Ethical delimma - advise needed

<p>I took a makeup AP exam and there were only three students in the room. The test was given by a sub who didn’t know our names. One of the students took the exam for another student. The student who was supposed to be taking the exam will be attending one of the top 3 UC’s. The student who took the exam and the student who was supposed to be taking the exam are known to be some of the biggest cheaters in my class. I felt kind of nervous during the test just knowing what was going on. I feel like I should say something but I don’t want to leave high school being known as a snitch. Any advice would be appreciated. Do other high schools require ID’s to be shown when taking an AP test?</p>

<p>No, my high school didnt require id's. If i were you i would call the office of Integrity( the number should be on the back of your AP Student Pack). Tell them you want to remain anonymous.</p>

<p>I wouldn't say anything, but then again I'm not a snitch.</p>

<p>I think in this case, you should say something. That is a blatant act of cheating and shouldn't go unpunished.</p>

<p>Don't tell on him. Let him get caught cheating on something that he can actually be punished for. Who cares if you cheat on an AP exam? What's the collegeboard going to do? Invalidate your scores? He's a senior, he won't care. Catch him cheating in school then snitch on him. It will raise some eyebrows at the UC he's going to.</p>

<p>This illegal act should not go without consequences. Do not just “go with the flow” and not speak out. It is your duty, as an AP student, to make sure the integrity of the test not be tarnished. Report them for this wrongdoing and you’ll be doing them a favor. If they go unpunished, you can bet they’ll continue cheating in college. However, by then, it’ll affect them for life.</p>

<p>If you tell you risk getting your test invalidated... but im not saying what the guy did was right but if you studied your ass off for the exam and just have your test invalidated that would kind of suck...</p>

<p>let him try to cheat his way through college. with any luck, he just might fail.</p>

<p>If it were me, I would ignore it. You risk your test being invalidated also. It's not worth it. This person will get it in the end. 4.0 kids in my school that cheated their way through high school ended up with a lot of rejects on college admissions because of low SAT's. This guy will bomb out of college.</p>

<p>As an old fogey that went through a UC in the 70s (and 80s and 90s), cheaters rarely get caught in college unless someone calls them on it. The one thing those of us who were honest and never cheated always appreciated was those teachers than learned students names at the beginning of the quarter and watched everyone like a hawk during tests and kicked them out and gave them an F when they were caught cheating but this was a rare occurrence. Cheaters have many years of practice honing their skills and it is very frustrating when they get acceptances to professional schools instead of the honest ones. It may not seem like that big of a deal now but there are long term consequences especially when there are limited spots for professional or grad school. It also makes you wonder what kind of physicians, dentists, etc they ended up being....kinda scary. If the AP exam is like the MCAT, there is a possibilty of a note being put on the reporting person's score that it was taken under non-standard conditions but the score might still count. At some point you have to decide whether the perception of being a snitch is a worse thing than them taking advantage of your honesty and integrity for their benefit. I would have been inclined to follow the path of the many when I was your age but I have learned over many years that these people rarely pay for their mis-deeds.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the input. I haven't decided what to do yet. I keep hearing the words of my mom, "cheaters never prosper" and I want to believe that the cheater will eventually get caught or won't cut it in college. As quirkymom said, this cheater has been honing his skills for years and hasn't gotten caught and obviously doesn't feel guilty about his cheating. I really don't care much about passing that AP exam. The kid who took the exam was fidgeting so much that I could hardly consentrate. I really like the kid who took the exam and don't want to get him in trouble. I feel like he must have been pressured to take the exam for his "friend" which is similar to the pressure I'm feeling for not saying anything. My school has a history for not punishing cheaters which I believe causes more cheating. Policy says that cheaters will get zeroes on exams but it never has happened since the kids I know who have been caught are some of the highest ranked kids in school and had the best chances of going to great schools. I was surprised at my lack of disgust for this unethical act but I think that I've seen so many similar occurrences over the last four years that I don't care as much any more. I will however continue to be an ethical student because in the end, I know that what I achieve will mean more to me if I achieve honestly.</p>

<p>wait, why would the person who reported the incident have their score invalidated?</p>

<p>
[quote]
I want to believe that the cheater will eventually get caught

[/quote]
</p>

<p>How will he eventually get caught if no one calls him on it?</p>

<p>I am appalled that this happened - and that it was allowed to happen. </p>

<p>I knew lots of cheaters in HS, and none of them amounted to much, but none of them got into top schools, either. They cheated because they didn't want to do the work, not because they wanted to get all As. This seems like a blatant case of grades-for-grades sake.</p>

<p>This case also explains why so many colleges have strict honor codes that not only obligate students to be honest but also to turn others in. I know that at my alma mater, I could have been brought before the disciplinary committee for not reporting cheating. Ignoring cheating was as bad as cheating itself. I never faced this dilemma, however, because I never knew anyone who cheated in college.</p>

<p>I really don't have any advice for you. In a perfect world, you would report the cheaters, punishments would be meted, and the incident would be behind you. However, our culture looks down on snitches more than it does on cheaters - go figure. With only three of you in the room, it would be pretty easy to narrow down who the snitch was. Maybe you should talk with the other honest student?</p>

<p>After you graduate, I suggest writing a letter to the principal and your guidance counselor saying that having a sub proctor allowed some testing irregularities that you chose not to report. Urge them to take better precautions in the future so that this kind of situation doesn't put other students in a difficult position and so that it doesn't reflect badly on the HS itself. (I suspect that the HS can also get in trouble for allowing one students to take the exam for another.)</p>

<p>Also in a perfect universe, the test-taker blew the AP. :-)</p>

<p>virtue for virtue's sake can prove to be destructive.</p>

<p>we should not esstentially avoid vices, such as taking the easiest way out, if employing them will benifit us. vices like that should not be pursued for their own sake.</p>

<p>similarly, virtues should not be pursued for their own sake.</p>

<p>both virtues and vices should conceived as a means to an end. you have take into consideration of its effects, not in terms of its intrinsic moral value.</p>

<p>anyways, its obvious that you are very conflicted. i can tell that if you snitch, it won't make you sleep better at night anyways. if anything, you will lose sleep over it if you tell on him.</p>

<p>COLLEGE!: I think the test might be invalidated because of a violation in testing protocol. Everyone who took the test in that room could be asked to retake it. It's not a given, however. It's the College Board's call.</p>

<p>College Board also administers the MCAT and they just put a notation that the test was taken under "nonstandard conditions". This even included someone that pulled a gun on the test takers during an MCAT testing!</p>

<p>"I feel like I should say something but I don't want to leave high school being known as a snitch."</p>

<p>Then don't be.</p>

<p>
[quote]
virtue for virtue's sake can prove to be destructive.</p>

<p>we should not esstentially avoid vices, such as taking the easiest way out, if employing them will benifit us. vices like that should not be pursued for their own sake.</p>

<p>similarly, virtues should not be pursued for their own sake.</p>

<p>both virtues and vices should conceived as a means to an end

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Ah, gotta love the moral relativism. So murder is OK if you don't get caught and you get an inheritance? Hogwash!</p>

<p>someone else, just remember (and I wish I could remember who said it), "The only thing necessary for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."</p>

<p>Chedva, ditto. I don't even understand why there would be a question. Turn it in.</p>