E Bikes - Will you be buying one?

CA has new laws and is offering financial rebates on e-bike purchases, so CA wants its citizens out of their cars and on e-bike it seems.

As I mentioned above, I’ll probably be replacing my Toyota with an e-bike. If I need a car, we still have those too. Most trips are 10-15 miles or less, and I’d rather be riding a bike I think at this point in my life. And my local area has an extensive bike lane network.

And there’s a huge crowd of bikes on the roads around here every day already or people bike down and put them on Cal Train, which is train between SF and San Jose.

3 Likes

Clever. We have dedicated bike lanes in Chicago and it’s expanding. I signed up to get information. Seems like an easy conversion

we rented e-bikes in colorado and loved them. I’ve bought one now.

but for some reason, i’ve been hesitant on using it. I know why - i’m afraid of the battery over heating and combusting. SO - my next step will be to get a timed automatic shut off for the the outlet; then i wont be afraid to charge it and use it. Its strange how something small can just derail my bigger ideas.

2 Likes

I’m still just learning, but slowly e-bike manufacturers are selling e-bikes with UL certified batteries making them safer.

1 Like
1 Like

My husband and I ride bikes for fun, the problem is he enjoys a much longer ride than I do. We also live up a hill and I have to walk my bike the last bit home. An e-bike could be a good solution. I still want exercise, but just a little boost when I need it.

2 Likes

Pedal assist is your friend! Also helps when starting from a full stop.

3 Likes

This sounds so nice! I’m wrecked from our ride yesterday :joy:

its interesting - my son’s U just outlawed all e-scooters for dorming freshmen - because of fire safety. they are allowed on campus, but not allowed to be charged in the dorms.

1 Like

That was one of the reasons I got one. My husband was doing really long rides and I couldn’t do the hills. Now, I pass him up hill!

1 Like

The college probably doesn’t want to police which scooter is OK and which is not to charge. Given that the market is flooded with scooters with questionable battery quality, that ban makes sense.

2 Likes

You should stop at a bike shop and try an e-bike. Just be prepared that due to the extra weight you’ll be relying on pedal assist more than just the times you currently need a bit of help.

1 Like

That’s good information. I’m sure it’s an adjustment. I’m riding an old beach cruiser now that belonged to my daughter in high school.

1 Like

My retrofit adds about 15 pounds to the front end of the bike. The wheel has a motor in it. And then there is the battery too. It’s heavier but not excessive.

1 Like

I still ride my 1982 Schwin Letour Luxe. Had several bikes since this one came into my life. But none have ever fit my body as well as that one.

2 Likes

E-bikes (and regular bikes) are legally allowed on our suburban town’s sidewalks, as well as the walking trails in the parks. the city is all-in for pedal power. I’m sure that they won’t put any restrictions on them until a a few residents gets run down and hospitalized.

Doing 25 mph on the same walking trail where seniors are shuffling with theri walkers makes zero sense to me.

Most states regulate some classes of ebikes on bike paths. I’m surprised ANY bikes are allowed on your sidewalks, or walking trails. That’s definitely not the norm.

Where I live we have wide paths with designated bike lanes and pedestrian lanes. Our trails are pretty rigorous though, so I’m not seeing elderly people with walkers out there. I’ve seen all manner of bikes and e bikes.

There is no state law in CA prohibiting bicycles from sidewalks. Moreover only a handful of cities in the state prohibit them. So e-bikes so-far fall under those rules/regs.

Our city transport Comte is looking into it, but their mission seems to that cars=bad, bikes=good (for environment and health), so anything that hinders the the use of bikes is bad.

As I posted earlier, we’ll have to have some serious injuries before e-bikes get regulated on the sidewalks/walking paths.

Perhaps a trail speed limit makes more sense than disabling e-bikes (though I realize harder to enforce). I know an older person with heart concerns who is now able to bike again because he knows he can get back home if winded. He has no intention of taking it to the top speed /20mph).

2 Likes