engineering programs for above average student with additional criteria

U Mass Lowell is very strong in mechanical engineering, with strong co op and jobs options in Boston.
its a little higher than you may want to pay, but I think he can get in with his scores, probably. He should try to take
the SAT again, and focus on getting his math score higher.

Lowell is often overlooked, but also very strong in materials science. There are a fair number of part time students at Lowell, and practical engineering programs.

https://www.uml.edu/engineering/mechanical/

SUNY Buffalo has special investments in engineering, and strong too, if he can stand that western NY location with
snow and cold.

U of Dayton is the go to school for GE Edison Scholars for the GE plant in Cincinnati, they send their engineers to earn masters degrees in aerospace, mechanical and materials engineering. Its a Roman Catholic school.

Some schools admit more students than their departments of more popular majors can handle, so they do intentional weeding out of the more popular majors, typically by high GPA requirements or competitive admission based on college record to enter or continue in the major. Engineering majors are often in this category at state flagship schools.

Or those schools could just be playing the numbers. Many schools offer admissions to many more student than the school can handle, but know not everyone is going to accept. The engineering dept that don’t have enough places for all the freshmen to become juniors know, from experience, that not everyone will stay in engineering. They want those jr/sr classes full.

Re: #23

Natural yield at frosh admission can be accounted for, as can natural attrition as students progress from frosh to junior. But if a department needs to require a GPA or grades substantially higher than good academic standing (2.0 GPA and C grades), that means that school is admitting and enrolling more frosh than natural attrition will shrink to department capacity.

What about Case Western Reserve University? It’s a little pricey, and the non-STEM options are limited, but I know a lot of people like it. I’m not sure about the mechanical engineering program in particular, but it’s well-regarded for STEM in general.

Is your son willing to look at bigger schools? Most state flagships would work (and probably offer some scholarships). Many states also have science and technology schools that are specifically engineering/STEM, whereas flagships would offer more choices if he doesn’t end up liking engineering.

@SuperSenior19, I don’t believe the OP has the stats to get into CSWR. If they did, it’s $70k/year. I highly doubt merit money would be plentiful.

@ucbalumnus, certainly schools that intentionally over enroll exist, but by far they are the exception to the rule, even for state schools. That’s why I qualified with the term “typically.” One could certainly unmask them though by looking for programs that require highly competitive admission to major. I say " highly" because something like a 2.0 really doesn’t count. That level of GPA is required just to stay in school.

I agree with @eyemgh that the scores for CWRU are usually above 1400. It seems unlikely a student can go from a score of 1299 or so. Math scores matter the most for CWRU also.

CWRU has PLENTY of non stem options by the way @SuperSenior19. Its one of the best music programs in the midwest, with CIM, strong in English and psychology, and nursing, as well as accounting. Business and pre law are very strong at CWRU. Political science is good at CWRU.

The state schools in Ohio come in at just around $40k. I like Ohio University. The schools have enough other programs that a transition can easily be made if engineering turns out not to be what he wants.

Look for other states where OOS gets you in at under that $40k limit. There are a number of them.

Sometimes the best deals are right at home. Manhattan College turns out engineers from kids with 1000 SATs. The SUNYs are excellent value. If he’ in 10% of class, free tuition for STEM majors

@Coloradomama, although CIM is affiliated with CWRW, it operates as an independent entity. Students at CWRW cannot take classes at CIM or switch into CIM after admission to CWRU. CWRU does have it’s own music program though.

We know this well because our engineer son was also a very accomplished classical musician. His favorite master class instructor was (still is) on faculty at CIM and our son was accepted to CWRU. The only way to study with the CIM faculty member was by taking private lessons.

@eyemgh Yes, but thats all the CIM professors teach, is performance type music lessons and music theory. Our son
was a hornist there, at Case. He was able to play in the University Circle Wind Ensemble with CIM, as they needed horns back then, but I think string players at Case cannot play in the CIM orchestra, but there are other string ensembles that will work.

There is a joint program now between CiM and CWRU, so now CWRU students can take classes at CIM,
see this program, the Case students take music theory and music lessons at CIM, those are the only classes CIM offers.

