Early Action - Class of 2024 Decisions Only Thread

Decision: Accepted
College of Engineering
OOS PA
3.78 unweighted GPA AP and all Honors classes
30 ACT
13/332
NHS, Tri-M, SNHS, TSA
Several leadership positions along with science and music/theatre involvement, community service

Daughter Accepted
Communication Science
In-State
4.53 WGPA
Top 5%
1370 SAT

Waitlisted, in-state
Liberal Arts and Sciences, undecided
4.2 W, 3.9 UW GPA
34 ACT composite
Top 10% of class
Multiple leadership positions (Key Club President, Class President)
8 total AP classes 11th and 12th grade
Governor’s School attendee
Pretty good recs, essays were also good considering how short they had to be!!

Not to sound ~arrogant~ but I am a little surprised, especially considering other schools I’ve gotten into (UVA, JMU Honors, etc). Can anyone provide some insight into what could’ve gotten me accepted?? I’m really curious!!

Be interesting to see how heavy they pushed to the waitlist this year and how many get pulled from waitlist. I can’t imagine a circumstance where the didn’t rely heavily on waitlist this year to avoid last years issues.

Im seeing a common trend that people with really high stats arent getting in. Idk why, but I think they are putting more value in personal traits/character this year.

Remember - you are looking at less than 1/10th of a % sample size when you see results posted here. Every year there are lots of high stats kids who don’t get accepted to certain schools for whatever reason. Schools like VT who have binding ED often waitlist high stats kids who applied EA/RD because their historic data trends towards a lot of those kids having applied to the school as a safety.

Accepted
Business
OOS
3.5 WGPA
1370 SAT

Decision: Accepted College of Science
OOS Daughter
Super Score 1290
UWGPA 3.87
WGPA 4.20
11 AP Classes
Varsity Volleyball
Various Honor Societies and clubs
Created a charity event for St. Jude
Various volunteer positions
PT job

Daughter accepted
Business
In-State
3.94 UW/4.15 W
8 APs
33 ACT
Top 10%

Waitlisted
OOS- Vermont
Architecture
1570 Sat, 35 ACT
7 AP Classes
National Merit Finalist
Strong essay? I thought?
EC: Paid Architectural Internship in Washington DC, 3 Varsity Sports (XC captain 2 years)

VT away my first college to hear from, and I considered it my safety so I’m really shocked and devastated. My other schools are much more selective. Does anyone know why they may have made this decision?

Son accepted
Engineering
OOS
1370 SAT
4.0 UW/ 4.7 W
Will graduate a year early with 5 APs
Top 10% ranking
Varsity baseball
PT job
Community service

DS Accepted Out of State

Mathematics
SAT - 1430
GPA- 4.63/5.0 W 4.0/4.0 UW
Rank- 3/390
7AP classes scores-2 5’s, 5 4’s
DE, 7?(don’t know exact amount) but A’s in classes
ECs- several and moderate leadership
Job and community service.
Competitive swimming through Sophomore year

Did not apply for Honors and only applied for General Scholarships. Since we don’t expect any aid, we pretty much know that the finances probably won’t work out but still excited for the YES!!!

Congratulations to all those who received their desired decisions today. I am confident all of these talented applicants will be successful at whatever school they end up calling home.

Pretty much a forgone conclusion W/L numbers were going to be high this year.

Could be any number of reasons for the W/L with very good stats.

Don’t read into it or take it personally, as hard as it may be.

Decision: Denied
Major: Engineering
In-State
3.4 UW/ 3.7 W
Top 40%
1380 (720 m 660 erw)
unfortunate ig

@pkulis I am in the same boat! it sounds like they are wait-listing a lot of kids who did consider a “safety” because of enrollment stats. There is still plenty of hope for all your other schools!!!

Major: Engineering
OOS from NJ
4.1 Weighted GPA
No Class Rank
1480 (Math 780 Reading 700)

I am so excited to join the Hokie Family!

S Accepted
B.S. Chemistry (College of Science)
OOS (Illinois)
4.6 WGPA (3.5 UW)
1510 SAT (790 M / 720 R)
School doesn’t rank

Also appears S was awarded a Provost Achievement Scholarship (small, $3k per year)

You didn’t apply ED, and your stats probably jive with historical data on those who apply EA/RD but don’t ultimately accept their offer. In your case their decision was spot-on. Don’t take that to mean that you won’t be accepted to your other schools though.

Eeeek let’s hope!!

Major: Theatre Arts, College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences
In-State
3.5 Unweighted (3.8 after freshman year)
Class Rank n/a
28 ACT