming together and found each other w/o us helping! </p>

<p>We had a fantastic visit to Miami and got back late last night. First thing this morning she was bugging me to put in her deposits and she is now officially a Cane! She loved everything about the school, said it was a 10 on a 1-10 scale of what she was looking for in a school. She met with the head of the Marine dept. and talked about research opportunities, then had a student peer advisor give us a private tour. She sat in on a class and was so impressed with the Professor and students (both their intellect and friendliness) that she came back to meet us talking a mile a minute, which always means she is VERY happy! She now says she will only go to Cornell if things go badly the first year at Miami. We found the campus beautiful and the Admins very helpful and friendly. If anyone wants more info, ask away!</p>