ED and Fin Aid

If my S applies EDII and does not get a good FA package, can he get out of the ED agreement? I only ask because someone in admissions said no but the form says differently.

From the ED agreement (https://professionals.collegeboard.org/guidance/applications/ethics): “Should a student who applies for financial aid not be offered an award that makes attendance possible, the student may decline the offer of admission and be released from the Early Decision commitment.”

Trust the form, the official language. Imagine the PR disaster after somehow forcing attendance then expelling when the bill can’t be paid.

What form are you referring to?

The people who know this best are the admissions officers, so you should trust them. However, sometimes there is miscommunication, so you should definitely email them and ask them about the discrepancy.

@vonlost Universities are not obligated to do what the College Board advocates for.

The OP’s “but the form says differently“ above. mcr976, ask if the school expels when the bill cannot be paid after somehow compelling attendance.

I would ask for the clarification but in doing so would be afraid that they would use that against him in the admissions process

You can ask anonymously with a phone call.