Double Major

<p>How easy is it to have a double major at CC? For example, I'm interested in some sort of Marine Biology major (does this exist??) and an Environmental Science major. Would this be possible? Does anyone have any experience with a double major at CC? </p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>I think CC is the wrong school for Marine Biology.</p>

<p>hollygolightly9:</p>

<p>Some of the most renowned female scientists in the US graduated from Colorado College, including one that matches your interests.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Jane Lubchenco
Dr. Jane Lubchenco is an environmental scientist and marine ecologist who is actively engaged in teaching, research, synthesis and communication of scientific knowledge. Her research expertise include biodiversity, climate change, sustainability science and the state of the oceans. She grew up in Denver and received her B.A. from Colorado College. At 21 she was seduced by marine biology during a course in invertebrate zoology at Woods Hole. She has lived near oceans ever since. She received her PhD. and was Assistant Professor at Harvard University. In moving to Oregon State University in 1978, Jane and her husband Bruce Menge pioneered an arrangement that allowed both to continue to teach and do research but also devote considerable time to their young children: they each held a tenure-track 0.5 FTE position. At OSU, she is Valley Professor of Marine Biology and Distinguished Professor of Zoology. She has received numerous awards including a a MacArthur Fellowship, a Pew Fellowship, eight honorary degrees (including one from Princeton University), the 2002 Heinz Award for the Environment, and the 2003 Nierenberg Prize for Science in the Public Interest from the Scripps Institution of Oceanography. She has 8 Science Citation Classic or top 0.25% papers. She has been president of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and the International Council for Science; was elected a member of the National Academy of Sciences, a foreign member of The Royal Society and an associate of The Third World Academy of Sciences; and was nominated to the National Science Board by President Clinton and confirmed by the Senate. She is founder and co-chair of the Aldo Leopold Leadership Program and lead PI of PISCO, the Partnership for Interdisciplinary Studies of Coastal Oceans (an interdisciplinary consortium of scientists collaborating to understand the near-shore portion of the California Current Large Marine Ecosystem off the west coast of the U.S. She recently co-chaired Governor Kulongoski's Advisory Group on Global Warming and has provided scientific advice to congress, U.S. presidents, other heads of state, CEOs of major businesses and religious leaders around the world.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I suggest that you go to the Colorado College website and research in the Biology department for the course offerings, majors and research opportunities at marine stations. I think you will be very pleasantly surprised.</p>

<p>FYI-- in 2002 Discovery Magazine listed the top 50 US women in science. Three graduated from CC. Only MIT had more (4).</p>

<p>I am actually a freshman and am majoring in environmental science. After taking a biology class earlier this year, the school is working with me to be an EV science major with a biology focus. Since EV is interdepartmental, you can hook it up with many things. I am also getting my education certificate to teach later. There is alot you cna do here...</p>