All CIM students have always taken all their English and history and other general ed at Case. Also if
they want to become K-12 music teachers, that program resides at Case.
https://music.case.edu/about/joint-program-with-cim/

My son played at the CIM venue as well, and he never applied or was a CIM student. He was not even a music major
or minor in fact, although he went to Case thinking of minoring in horn, auditioned and got into the music program at Case. All the advanced horns could take lessons at CIM, as I remember.

Also look at what they have done with the Synagogue if you have not seen this, its magnificent for dance majors,
theatre majors at Case-
https://case.edu/maltzcenter/

Also this joint CWRU program with the downtown theaters in Cleveland, Cleveland Playhouse-
https://theater.case.edu/graduate/

We really liked the philosophy classes at Case Western, its a true liberal arts school , the Western Reserve College, combined with Case Institute of Tech, back in 1967.

By far, the Arts and sciences is stronger and better at Case than some of the engineering fields, so I don’t know
why everyone pegs it as an “engineering” school. It think its more well rounded. For instance, every freshman reads a book before the fall together and discusses it. Every major, including the nurses, takes three reading and writing classes to graduate.

Its a pretty interesting school, Case Western, see the Ethical Business program, with the Enamori Center at Case.
That group sent my son on two leadership conferences, all expenses payed, one was at the US Naval Academy,
and the other in Los Angeles.

Case Western also offers students mostly subsidized trips to fun cities over fall break, like Toronto, Los Angeles, and New York City. The faculty at Case are phenomenal, too for helping students reach their goals.

My son was able to take economics, math, physics, computer science, and also take quite a few English/philosophy classes, and he learned to write well. He got coached to apply to graduate schools in physics, and got into many. He got coached on how to pass the physics GRE subject exam and he got a very good score, using the Case Western study method.

I cannot say enough good things about Case, but OP cannot get into it, with a low SAT score.

@Coloradomama, I’m glad the music worked out for your son! It’s cool that Case students can take CIM classes now. I don’t think it would have swayed our son had that been the case back then, but that wasn’t what killed the deal for him. It was more about the factors and location of the other schools that nudged CWRU out. I can say without hesitation that Case, CIM, and Cleveland FAR exceeded our expectation. What started as a visit just because he got so much merit aid, turned into a VERY pleasant surprise.

This isn’t the small size you were looking for but University of North Dakota has an ABET ME program and COA is around 30K. I have a friend whose son goes there - he had the opposite problem when applying, strong test scores and weak grades - and he’s quite happy. It probably wouldn’t be your sons first choice (no one starts out saying “I wanna go to NORTH DAKOTA for college!” but it’s good to have a broad range to apply to.

Along the lines of UMass Lowell, but going south, I would recommend a look at UMBC , Univ of Maryland, Baltimore County, if looking outside the NY metro area. Stats would be in line, although I would recommend a retake to try to get above 1300. VCU in Richmond is another possibility.

Also, UNC Charlotte and East Carolina have engineering departments worth looking into. Personal note:My kid attends a nonflagship technical university. His SAT scores were similar to OP’s child. He is in CS and finds the courses challenging, but is able to keep up. The campus vibe is a bit kinder and gentler than our state flagship’s.

I just saw OP’s earlier comment about the south. A lot of kids in our NJ area do like VA and NC though.

S20 wants a smaller school and engineering. After visiting, he’s really in love with University of Minnesota - Duluth. We’re in MN, but it’s only a few thousand more for OOS at 29K COA. Your diploma from Duluth just says “University of Minnesota”, so you have the big name and it shares a lot of the same resources, but it’s only 11K students instead of 50K or whatever U of M is these days.

It’s also MUCH easier to get into than CSE at U of M.

Another option is University of WIsconsin - Platteville. It’s about 7000 students, is ranked #35 in the US for engineering programs on US News and is only around 22K for OOS. This one is on our list as well, but we would lose our MN grant and DS really wants Chem E which they don’t offer.

@privatebanker: “Has a major in explosives engineering, only one in the country.”

Wow. I thought Cornell was cool simply for offering classes in tree climbing and shooting. An actual major in explosives engineering blows that all to hell!

Another Binghamton suggestion here.

Small schools with ME and good merit in PA
Widener
Gannon

Hofstra in NY has some merit, but not certain it would come down enough.