Ever feel stuck/not wanting to stay at a job but still not ready to leave?

28F, I got my bachelors back in 2018 & got my first job in higher education upon graduating. I worked in academic advising for about 2 yrs & it was a really bad experience (with the staff/mgmt). After I found a job at another school in career services & left after 3 months b/c the boss was neurotic. After being w/out a job for 6 months, I found my current job in financial aid at another school working from home.

I’m told by mgmt that I’m good at my job but I really don’t feel ready to work in leadership yet (mgmt thinks I’m capable). I will say I don’t really like working overall, the only thing keeping me at this job is the fact that I don’t have any tension w my coworkers & on good terms with mgmt (been here almost 2 yrs). The job overall is overwhelming & I had to go on leave for 3 months bc I felt burnt out. I was offered a job in the same company/different dept, while on leave I was offered a job at a different company & declined both.

I wanted to leave b/c of the pay too but with my annual raise it’s more in line with other companies & don’t see the point in leaving. Seeking a job that really checks my boxes role wise & has to bring in more pay substantially. Is this a common feeling or am I unrealistic? It just makes me so anxious

Perhaps you would benefit by seeing a career counselor to help sort out your likes and strengths ans how they might help with a job search.

In addition…you haven’t been happy at any job, it seems. I wonder if it might be worth some personal counseling to sort out why this keeps happening to you.

4 Likes

Ever feel stuck/not wanting to stay at a job but still not ready to leave?

Yes - every day - I make too much to leave and no one else would pay me what I make for what I do.

And I’m not willing to take a huge pay hit to do something else (if I could even find something more enjoyable).

In your case, you’re early career - and you have to decide.

You have many years to work - so what do you want? What would you enjoy? Unless you’re rich, you’ll be working.

Being good at your job is great usually but sometimes it holds you back. You’re so good a boss won’t let you go. I was a PPT and Excel guy for years and it held me back til someone said, let him do something else. In your case, you’re not ready to move up.

You might look to explore different roles, look at grad school curriculums - are there any majors out there that might interest you career wise and could that degree help you pivot? Or higher education is such a wide field with so many areas like a business - are there other departments at your school/organization, that after a period of time, you can apply to transfer to - and would those “excite you.”

Years ago I thought I wanted to be in MBA Career Management and interviewed at UC Davis and USC. It never happened - but I was giddy about being on a campus every day and as an ex outside sales guy I had the skillset to recruit employers. And while it didn’t work for me, I had an excitement - and applied for jobs and got interviews.

So study the world…find that passion.

And make sure you sleep and get exercise - really. The overwhelming part - make sure you take breaks - 15, 30 mins a few times a day and get outside and take a walk.

Good luck.

Actually…in looking at your other threads, I would strongly suggest you get some counseling. You sound very unhappy in just about everything, and that really needs to be addressed.

3 Likes

This is a partial summary of your thread authorship dating back several years…

Given your history of career challenges and it longevity, I think your needs are beyond my expertise. I would seek professional help for your personal and professional needs.

3 Likes

I’m with Catcher. I interview people all the time who feel stuck but are not ready to leave. And they fall into two buckets- People who are stuck professionally but otherwise have a pretty good handle on life, and people who are just STUCK and attribute it to their job.

OP- it seems as though you are having trouble moving ahead in life- and you are assuming it’s because of your work situation. I’d posit the opposite- your work situation is a symptom of everything else you are feeling.

A good counselor can help you unstick. Sending some hugs… You can fix things- seriously. I love my work and almost every day (not every day, but almost every day) I feel lucky to do what I do. You can feel lucky too- you just need some help figuring out how to manage without feeling overwhelmed by challenges.

3 Likes

Not trying to be too defensive but the only relevant posts atm are this one & the other one from earlier this week. The other ones reflected my work situation at my previous job, again the job in this post that I described as being a bad experience. It’s a different type of stress I’m experiencing now, not sure how this reply is going to be taken

I remain sympathetic to your circumstances but you have displayed a concerning pattern of behavior that suggests the need for counseling from people who understand the totality of your situation and have professional training. I am trying to help you by suggesting you get meaningful help beyond a confidential community for college bound students. .

I think it’s beyond anyone’s expertise on an anonymous forum. For that reason, I wish you luck, but am closing thread.

2 Likes