Engineering Academy at Blinn? (TEAB)

<p>So I recently received notification from TAMU through AIS that I was accepted to their 'new' TEAB program. Is this a new program they set up this year, and how is this different from Blinn? I can not find any information online on this program other than what was stated in my correspondence letter. I was extremely disappointed and shocked that A&M rejected me. I am still waiting for a response from UT Ausin, crossing my fingers all goes well and I don't get Cap/Rejected. From this perspective, if I do get CAPPED, what would be the other option, UT Austin at a different campus or Engineering Blinn. Would anyone know the cost difference/campus housing/etc of these programs?
I was accepted at UT Dallas, A&M Corpus Christi, and UH Main Campus; I don't really want to go here though, just giving you an idea. </p>

<p>Taken from Texas A&M website for admissions:</p>

<p>If Texas A&M University is unable to offer an applicant full admission, they may be offered the following options:</p>

<p>Texas A&M University Blinn Team Program
Some students will be admitted directly to the Texas A&M Blinn TEAM program, a collaborative effort between Texas A&M University and Blinn College. Students are co-enrolled at Texas A&M and Blinn College and have most of the same privileges of a full-time Texas A&M student. They can apply for on-campus housing, join clubs, attend sporting events and use campus facilities such as the libraries and Student Recreation Center. After two years of coursework, a 3.0 GPA from 15 hours at Texas A&M and 45 hours at Blinn College, applicants will be granted full admission to Texas A&M University.</p>

<p>Engineering Academy at Blinn
In response to the increased demand for Aggie Engineers, the Dwight Look College of Engineering has created the Texas A&M Engineering Academy at Blinn. This optional program provides talented students, who were not offered admission to the Dwight Look College of Engineering due to limited capacity, an opportunity to pursue their engineering degree in a dual enrollment program between Texas A&M University and Blinn College. Participants have many of the same privileges of a full-time Texas A&M student. They can apply for on-campus housing, join clubs and organizations, attend sporting events and use campus facilities such as the libraries and Student Recreation Center. After two years of coursework, a 3.0 GPA from 15 hours at Texas A&M and a 3.0 from 45 hours at Blinn College, applicants will be granted full admission to Texas A&M University.</p>

<p>I am confused why you consider this a rejection. An alternate form of admission, yes, but hardly a flat-out rejection. </p>

<p>I may be incorrect, but I think UT restricts what major you can pursue if you are in CAP (engineering being one of those). Someone will correct me if Iā€™m wrong or if this is information is outdated. This TEAB program sounds like a better deal. I also wouldnā€™t rule out the other schools you mention, esp. UTD. They have a fine engineering program. Iā€™ll paraphrase what one of TAMUā€™s admission counselors is telling others: if you have to choose, do you want to be an engineer or an Aggie? </p>

<p>Phamliam:</p>

<p>My son was also accepted into the Texas A&M Engineering Academy at Blinn. He got his notification yesterday and he is not quiet sure what to think about it. He has already received acceptance (with a substantial scholarship) at the top Engineering University here in SC. With that being said, I am encouraging him to take time to give Texas A&Mā€™s offer some thought. </p>

<p>He currently attends the South Carolina Governorā€™s School for Science and Mathematics. For the past two years, he has taken college level classes and beyond (research programs) and has proven himself academically. So not to receive full admission from Texas A&M shows that they clearly had a record number of ā€œoutstanding studentsā€ apply for the Engineering College. </p>

<p>The University here in SC does not offer Petroleum or Aerospace Engineering Degrees like Texas A&M does and since that is his top two career choicesā€¦ then he will need to really consider Texas A&Mā€™s offer or consider another field. </p>

<p>Basically, you were not rejectedā€¦ they simply donā€™t have enough spots for everyone who qualified for acceptance. And the way I see it, not all of those who got full-time acceptance into the Dwight Look College of Engineering will make it. Some will fail and some will simply change their majors. So if Texas A&M is what you want, then go for itā€¦ prove to them that you were the right choice from the beginning! </p>

<p>Best of Luck ~Gigā€™em Aggie~</p>

<p>To answer the previous comments, my goal is to be an engineer. And here, is where I donā€™t know which path to choose. UT Dallas, which is substantially further away from me than A&M/UT and their quality of education provided in their engineering sector/whether Iā€™ll find a job coming out from here. UT Austin, would be a dream to attend, but unfortunately, I have an oppressing feeling that I will be capped/rejected since my credentials are not in top 7% and my SAT/stats arenā€™t anything considerably extraordinary. I base this on my brother too, who was rejected from UT and accepted at A&M. He had scores very similar to mine; I guess I just thought my essays would shine and the administrators would give me the benefit of the doubt to succeed in their campus.
A&M; I am upset, because TAMUā€™s Dwight school was what I supposed would be my ā€˜backupā€™ school. The fact that I was put into the Blinn program, would require me to complete 2 years there. I understand this, and ask myself if those 2 years at Blinn are worth it to questionably transfer into Dwight. Would it be a better option, to go to UT Dallas, major in engineering, and try to transfer to UT Austin/A&M engineering or wait (1?) 2 years at Blinn to proceed to A&M. If anyone has been to these schools, I would appreciate feedback. My first pick is UT Austin due their prestigious engineering field, but Iā€™m not relying on the acceptance letter to come in since A&M rejected me.
Again if anyone has read until this point, thank you for the previous respondents, they were informative and I appreciate the time you guys have taken to respond</p>

<p>If I were you, I would call and speak to an advisor. You are not required to wait the full 2 years on Blinn TEAM. If fact, you are encouraged to apply for transfer early. They created this new program to allow more students the opportunity to attend TAMU. You have will have classes at both campuses. I would encourage you to attend a NSC or visit with an advisor. </p>

1 Like

<p>from TexAgs Forum:</p>

<p>Since it is a brand new program, there will only be about 250 TEAB students this fall. They plan to expand it in the future, but will start small. </p>

<p>The big advantage it gives students is the ability to take the Engineering courses they need to make an ultimate transition into the COE. As parnecr mentioned, there is never a guarantee, but this program will position students perfectly to make a successful transition. </p>

<p>Iā€™m glad to hear yā€™all are weighing the options. As Iā€™ve mentioned on the main admissions thread, I encourage you to ask your students whatā€™s more important, being an Engineer or being an Aggie?</p>

<p>Let me know if I can be of further assistance!</p>

<p>Jon Buchanan '99
Assistant Director of Admissions
Aggieland Prospective Student Center
jon.buchanan at tamu dot edu</p>

<p>Tel. 979.458.0950
<a href=ā€œhttp://texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=2230552&forum_id=17ā€>http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=2230552&forum_id=17&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Just wondering, but what did it say on your AIS that indicated you got into TEAB? </p>

<p>This is what it is saying for me: <a href=ā€œhttp://ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– /Ivt7luā€>http://ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– /Ivt7lu&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I canā€™t get a picture of mine, but under ā€˜select applicationā€™ it says "Freshman, Engineering Academy at Blinn, it moved to step 5, and choice 1 college and major say Dwight Look CoE, Engineering Academy at Blinn, Bachelorā€™s Degree-unspecified.</p>

<p>I just got the same offer. Iā€™m really not sure what to think of it. As part of the Engineering Academy the packet they sent says that if I got a 3.5 GPA after the first semester (year)? Then there would be a ā€œoptional early entry into engineeringā€. My question to you all is how hard do you think it would be to get a 3.5? </p>