Duke Early Decision for Fall 2023

Did she submit her AP scores? Congratulations!! wow!

Look up Duke2027

2 Likes

Did that legacy aspect change recently? When my S21 applied, we were told that legacy counted for RD as well. Admissions was pretty clear that the best bet was applying ED + legacy.

3 Likes

Mid atlantic State. Indian. Good luck!

Only the ones that she had 4 and 5s. Good luck to you!

What does Hickups even mean? That’s so vague.

Just adding to the anecdata here:

D deferred. Legacy, caucasian, relatively large competitive private high school. 34 ACT, all 4’s and 5’s on AP tests. School limits # of AP courses through soph year, so she’s taken 7 of max 8 or 9 if memory serves, all Honors courses otherwise. Grades are 0-100, so hard to scale to 4.0 but her typical semester is in the A range in Honors classes and A- or A in AP classes. Weighted GPA probably puts her around the top 6-7% of her class based on historical data. Senior captain of a sports team but not a serious athlete. High profile community work and leadership roles in service orgs., but hasn’t published research, started a fashion line, or solved physics problems that have vexed humanity for a hundred years or whatever.

In other words, excellent student but one who knew Duke was a stretch (and would be a crapshoot even if she had a 101 cumulative weighted GPA instead of a 99). So deferral feels like a little bit of a win for her. Lots of great schools in her pool of applications, and she’ll have fun choices to make come April.

4 Likes

This sounds like my daughter exactly!! But now that we were “lucky” enough to be deferred - I am wondering if there is something extra we can do to be pulled into the acceptance group?!!

I don’t think that follows, unless “this agreement” also requires the applicant to pull all extant applications from other schools as soon as they receive an early decision acceptance letter from Duke. Highly unlikely that it does, if for no other reason than the fact that all schools reserve the right to revoke their offer of acceptance, for any type of applicant, if they become aware of circumstances that would justify it (like having a really bad set of first semester senior year grades, for instance). Wouldn’t be equitable to have the ability to leave students high and dry like that, requiring them to pull other applications but retaining the ability to pull their acceptance. There are also justifiable circumstances under which a student can get out of their commitment in the ED agreement - financial change of circumstances, family reasons, serious physical impairment, etc., so again it would be asking too much to make students cut the cord on any contingency plans.

I’m pretty sure the ED agreement requires you to matriculate if the school doesn’t revoke its acceptance, but there’s no prohibition against waiting to see what happens to your applications at other places. I think in 99% of cases, it would be bad form not to withdraw at other schools as soon as you were admitted to your ED choice, but I don’t think not doing so is going to get anyone in hot water with their ED school.

My son was accepted to Duke ED. He had until January 3 to respond to the Offer of Admission. The Offer of Admission asserts that you understand and accept the conditions of admission, including the language referenced in my earlier post that Duke may share the identity of enrolling students with other colleges and universities. It also includes language related to maintaining academic performance, etc. and that you agree to abide by and accept the Duke community standards. If you accept Duke’s offer of admission, then yes, the assumption is you will attend Duke and abide by the terms of the offer, else risk possible revocation. I certainly wouldn’t advise someone to accept the offer, and roll the dice to see if a “better” offer comes along from another school. I suppose you could apply ED and not accept the offer and still keep other applications open, yet that also violates the spirit of the ED form the student, parent, and counselor all attest to when you apply ED in the common app.

I am certainly not an expert in admissions. But reading the Duke ED agreement sends a strong signal that you need to keep your grades at the level they were when you were admitted; don’t have any “code of conduct”-type issues pop up; and don’t try to game the system.

Here is a link to a College Confidential blog on this topic:

You are expected to commit to your ED school and withdraw all other applications. If you cannot afford the ED school, you can decline and leave all other RD applications out there.

But no, you can’t apply ED, not decline, and leave other offers out there.

5 Likes

Same thing we were told with '21, bigger bump is with ED, but legacy is a factor inRD too, and I do not believe it has changed.

1 Like

Not specific to Duke, but I know multiple students who applied / accepted ED to Ivies, who then did not pull their other applications and were accepted RD to other Ivies. Acceptances to both the ED school and the RD schools were rescinded. This happened to several students. So yes, students can and do get “into hot water” with their ED schools if they do not honor the process.

5 Likes

Interesting. Will go back and read the ED agreement as I don’t recall this being a feature, though it wasn’t something we were focused on. Moot point for our kid, and as I noted, it’s certainly contrary to the spirit of the thing to leave other apps out there. I was speaking as a lawyer, not a parent :slightly_smiling_face:.

Could make for an interesting legal case, though, in the event of a fact pattern of student who’s admitted, accepts, then has admission rescinded by school for bad first semester after they’ve pulled their apps from deep backup schools that wouldn’t be put off by their semester 7 grades (not sure how this could be proven, of course), and now they’re not going to college for another year. I assume the university argument would be that there’s a voluntary acceptance of that risk in return for the benefit of an earlier decision from the school, as the student’s in control of their own academic life. I guess in most cases high schools have their grades out before deadline to accept, which lowers the likelihood of the hypothetical fact pattern even more.

2 Likes

Yes, and because every college that I know of conditions the acceptance (including RD) on maintaining a similar high school record, graduating, etc., I don’t think you can argue that ED is any different.

Remember too that the applicant accepts thecterms of the ED application. If they really want to see ALL results, there is an option for that - RD.

I realize you are just playing with this notion as a thought exercise, but every year, there are folks here who would like the system to work differently and who tryvto find ways of doing just that on their own behalf.

No doubt. We’ve recently learned of a kid at my D’s school who got an ED acceptance and, allegedly, has yet to pull their other apps because they just want to collect more notches for their belt. Which, of course, means that they’re ensuring one deserving kid (quite possibly one from their own high school) does not get accepted to every other place this student does, with no intention of actually attending. Emphasizing the word allegedly above, as this is hearsay, but I have no doubt it happens. Having been educated by you all on this thread, it’s amazing to me that anyone would take the risk of getting caught with their lines still in the water after they’d already landed the big fish, just to stoke their ego.

2 Likes

The school’s GC should care as well as it impacts the school and its students.

At some level, though, this also points to the problem created when acceptances are seen as prizes or rewards. (Notches in belt). It’s a bad way to view colleges and an even worse way to assess other people.

2 Likes

ED is good when the school is your first choice. EA is farce. Most get deferred to regular.

1 Like

Does anyone know when deferred students tend to get re-reviewed? Like what month?

ED deferred get reviewed again with RD and an updated decision will be released with RD decisions.