ECs for UCs

<p>hey guys, i was just wondering how great of ECs i would need to get into like UCSD, UCD, etc (those middle-high UCs)</p>

<p>so far i’ve got sports, then i’m gonna do some medical-related ECs
i have a few clubs, but i don’t think that matters
the point is most of my awards were in like middle school, like i’ve won state awards</p>

<p>i’m concerned b/c i see all of these lists of ECs w/ a ton of stuff, and ppl say they may be rejected, so i was wondering what imput u guys have on this</p>

<p>^ (10 chars)</p>

<p>For starters, the higher your rigorous academic gpa is, the less you need to worry about test scores or EC's. Look at the point evaluation charts (search this site for admissions evaluations UCSD, etc) and you will see an exact breakdown of what they award the most points for. Those charts exist for UCSC, UCSD, and UCD. Also UC Berkeley if you can find a copy of some 60 page report that was posted here last year about comprehensive review. Good Luck.</p>

<p>i've looked at most of the formulas, but it seems like the only real way to get points is by getting high test scores/GPA</p>

<p>and there's not much u can get for ECs or volunteering</p>

<p>so how difficult is it? b/c my profile's not that good, and it seems like u need to have a low-class life to get in
by low-class i mean that it awards a lot of points to low income, adversity, etc. </p>

<p>is there a way to get in w/ an average profile (Davis, SD) w/ that points system?</p>

<p>It is possible to get an admissions offer with an average profile. Two difficulties, the average changes depending on the applicant pool and what does an average profile look like? The points needed to be admitted changes drastically year to year since the applicant pool changes drastically year to year.</p>

<p>what's the point cutoff for this yr? and how much does it change, like what would u predict it to be in fall 2009?</p>

<p>The selection score changes drastically from year to year. It is difficult to predict what the cutoff would be for 2008, let alone 2009. The score is determined by many factors that are not predictable. This is what causes the illusion that the UC process is a mysterious process. The process is so ambiguous because important factors aren’t known until all applications have been reviewed. Most likely Engineering will continue to be the most selective programs throughout the UC system.</p>

<p>does it matter if u declare or apply undeclared? and what about the "pre-med" majors? are they very selective, or about the same as other majors?</p>