Dr. Witt wants to take enrollment to 35,000

<p>

Nope. But that’s one of the reasons we love UA and, apparently, one of the reasons you transferred to a school more to your liking. To each their own. Hope you’re doing well, ABR1190.</p>

<p>^^
In one of ABR’s recent posts, he said that he’s not happy at his new school, either and he’s transferring again. At some point, it’s more about the student than the school.</p>

<p>so I decided to go to a smaller in-state school, but it’s farther away from where I grew up, and I’m just as miserable here</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>LOL…so true.</p>

<p>feeno…you’re a grad student and when you were an undergrad, you always commuted, so your outlook is going to be different than a resident student. </p>

<p>As colleges go, Bama is a very friendly campus.</p>

<p>Here’s what Dr. Witt actually said:

By definition, it can’t be “too late” to monitor the effects of a larger student body on campus culture when you are doing it contemporaneously over the next 10 years. And that’s the other part of this story: Dr. Witt wants to increase UA’s student body by nearly 5,000 students by 2020, not tomorrow.</p>

<p>

That’s an average increase of 477 students per year over the next decade. I’m not sure how much more thoughtful and gentle this expansion could be.</p>

<p>That’s why it’s too late, malanai. The over-expansion and packing of students into the campus like sardines (which is evident to any student - not just commuting students - unlike m2ck’s assertion) in the period from 2005-2008 and its effect on the culture of campus is done and over with. UA is a different place than it was in 2005, for better or for worse.</p>

<p>I have no idea what UA was like in 2005-08, but count my son as one student who feels anything but packed in like a sardine in 2010. Since 2004, UA has “executed $1 billion worth of building work,” with even more on the horizon. </p>

<p>[Dialog</a> - UA Faculty & Staff News Campus Changes Reflect UA’s Growth With Quality](<a href=“http://dialog.ua.edu/2010/08/campus-changes-reflect-uas-growth-with-quality/]Dialog”>http://dialog.ua.edu/2010/08/campus-changes-reflect-uas-growth-with-quality/)</p>

<p>The culture and friendliness my son experiences on the UA campus is consistently warm, gracious, fun, challenging, personal, and forward-looking. I don’t know if that’s better or worse than it once was, but it’s mighty fine.</p>

<p>???</p>

<p>My kids do NOT feel “packed in like sardines.” Not at all. Their class sizes are relatively small or moderate sized. Yes, a few of the 100 level classes were big, but their 200-level ,300-level, and 400-level classes have been very manageable…mostly ranging from 8 students to 40 students.</p>

<p>Feeno…I don’t think you’ve spent much time visiting other schools’ campuses to know what’s going on elsewhere in the country. Try being with 25,000 kids on 400 acres of land. LOL</p>

<p>Or, try a CSU where 35,000 students are on 235 acres! Lawn? What’s a lawn??? And many, many classes are very large theatre style where you can’t see the whites of the profs eyes).</p>

<p>I did spend time on Bama’s campus in 2005 (not daily, but a few visits and a few “sit ins” of classes), and yes, the campus is different (and the roads are DIFFERENT!)…but to imply that the school is packed like sardines is just not true.</p>

<p>While I am not very familiar with the UA of 2005 and earlier, I do know that UA has done remarkably well in keeping the culture and professor/administrator accessibility of a 10,000-17,000-student school as it has expanded to 30,000+ students, many of whom are from OOS. I readily admit that there have been growing pains, but when compared to the forced tripling of students in dorm rooms and the inability to graduate in four years that happens at many schools, we have it pretty good. Feeno, I feel that we should have a more detailed discussion on what UA needs to improve.</p>

<p>With any school, but especially at larger schools, one does have to make an effort to get very involved in clubs, research, and campus leadership. While I am admittedly not as active on campus as momreads’s son, for example, I am still quite active in campus organizations and have a great job. When attending a large school, one should take advantage of the opportunities afforded by a large research university. The fact that one is x miles away from home (2,000 in my case) is largely irrelevant. One can make UA their [2nd] home and be successful. While I do often miss my family, they are only a phone call or an 8 hour plane ride away, which is really not that far when you think about it.</p>

<p>Guys, there is a more to the feel of a school than the small number of 200-student lectures. There had been issues with insufficient capacity in the dining halls, the rec center, the on-campus housing, the parking lots (not to mention the football ticket issue), etc.</p>

<p>The facilities have had a chance to catch up to the increase in enrollment by now, but they should have been in place beforehand. At the very least, the powers that be should have been more careful in letting so many new students in so quickly. In fact, the enrollment expansion plan was supposed to go though 2013, not conclude five years early. I think Witt recognizes this, hence his remarks.</p>

<p>That is what I took from ABR’s statement. Certainly, no reason so make personal attacks.</p>

<p>ABR’s comments were mostly directed at the “friendliness” of the campus…which he complained about when he was there. He ignored (was in denial) that it was far more HIM than the school. Evidence is that he’s just as miserable at his new school and will be transferring AGAIN. (Frankly, a few of us predicted that he would not be any happier at his new school and would likely seek another transfer.)</p>

<p>There had been issues with insufficient capacity in the dining halls, the rec center, the on-campus housing, the parking lots (not to mention the football ticket issue), etc.</p>

<p>Again…these are common issues at all schools (and the situations are often much worse on other campuses). Dining halls across this country are crowded during meal times. Campus parking is a major problem across this country. As for housing…OMG…housing is a much bigger problem on other campuses…on other campuses, kids are forced into triples. </p>

