Extracurriculars for rising senior summer

I’m a junior looking to apply to top liberal arts schools and T20s like Tufts, Northeastern, BC, etc. My intended major depends on the school but goes cellular/molecular bio, then biochem. I am thinking about applying neuroscience/microbiology to some places but still deciding.

I applied to a couple of research/internship programs for this summer and so far I’ve gotten into none. 2 were at my local state school, and 1 of those was through my district and not super competitive but I still got rejected so I am feeling very stressed about college applications now. If I don’t get into any of my remaining programs, I will just spend the summer playing my sports and working at my part-time job, which is nice (and pays pretty well), but really wanted to get a research/internship position over the summer. Maybe I’ll do an independent research project, but I have no idea how to go about doing that, and would probably want it to be wet lab work. I’ve tried cold emailing but no responses yet.

Does anyone have any suggestions for really meaningful extracurriculars that I can do over the summer?

Here are some of the other things I applied for and am still waiting to hear back:

1. public health type internship (not sure about this one - I sent in my application through email and they didn’t even state the deadline)
  2. virtual summer research program (~6 weeks, at local state school but virtual, kind of medical related but its more mental health related?)
  3. girls state (prob wont get it)
  4. part time/work study job (at the community college I take classes at) in the “STEM center”
  5. cold emailing
  6. volunteering at local hospital

Programs I will apply to that have upcoming deadlines

1. public health youth fellowship with local organization
  2. virtual biology research program
1 Like

Maintaining a part time job is a good item on your application - it’s nothing to look down upon.

Otherwise volunteering at the hospital, and the work-study job in the STEM center could show the depth of your interest/commitment to your possible field of study.

For any high-stats students, once you’ve passed their “threshold”, the individual factors that lead the highly rejective schools to a positive decision or not, are usually hard to fathom, because there are many other “big picture” factors that deal with shaping a particular class, based on diversity, background, geography, etc.

6 Likes

Agree that continuity with a job is a fine thing to have on your resume. Where are you located? The hospital Volunteer opportunity is also fine. Have you reached out to your own family doctor to see if you can shadow, or if they need help in their office? It’s helpful to pursue something that is consistent with your interests and doesn’t just look
Like resume padding. Sounds like you are on the right track.

2 Likes

This might be a little off the wall but could you be a counselor at a nature camp (biology-related?).

Maybe you can go full time at work and make money.

It’s as good for your apps as what you’re applying for. You don’t need related activities.

Have a great summer.

Way back when one of my s’s worked as a counselor at a local science camp.