Engineering Students: What Kind of Laptop Did You Get?

<p>We know that laptops aren't required. We've heard that plenty of students get by using the on-campus computers. But I'd really like to get one for my son. He'll be a mechancial engineering major.</p>

<p>Engineering students: Any tips about laptops? Which operating system (is Windows 7 good)? Certain software that's required/useful? Minimum computing requirements to consider? How's the wireless access on campus? Are their certain laptop features you would recommend?</p>

<p>Anything you wish you had considered prior to purchasing your computer? Anything you're really happy with on your laptop? Anything particularly disappointing?</p>

<p>Thanks! :)</p>

<p>I’m only through the first year, but as a MEEN major they’ll be taking track A for ENGR 111/112.</p>

<p>I have been very happy with my laptop purchase which is windows 7. As far as for those classes go they’ll provide you with free downloads from the tamu website for programs such as autocad, solidworks.</p>

<p>Wireless access on campus is pretty good, I never take my laptop to class or anything but I know my phone pretty consistently gets wifi.</p>

<p>Windows 7 is a pretty nice operating system. I have not had any problems with it and it seems pretty comparable in terms of speed and stability to Windows XP, so you shouldn’t get hung up on that. I have always been a fan of ThinkPads by Lenovo. I have nothing but good things to say about Lenovo.</p>

<p>what brand of laptops would you recommend… Dell, HP, Toshiba, Sony, Gateway, etc…</p>

<p>This is the laptop I had that got me through my first year at A&M.</p>

<p>[Newegg.com</a> - SONY VAIO CW Series VPCCW27FX/B NoteBook Intel Core i5 520M(2.40GHz) 14" 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 500GB HDD 5400rpm BD Combo NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M](<a href=“Are you a human?”>Are you a human?)</p>

<p>I thought it did a great job and handled everything I threw at it. Sometimes I’d have solidworks up as well as Photoshop CS4 and LabVIEW. I’m not really sure if that’s an impressive load to carry but I can’t really see someone doing more than that without at least closing another program, maybe it could do more. So probably equivalent or better components would make you be more than fine.</p>

<p>My only complain would be if the battery life was slightly better.</p>

<p>I’m not recommending Sony over anything else, there was just a good deal on it at the time.</p>

<p>Just don’t get a Mac. Their specs are good and the OS “feels nice”, but compatibility can be an issue with several engineering programs, and the price (as usual) is too high.</p>

<p>For me personally, I had a terrible experience with my HP and Windows 7 OS.</p>

<p>I am a freshmen at Texas A&M in Qatar
downhere laptops are provided by the university
for the past 3 years it has been toshiba
hope it helps</p>

<p>DS has a Mac desktop. He enjoys the 24" screen. You can run the programs on the engineering dept. computers and use your Mac screen. You can load Windows on the hardware if you feel you must. I guess the specific software you use depends on your major.</p>

<p>You will find that Macs are competitive when you consider that they come with higher end hardware, and a .pdf creation software and other application software as part of the OS. If you don’t like Macs that is fine.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I’m going to fight you on this one.</p>

<p>Everything you listed above is available on a PC: The big screen (obviously), the .pdf software (if that’s even a perk rather than a function), etc. The “higher end” hardware might be true in some cases when you compare base model to base model, however then you must factor in price. You can buy and install hardware upgrades for a base model PC that will make it run smoother, faster, and have better graphics than a Mac for that price differential when comparing base models.</p>

<p>Then, here comes the big whammy: software. Since this pertains to the engineering student, try running a commonly used program like SolidWorks on a Mac… you’re going to have issues. Then you must worry about installing windows, getting Bootcamp, or going to the engineering lab, etc. to run the windows-based software. It’s a big hassle that you can avoid by simply buying a cheaper and more practical PC.</p>

<p>Macs function wonderfully and have their place, just not to the general undergraduate engineering student.</p>

<p>Run Parallels for the Mac (Do not have to buy a copy of Windows for this). This will make all that hastle of bootcamp (having to reboot computer) nonexistent for a sum total of 75 bucks. Mac is not a bad option and for 1500 dollars. I find it well worth my investment.</p>

<p>gstein,</p>

<p>I am not interested in convincing anyone to use a particular OS. My point was that Macs are a credible option, and that some people may prefer them - even as an engineering student. My post was not a recommendation to the OP for an OS. It was meant as a suggestion to consider other options. Linux is worth considering too. </p>

<p>You will likely get better hardware for the money when you by a Windows machine than on a Mac. Linux is probably the cheapest alternative as you can use Intel hardware and not pay for your software. </p>

<p>Windows may be a better solution for most people. There is practical safety in numbers. There will be more people in your situation facing the same challenges. However, many people still prefer a Mac or other solutions, and that number is not nearly as small as it used to be. Choice is a wonderful thing.</p>

Picking a laptop does depend on major, but also personal preference. You can use a Mac or a PC, but in the end the question is how are you going to deal with the problems you may face. Would you rather have a really nice Mac, but have to put in the extra money here and there to deal with software compatibility issue, or would you rather have a decent PC but worry about many other things such as viruses or the laptop breaking. The choice is up to you. Do research. Listen to what others have to say, but don’t be swayed by it. And pick a laptop that will last you for at least your undergrad years.

Macs have viruses too, though they generally are more secure than Windows PCs, you can always install windows on one but it will cost you more.