<p>And, which school with “big football” doesn’t have a student tix issue???</p>

<p>Again…if you visited more campuses across this country, you’d see how much MORE Bama has. And, Bama (unlike many other schools) at least is addressing these issues. Many other schools are completely land-locked (have NO room for expansion) and have NO money, and therefore can’t do a lick about their issues (but make them worse with more cutbacks).</p>

<p>I don’t see where you were “personally attacked,” but if you felt that you were, I’m very sorry. :)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Oh get over yourself, would you? I was taking a jab at both things really–I really do think the school has over-expanded and continuing to do so would be a mistake. </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>lolwut? I’ll admit that yes, I have suffered through depression and I’m just now getting over after having it at some level for 7 years or so, but I will still stand by what I’ve said in the past–the school is majorly unfriendly, although the administration is a lot easier to deal with than my current school.</p>

<p>And what evidence are you talking about? I’m doing fine at my school. Do you really have nothing better to do than to go through my posts? That’s pathetic.</p>

<p>^^^
*He ignored (was in denial) that it was far more HIM than the school. Evidence is that he’s just as miserable at his new school and will be transferring AGAIN. *</p>

<p>*
And what evidence are you talking about? I’m doing fine at my school. *</p>

<p>Well, this is YOUR thread entitled “Transferring Twice”…and your post…so here’s Exhibit A…</p>

<p>*a few months after high school, I decided to go to a very large out-of-state school, but I was miserable there because I didn’t think I really fit in there (and also it was very expensive) and was homesick and depressed a lot, so I decided to go to a smaller in-state school, but it’s farther away from where I grew up, and I’m just as miserable here. *</p>

<p>I rest my case. </p>

<p>(By the way…I didn’t have to search through a bunch of posts to find that. Like I said, I knew that you wouldn’t be happy at Chatt, so last October something reminded me of you so I looked up your recent posts…and less than 24 hours earlier, you had posted the above. It was weirdly coincidental. </p>

<p>And, if you read some of the recent posts here on Bama’s threads you would read that a whole bunch of people find Bama to be very friendly. So, why you may think it unfriendly, I think the issue was more you. )</p>

<p>Even though I shouldn’t dignify you with a response, I’ll send you a PM mom. But, I hope trying to discredit me makes you feel better about the school your sons go to. But, please, grow up and act your age.</p>

<p>I hesitate to get into this, but I would like to say that if we are not allowed to have any negative opinions on UA here then the thread has lost its’ purpose. To revel in the struggles of a student in finding his place immediately struck me as cruel, which I know could not have been the intention. Have to remember that behind every post here there is a person, a son, a friend… whatever.
ABR - I wish you great success in finding what works for you. My DS really loves UA, but that doesn’t mean everyone will have the same experience. You have to do you :)</p>

<p>^^
I’ll respectfully disagree AL34. While reasonable and valid criticism is IMHO a valuable aid to students/parents trying to make their college decisions, the motivation and history of those posting negative opinions help us evaluate their credibility. College students are suppose to be considered adults and should be responsible for their comments on a public forum. Again…just my opinion…</p>

<p>Some interesting facts to consider in this discussion:</p>

<p>UA’s enrollment increased 47% between 2002 and 2009. Between January 2003 and fall 2009, the university opened 40 new buildings, including 10 new residence halls, two new dining halls, and four new academic buildings. During that period, UA completed renovations and additions of 1,390,287 square feet. As of fall 2009, UA was in various stages of design and construction for new, renovated and additional space for eight facilities.</p>

<p>Source: [Record</a> Enrollment - The University of Alabama](<a href=“Page Not Found | The University of Alabama”>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>Here’s another link to a nice article about the views of a few alumni on the development at UA: <a href=“http://alumni.ua.edu/magazine/fall-2010-volume-90-no-4[/url]”>http://alumni.ua.edu/magazine/fall-2010-volume-90-no-4&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>If you’ve got time on your hands or, like me, have had a little too much coffee this morning, view and/or download the UA Campus Master Plan: </p>

<p><a href=“http://www.uafacilities.ua.edu/planning/pages/master-plan/campus-master-plan-5-07-1.pdf[/url]”>http://www.uafacilities.ua.edu/planning/pages/master-plan/campus-master-plan-5-07-1.pdf&lt;/a&gt; </p>

<p>It’s a big pdf file (35mb) filled with great stuff (text, tables, pictures, etc.). Here’s just a snippet:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Residential Villages: The University will develop additional on-campus housing in the form of multiple residential villages that offer a hospitable setting for living on campus, where students can live and learn comfortably and congregate together. This plan affords potential sites for new housing development throughout the areas along the perimeter of the core campus. These villages will offer endearing architecture, modestly scaled to residential use, and abundant outdoor space to foster memorable experiences and relationships.</p>

<p>I wonder if the Bryce Hospital land will be used for one of these “villages”. Bryce seems like it would be a good spot for more residential housing. </p>

<p>It seems that Pres. Witt wants to simultaneously expand the grad school (and maybe the law school), so that would likely entail the need for more “family” housing. However, there are many nice apartments in the area as well which probably serve married grad students and their families as well.</p>

<p>Another snippet from the UA Campus Master Plan that may be of interest:

</p>

<p>Related to this, in a section entitled, “First Principles,” is the following:</p>

<p>

</p>