Experiences at HBCUs

<p>For those of you who don't know, HBCU stands for historically black colleges and universities. I'm a black high school junior, but I go to a very racially diverse school (it's still majority white though). Since I'm a junior, I figured I'd start looking at some colleges this summer. I'm interested in Howard University, an HBCU, but I'm used to a more racially diverse atmosphere. And Howard is basically jet black. This question is mostly directed to people with similar circumstances as mine: for those of you who are black but grew up in a majority white/Asian/Hispanic atmosphere, how was you experience fitting in at a majority black school or HBCU?</p>

<p>Futacy, let me know what you find out - my daughter is basically in the same situation - grew up in a majority white atmosphere and is now being possibly recruited by an HBCU (possible full ride). From what I hear it’s mostly a positive experience (students come from mostly white neighborhoods/schools and such and LOVE it). D is looking at Alcorn. In Mississippi. We’re black from a pretty white suburb of Detroit.</p>

<p>We had NOT considered Mississippi.</p>

<p>I’m a parent so my experience is a little dated but I attend an HBCU in Hampton, VA - you can guess which one.</p>

<p>The first thing I learned at an HBCU was how diverse the black population is. I think some of you that attend mostly white schools actually share some of the same stereotypical views of blacks as many white people do. I grew up in a diverse school but was on the thuggish side myself (I was the stereotype). Then I met rich black kids, half-Asian black kids, middle class black kids, Africans, Jamaicans, geeky blacks, athletic blacks, blacks that can’t dance, blacks that golf and play tennis, musicians, intellectuals, activists, psycho, white talking, black talking, can’t understand a word they’re saying blacks, urban blacks, rural blacks and everything in between. Some schools have more of that diversity than others but it exists.</p>

<p>The second thing that I realized was that the class president would be black, the valedictorian would be black, student leaders, cheerleaders, and anyone in any position would be black. That meant to me that I could be one of those people. Coming from a mostly white school, I played my part to perfection. I didn’t expect to much for myself. I thought the white people got all the accolades and awards. It was all I ever saw. I realized that doesn’t have to be the case.</p>

<p>Again, I come from a different generation than now. But there needs to be better, smarter and more effective black leadership. Sharpton, Jackson and many in congress are all going to die soon. Their styles are old, tired and nearly irrelevant. New leaders are needed. Many paths are needed, not just singular goals of the Civil Rights movement. Today’s generation needs so much more than that. Plus, Blacks are becoming the third minority group - meaning that women and Hispanics are growing in political clout while Blacks fall further and further behind. Obama would rather help Hispanic immigrants before black inner city kids because of this demographic shift. Black people will need to evolve in this new reality and seek new avenues of access to power and economic stability. New alliances will be made and moves need to be made. Ultimately, HBCUs have created the kinds of leaders that can make the paths for others to follow.</p>

<p>I</p>

<p>@Futacy‌ My child came from a school, 65%white, 25% asian, and 10% black/other. It is a fairly affluent district. She attends Howard, and you would be surprised that most of the kids there, also attended the same type of schools. A lot of them wanted to go to Howard, because they were always the önly", eg. the only Black in their AP class, the only in national honor society. Now my daughter did not want to go to Howard, but she is thriving there. Even though it is majority Black, you have very different groups there. You would also be surprised at the number of Asians/Whites there.</p>

<p>For what it’s worth, alumni think highly of Howard and other HBCUs. At least the few hundred surveyed for this ranking:</p>

<p><a href=“The Alumni Factor: A Revolution in College Rankings (2013-2014 Edition) - The Alumni Factor - Google Books”>The Alumni Factor: A Revolution in College Rankings (2013-2014 Edition) - The Alumni Factor - Google Books;

<p>Howard ranks #20 for College Experience and #30 for Overall Assessment, higher in both categories than schools like Chicago, Harvard, Stanford, MIT, and Williams. (The results aren’t so easy to compare, but still, the fact that Howard performs better at all is interesting.)</p>

<p>Spelman and Morehouse, however, are the winners among HBCUs.</p>

<p>OP, the good think about HBCU’s is the “feeling @ home environment” as an African American.
Challenges you sometimes might have to hurdle through in non-HBCU’s because of your race is not an issue and you just have to concentrate on your studies and be the best you can be.
That being said, you have to also consider that when you graduate, the world will not be anything like the HBCU, so the question is, do you attend a more diverse school and work hard to overcome these challenges now?
Academically, you will get a quality education from Howard University. It has been under-ranked by US news the past 2 years, not sure why, but its indeed the best HBCU out there.
Another plan might be to attend which ever non-HBCU school you want to, and then spend a semester at HBCU before graduation or Vice -versa.
Best of luck to you.</p>

<p>Actually, the challenges become greater at an HBCU but in a good way.</p>

<p>There’s no well meaning white people apologetic for history trying to cut you some slack. There’s no coddling, no special help and no sympathy grades. It’s blacks of all stripes competing against one another for the top spots and prizes and nothing is handed to you. There’s also no crutch like racism to blame for your lack of achievement, success and advancement.</p>

<p>That’s why HBCUs are excellent incubators for leadership in the real world. You can learn to not make excuses and be self-reliant at the same time. Personally, I can’t stand paternalistic white people wanting forgiveness for a history that none of us lived through. Irritating.</p>

<p>No, Howard is not the best or strongest HBCU out there. North Carolina A&T, Spelman, N. Carolina Central, Prairie View all have stronger programs than Howard. Xavier of Louisiana excels over Howard in the Life Sciences. Is Howard weak? Not necessarily. But they are somewhat behind the others, depending on the department.</p>