Engineering Academy Blinn vs Full Admission

I’m wondering about the Blinn option. The website addresses the benefits, but what are the disadvantages of the Blinn Engineering option? Are Blinn Engineering teamers less likely to qualify for their choice of major? Do they have to get the same GPA to get their first choice? Do they end up behind a year or on the same track as full engineering admits? Do they have to start with more basic courses or is the curriculum the same? Thanks in advance.

@CamandCam This is a great thread about the academies by some parents whose student went that direction. http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/texas-m-university/2062343-engineering-academies-p1.html If you have more questions about it, you can tag them.

1 Like

@CamandCam my son is a freshman at the Blinn Brenham location. You get most of the benefits of an TAMU student as you are co-enrolled. My son went to Fish Camp and has a student sports pass. The Academy students compete for major slots on the same level as the full time College Station students except for 1 fact. You must have a 2.5 GPA in your Blinn classes to qualify to move on. The Blinn classes follow TAMU curriculum. Blinn built a brand new dorm that the Engineering students live in and the engineering classroom is on the first floor. It is a living and learning community and class sizes are small, 25 students or so. You are at no disadvantage really for taking this option. I actually believe it is better than going Galveston because of its close proximity to College Station and it is much cheaper. Be aware that if you chose a major that requires calculus 1-3 you must complete the sequence at Blinn before you move on to College Station. My son intends to take Calc 3 during the first summer term in Brenham. The Engineering academy is a great option, it gives the students a taste of TAMU (they went to the the new zachary building last friday) but only a taste. I have found it to be very motivating to my son to study hard so he can transition ASAP next fall. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

Thanks @Thelma2 and @trinley . For Blinn Brenham academy, are all classes at Blinn Brenham?

1 Like

@CamandCam yes all classes are located at the Brenham campus.

@trinley Thank you for sharing. When is the first summer semester at Blinn? You also mention that the students need at least a 2.5 to transfer to CStat…but to get into the engineering major of choice, I’ve read that a 3.5 will typically insure first choice, and the average GPA of those admitted to their engineering major is around 3.2 - 3.3. Soooo…can the students from Blinn Bryan get into their engineering choice with a lower grade point? Hope this is not too confusing and sorry if I’ve used the wrong terminology. I have a HS senior who is waiting for COE and we are trying to understand all the possibilities

@Eggscapgoats I don’t know when the first summer term begins. You can probably find that on Blinn’s website. A 3.5 guarantees you your first choice major. That holds for full admit to CS, Galveston, Blinn Team in CS/Bryan or Engineering /academies. I suggest you review the Entrance to a Major (ETAM) web page. It explains the process. Basically, in the Spring of your freshman year you choose at least 3 majors. You compete for those limited slots. I believe over 80% of the students eligible receive either their first or second choice. All engineering students (CS, Blinn, Galveston, McAllen, Engineering Academies) compete on the same level. The only difference is that to be eleigible, an engineering academy student must have a 2.5 GPA in the Blinn classes.

Blinn Team in Bryan is not the same as the Engineering Academies. You apply to the Academy separately through the partner junior college. There are about 7 or so throughout the state. You can get that information from the A&M website. The advantages of the ace dies is that you are co-enrolled in both institutions my son went to Fish Camp, has an A&M ID and email, has a sports pass and has already met with his engineering advisor in CS. I am also saving a bout $7k this year as most of his classes are at Blinn and cost much less. The disadvantage is that he is not located in CS but he is using that as motivation to complete his required studies and transition next fall. Notice I stated “transition” and not transfer. Acedemy students are enrolled in the A&M engineering program. That is a huge advantage over a student trying to transfer to TAMU from another institution.

If your son/daughter is not admitted to TAMU but wants to be an Aggie the Engineeirng Acedmies are an excellent alternative. The one at Blinn Brenham will give your child a taste of the college environment as opposed to living at home and going to another community college that participates in the program. The students all live and study together. They all are in the same boat with the same goal. Get to CS ASAP and they work together to accomplish that goal.

@trinley Thank-you so much! That is a huge savings!