Dr. Bonner's Candid 2013 Fall Fac/Staff Address: Her plan to raise Graduation Rates

<p>[Video</a> | University of Alabama News - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://uanews.ua.edu/video/]Video”>http://uanews.ua.edu/video/)</p>

<p>I just watched this and was impressed with Dr. Bonner’s candor about an area in need of improvement at UA, the six year graduation rate. Right now, UA is tied with Auburn in the middle of the SEC for that rate. She has a plan for raising UA’s rate to that of Florida’s. Impressive talk, filled with info about the great things happening at UA, as well as her vision for the future.</p>

<p>i wonder what her plan is? </p>

<p>The rate at all schools is often tied to students changing majors, dropping classes or not having enough funding to go “true full time” (15+ hours a semester).</p>

<p>She goes over the plan in the video.</p>

<p>I suggest they INCLUDE THE UPPER DIVISION COURSES (Culverson) REQUIRED to GRADUATE in the DegreeWorks plan.</p>

<p>hurrrumph.</p>

<p>My two cents…</p>

<p>To clarify, UA’s six year graduation rate is increasing, but according to Dr. Bonner, it is not increasing fast enough. Thus, her plan to emulate the Univ. of Florida’s success. They were where UA is in 1992, in terms of graduation rates.</p>

<p>I haven’t watched the video yet, but I do know that it can be hard for a public univ that sits in a largish metro area to improve its grad rate w/o eliminating some of the Townies…which I don’t think Bama will do. Townies are far more likely to take longer to graduate because they live local, work part-time, and go to school part-time (or not “full-full-time”)</p>

<p>^Tuscaloosa is about the same size as College Station, smaller than CS and Bryan together. No reason UA can’t get to TAMU’s graduation rate.
[Texas</a> A&M Admissions: SAT Scores, Financial Aid & More](<a href=“http://collegeapps.about.com/od/collegeprofiles/p/Texas-A_M.htm]Texas”>Texas A&M Acceptance Rate, SAT/ACT Scores)</p>

<p>TAMU uses a strict admissions req’ts which is a huge help. It’s not as tough to get into as UT, but the average townie isn’t likely accepted. That makes a big difference.</p>

<p>Texans seem to readily accept that only the state’s top students get to attend UT and TAMU…and everyone else has to go elsewhere. AND…and this is a BIGGIE…the state of Texas provides good aid so that those local students who can’t get into TAMU or UT can go elsewhere in the state. </p>

<p>Since I don’t see the state of AL providing aid, there would be a firestorm if Bama suddenly shut out students who aren’t top 10% or top test scores…especially if those students were locals who need to be able to commute from home for affordability.</p>

<p>^ Average SAT and ACT scores of incoming freshmen now appear to be becoming comparable and the acceptance rate at TAMU appear to be higher than UA’s. Consensus seems to be that the Texas top 10% rule reduces the average accepted qualifications. Unfortunately, many schools are not very good and top 10% is not necessarily a highly qualified individual.<br>
I think Dr. Bonners goal is achievable and I would be disappointed if she was not trying to achieve this.</p>

<p>I think holding each student accountable every semester will help reduce the number of students who frequently or drastically change majors, especially changes from one college to another (e.g., STEM to business, when STEM courses cannot be used to meet CBA req’s or visa versa).</p>

<p>I personally liked that DD had to have a 4 year plan in hand for her first on campus advising meeting - it meant she had to sit down and think out her path (she did that with our help before school started, but the exercise is important whenever it is done). Doesn’t mean she can’t change her mind, but by going through the exercise and getting proper advising she knows what the consequences of drastic changes will be to her chances of graduating on time (4 years is our family’s timeline for each kiddo).</p>

<p>“Texans seem to readily accept that only the state’s top students get to attend UT and TAMU…and everyone else has to go elsewhere.”</p>

<p>no they don’t. not one bit.</p>

<p>Mike Wozowski, I agree with Mom that Alabamians might be a little touchy should it become very difficult to get into the favorite university in the state. But I agree with you that UA needs to embrace even higher selectivity. There are plenty of other schools in Alabama for the lower tier students. I know that sounds elitist, but higher selectivity at the state flagship will help everyone in the long run, including those rejected who decide to stay in Alabama.</p>

<p>The other side of the Texas top 10% rule is that students who attend rigorous private/magnet schools can have amazing GPAs/stats and not be in the top. Some transfer out junior year to lessor schools if they Really want to attend UT.</p>