Exchange Student from Australia to Wisconsin-Madison

<p>Hi there!
I am a student at a university in Australia that is considering doing an exchange to Wisconsin-Madison next year.
I am studying an undergraduate Arts/Law degree but I would only be pursing the Arts part of the degree on my exchange. Any honest comments on the French and Ancient History/History programs at Wisconsin-Madison would be greatly appreciated.
More generally, I am wondering what students' impressions of Wisconsin-Madison are like? Would it be easy for an exchange student to make friends? How big are tutorials, classes and/or lecturers? Is it a 'commuter' campus? What is the student life like? Are there many activities/events on campus?
Any other relevant comments would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thank you.</p>

<p>It has everything you want. Few commuters, great for your subjects, lots going on, and they will love your accent.</p>

<p>I'd add that the French Department is among the top 10 (some say 5) departments in the USA and includes La Maison Francaise on campus for French only meals and events:</p>

<p>French</a> and Italian Website | University of Wisconsin - Madison
The</a> French House at the University of Wisconsin - Madison</p>

<p>Classics is strong. The History Department is also a top 10 program. Campus is very social and kids are outgoing. Lots of school spirit and social places to hang out like the student union. It's one of the largest schools in the US with students active in tons of organizations. You'll love it.</p>

<p>Liberal campus, friendly. Go for it.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone for their thoughts. Really helpful.
Just wondering though. I come from a really big university in Australia with really big class sizes, so I am looking to go on exchange somewhere a bit smaller. Are classes overcrowded?
Just one other thing...Do most students live on campus? What is the residential life like in this sense.
What type of town is Madison too? Are there many things to do? What kind of touristy things could a person do in the environs of the university?
Thanks to everyone so far, it's been so great. Wisconsin is definately a top option.</p>

<p>On a slightly different note, just wondering if I could get people's opinions on the relative merits of UPenn (I know, it's Ivy League), Purdue, University of Georgia, University of Miami, University of North Carolina (any of its 16 campuses), UT at Austin or UWashington as these are some of the other places I could also go on exchange.</p>

<p>Thanks :)</p>

<p>You are asking for a ton of information on all areas of the US. I would presume you will come for the experience more than the toughest academics, each place has its own distinct atmosphere. You need to read up on each school online and decide also which climate most interests you. You may want to choose UW for the campus and northern climate and spend some time before/after the school year visiting other parts of the country. The "flagship" U- main campus- of each state you list will give you the best academics, although also the largest campuses but the most diversity on campus. Wisconsin has a terrain formed by 4 glaciers and snowy winters. Inland lakes, forests and downhill skiing- no mountains.</p>