Electrical Engineering - Case vs ASU vs OSU

My daughter from southern California got EA acceptance from ASU, OSU and Case for EE major in bachelor program. Case being private, is it worth spending another $85k over 4 years? I heard they have good Co-Op program but not sure if they have good recruiting for EE graduates . Appreciate your feedback. On the other hand , I believe, ASU is more gelled with industry at least for EE but bigger class size and faculty student ratio. Also applied Barrett, awaiting response. Thanks in adv!

You should be able to look up the first destination surveys for your D’s major at all three schools and get a sense of where students are going and starting salaries.

FWIW, the engineering students we know that went to Case were all gainfully employed upon graduation. That said, OSU typically is ranked higher in OH for engineering.

1 Like

My S is at OSU doing EE and he loves it. He followed his big sister there who also loved the CoE so much she stayed and earned her MS (biomedical/mechanical). They both have had paid research opportunities. There are also lots of opportunities for clubs and engineering competition teams. If you’ve never visited, the campus layout is pedestrian friendly. It’s like a series of colleges adjacent to one another. You do get to know the other engineering students through group work, dorms, clubs, etc. The ECE department is very friendly. https://ece.osu.edu/ I’d also look at the youtube video collections for the university, college of engineering, ece dept., labs, clubs, etc.

The advantage for Case is that there is no secondary admission to the major with their single door admission.

ASU has better weather.

1 Like

Thanks, will check those surveys and try to get insight. Yea on rankings its better than case (24 vs 32) for EE

Thanks, being OOS, student, hopefully OSU can offer some scholarship. Otherwise it will be at par with Case. I noticed letter says Pre-Major entry and not intended major. What are the chances you have to get the intended major, per your understanding?

Pre-Major (introduction to engineering) coursework: https://advising.engineering.osu.edu/prospective-students/pre-major-program

Applying to major: Admission to Major | Engineering Advising

Discussion of advantages/disadvantages of FYE/pre-major programs is here First year engineering programs' secondary admission to major criteria

1 Like

Engineering report with enrollment data:

engineering education at ABET-acredited schools is pretty similar. I don’t see any benefit to paying an extra $85K for substantially the same thing.

As for coop, I haven’t heard of Case having a strong coop program the way schools like Georgia Tech or Northeastern do. In a strong program the coop is integrated into undergrad for those that participate, with scheduling of when to do it part of the 5-year plan and participation is the norm. Briefly perusing the Case webpages it sounds like coop is up to the student, and they don’t mention how many take part (at Northeastern, for example, over 90% take part). Furthermore eligibility is for juniors and seniors (although you can ask special permission as a sophomore) according to Frequently Asked Questions | Engineering Co-Op Program By contrast at Northeastern “Students start their first co-op the second semester of their sophomore year or during the summer after their sophomore year.” So you might want to do some further investigating regarding Case past what you have perhaps casually heard because it doesn’t sound much different than what any student at any college taking the initiative to find a coop can do.

If the finances work out and your daughter has other reasons than education for going OOS (college fit, living in a different part of the country, meeting people from different backgrounds, etc. are all perfectly valid reasons) then she should look OOS. But since engineering education is so similar no matter where, there are plenty of affordable CSU/UC options that produce engineers that do well in the workplace.

Go to your least expensive option. All will yield employment

Thank you’ all yes need to do more research on the good reason to be OOS e.g. if they have some strong program like coop, etc. to justify the cost. Case is medium size school with FS ratio around 11:1. ASU gets attractive with comparable tuition as for California. OSU and ASU ranks decently also ( around 25 for EE) Will hear in next few months from UCs as well.

grad21 writes: Thank you’ all yes need to do more research on the good reason to be OOS e.g. if they have some strong program like coop, etc. to justify the cost. Case is medium size school with FS ratio around 11:1. ASU gets attractive with comparable tuition as for California. and ASU ranks decently also ( around 25 for EE)

• Every college has coop and internship programs. What differs is how much help they give you in finding them, who comes on-campus to recruit, and how many kids participate

• FS ratio is virtually meaningless. If you want to know class sizes then look at the Schedule of Classes (most colleges have them online). Find the sample curriculum for an EE major at the U in question (also online) and then look up the class sizes.

• In this and previous posts you bring up rankings. Rankings mean little for engineering; you’d be hard pressed to find differences in what is taught. There are a few elite schools, but as others have said graduates of just about every engineering program have good job prospects. Make that great prospects if they have good grades and ideally at least one internship.

In terms of a well recognized set of content taught for the given major. Different schools may have different ways of organizing the curriculum, and some may add additional major or general education requirements beyond the usual set for a given engineering major.