Employment Outcomes for Liberal Arts Majors

<p>Does anyone have any data or anecdotal evidence for the employment outcomes for bama grads in “soft” fields? (English, history, pre-law tracks, etc) I know our STEM majors fare fairly well, but I’ve yet to hear stories of students who have “soft” majors and who don’t go to grad school. </p>

<p>No feedback? </p>

<p>Given the profile of the typical student represented on this board, I would guess that most of those who have “soft” majors go on to graduate level education or to opportunities like Teach for America and then graduate school, rather than directly entering the job market. </p>

<p>so much depends on the major and career goal. I think it is too broad to just say soft fields.</p>

<p>I resent the characterization of liberal arts majors as “soft.” As a former English major, and the father of an English major at UA, I think “soft” is a loaded term and is insulting. FYI, my son has a solid math and science background but chose to follow his bliss. He is going to graduate school, and from there, who knows.</p>

<p>And I recall arguing with folks back in the 80s about this. College is not just about preparing for a particular field so you can get a paying job. It’s about being educated. </p>

<p>One more thing… Liberal arts majors are more fun at parties.</p>

<p>Good for you Slippy, I agree more fun at parties and you know an English major can write. One reason I’m a little disappointed in the removal of the essay part of the SAT. I hired someone recently who then told me that “writing wasn’t his strong suit” unfortunately that is a deal breaker.
S started in A&S but switched to Biz. This weekend I read an article on CC asking whether Business wasn’t the “new art history” major, unless you were Finance or MIS of course, sigh. S is thinking about Biz school in the future though.
On another note S wasn’t able to find an internship last summer despite sending out over 100 apps. He did work though, which was good. Fingers crossed that he finds one this year as it would be nice to have one prior to Sr year. </p>

<p>^^^As a card-carrying member of the Professional Organization of English Majors (POEM), you’ll never find me arguing against majoring in English (just against going into debt to do so); however, the essay portion of the SAT (may it suffer eternal damnation) was a travesty. Accruing points for making up facts and lack of brevity? Sorry, that’s antithetical to everything one is taught in a rigorous English class!</p>

<p><a href=“SAT essay section: Problems with grading, instruction, and prompts.”>http://www.slate.com/articles/life/education/2013/10/sat_essay_section_problems_with_grading_instruction_and_prompts.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Edjumacation, my recommendation is to supplement your major coursework with as many business and quantitative classes as possible and try to get a work-study job in one of the university’s academic or administrative offices. I managed to parlay a work-study job into a lifelong career, and there’s no doubt that the business courses I took (and highlighted prominently on my resume) helped along the way, especially in the early years. </p>

<p>Slippy, sorry for offending you, it was just the only catch-all phrase I could think of for the fields I’m trying to group. As mom2collegekids brought up, that was probably a bit too ambitious. </p>

<p>^ Try “squishy” or “fuzzy” next time. </p>

<p>Just kidding.</p>

<p>“Erudite” might fit…</p>

<p>Probably “non-STEM” would have been better. </p>

<p>I’m not offended. Sorry for being terse. It’s St. Patrick’s Day. Cheers!</p>

<p>As an English major and graduate, I would strongly discourage majoring in English, unless you’re planning on teaching.</p>

<p>My D is double majoring in English and Spanish and minoring in Latin. She has no clue what she wants to do with her degree. She would love to teach high school or college but everyone she tells that to tells her jobs are too tough to come by. The only good news is that she will have no debt when she she graduates with her bachelors. </p>

<p>Mominwestlake, Nephew majored in “romance languages” at an Ivy League School. He does have a job which he got from that Ivy League School in Brazil (he’s coordinating programs there between the school and the youth). Loves it, although my sister isn’t as she misses him. Good luck to your D. I am sure she can use her experience and degree and get a job in many different areas.</p>

<p>@mominwestlake- I was recently told many high schools in our local area would like to offer Latin- but the teachers are too hard to come by… Perhaps your D does have a future in teaching. :slight_smile: </p>

<p>Really, @InvolvedmomFL? My D would love to teach Latin. I told her that she needs to go speak to someone in the College of Education when she gets back to school since she is almost done with the classes she needs for her Spanish and English majors. I just hope she can speak to someone who is helpful. Her advisor doesn’t seem to be helpful or my D isn’t asking the right questions.</p>