Engineering transfer chances?

Hi, I’m currently a freshman at William and Mary, and I applied to V Tech’s E school for fall 2015. William and Mary doesn’t have an engineering school, but I went to TJHSST, a science and tech high school in NoVA, and did pretty well there. At William and Mary I’ve been able to take Gen Chem, Calc 2, and Orgo 1, so I’ve satisfied Tech’s baseline requirements for transferring into engineering. However, I haven’t had the chance to take linear, multi, physics, or compsci, which are recommended for transfer students. At W&M I’m doing chemistry research, and I have engineering experience from high school. My GPA at WM is 3.58 and I have a 2320 SAT score. Does anyone have any input on my chances?

My guess is that they’ll admit you, but that it will take you 4 full years there to complete the degree requirements. However, the last I checked, cost of attendance was about $9k/year lower at VT, ($22k vs. $31k @ W&M), so even 4 full years at VT could cost less than 3 more years at W&M.

My further guess is that they will be less concerned with your HS grades and test scores, and most concerned with your college grades in science and math classes. As a general rule, HS performance is used to predict college performance, but your actual college grades so far are a more reliable indicator.

Thank you! This seems reasonable.