Fall 2012 Decisions

<p>@collegeman52094, can you please share your stats?</p>

<p>Also, I know of another person who was accepted today from connecticut, 30 ACT and 3.88 unweighted gpa.</p>

<p>3.25/3.4 UW/W GPA (Grade trend is significantly up, got around 3.8 my last 3 semesters)
29 ACT (31 English, 30 Science, 29 Math, 25 Reading)
Class Rank: Around top 20%
6 AP Classes / 5 Honors Classes (passed both of mine last year, taking 4 more this year)</p>

<p>Activities:
4 year football player (senior captain, 2nd team all-conference)
youth football coach
1 year of wrestling
member of a school leadership program
3 years of the Scholastic Clay Target Program
Sportsmen’s Club Volunteer and Member</p>

<p>That’s all I can think of right off the bat… but my essays were very good in my opinion and they explained my low GPA and also greatly expressed my interest. My two letters of recommendation were fantastic. Also, I’m in-state which I know makes a difference. I have a 4.056 GPA halfway through the semester so that should help me get in when I send in my 1st semester grades. I’ll also get a couple more letters of recommendation and see how things pan out.</p>

<p>thank you collegeman52094! Do you have any alumni? </p>

<p>And does anyone in the Fall 2012 Decisions family know the average waiting period from being postponed to hearing a final decision?</p>

<p>I’m sure it varies from applicant to applicant, but its just a general inquiry</p>

<p>none of my relatives were alumni and postponed applicants hear by March 15th according to this: <a href=“http://www.admissions.wisc.edu/images/UW_Postponed_Applicant_FAQ.pdf[/url]”>http://www.admissions.wisc.edu/images/UW_Postponed_Applicant_FAQ.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>has anyone with Adele Brumfield as their admissions counselor from the NY area received a decision? If so, when did you submit? Thanks</p>

<p>Postponed students hear by March 15th. Some are asked if they want to be waitlisted, some rejected, some accepted. Meanwhile, apply to other schools and if Madison is your number one choice be sure to contact your admission counselor and let him/her know this. I remember last year one applicant who was postponed wrote a letter with all the reasons she thought they should accept her-she did get accepted but ended up choosing a different college after all that. She visited one of the colleges she was accepted to early on and fell in love with it.</p>

<p>I thought I read somewhere on the Wisconsin website (might have been an admission counselor’s blog) that the notification dates had been moved back this year to January 31 and March 31. Not a big change, except to an anxiously waiting applicant!</p>

<p>^^
you could be right but they sent me this along with my postponed decisions</p>

<p>After a thorough review of your application for admission to the University of Wisconsin-Madison, the Committee on Admissions is unable to make a final decision on your file and has postponed your application. You will receive a final admissions decision by March 15, 2012.</p>

<p>We hope you will continue to consider the University of Wisconsin-Madison for your college plans. If you remain interested, plan to self report your mid-year or trimester grades online as soon as they are available, preferably before February 10, 2012. Our office will provide further instructions by email on
reporting your grades. Feel free to update your file with new information that will help us better understand your readiness for Wisconsin, such as updated test scores or a recommendation from someone who can attest to your degree of preparation for a University of Wisconsin-Madison education.</p>

<p>If you have any questions, feel free to contact us at 608-262-3961. We wish you well as your college search continues.</p>

<p>So, I think it is March 15th for postponed applicants.</p>

<p>FYI - her name Adele is on many of the letters but she is not the person who personally reviews your application. The one in charge is a freshman admissions counselor for your high school and can be looked up. I know this because we emailed Adele and cc; this counselor and she wrote back saying this. Adele’s name has been on many decisions so far but she is not the one really reviewing them, they just use her name, that is what the counselor told us.</p>

<p>Also, another student with ACT 33 lots of AP and extra activities denied a few days ago. No real reasons for some of the decisions, their answer is that they take a holistic approach and the hope for all of you waiting that they feel you are holistic enough!</p>

<p>Adele Brumfield is the director of admissions.</p>

<p>Maybe the student with ACT of 33 had a lower GPA than 3.7? Unweighted? I know out here in California, a student with high ACT or SAT scores but with a GPA of 3.5. would not be admitted to UCLA or Berkeley, unless they had something else going for them in terms of EC’s, unusual circumstances, etc… They really do value the GPA score as a test of how one will do in college. I do not know how the admissions people at Wisconsin do it, but a lot of colleges are leary of admitting students with high test scores that do not correlate with their GPA…</p>

<p>farcast: Have your son decided what he is going to do about appealing the decision or not?</p>

<p>Yeah I did look it up for my high school and Adele happens to be the counselor for my high school in addition to the director</p>

<p>My friend got accepted last Saturday night and she has a 3.95 UW GPA and got a 25 on her ACT. Involved in many extra-curriculars and sports.
I have a 3.7 UW and 27 ACT. Still waiting…</p>

<p>Remember that 25% of the students will have below the posted midrange scores. Someone with a lower ACT score but outstanding gpa has shown they know how to get the work done successfully- especially when they also have time for ECs. A student with lower grades but a high test score may not have the needed study habits for success.</p>

<p>It may not be as prominent at a school with tens of thousands of ug’s, but it’s also important to remember quite a sizable number( around 40% average) Of applicants have hooks like legacies, 1st gen, athletes, etc that may help them out. So the “average” applicant’s stats tend to be higher than published averages. Ie, without one of those hooks, you would be average with the 60- somethingith percentile stats</p>

<p>midwesthopeful thank you for thoughts</p>

<p>To all:
I love you so much, have a happy and healthy thanksgiving!!!</p>

<p>also its hannahs (my partner in college/fellow raker) birthdayy!!! lets wish her an acceptance to uw!!!</p>

<p>Last year they didn’t accept me until A DAY AFTER THE DECISION DEADLINE. I wouldn’t worry if you don’t get accepted within the 4-6 weeks they tell you they will.</p>

<p>@Badgerdad, do you think the scholarship email is really a “pre-signal” of acceptance. I received a scholarship email from the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences on Wednesday November 23rd stating:</p>

<p>"The Office of Admissions has informed us that you have applied for admission to UW-Madison. Because you indicated an interest in a program in the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences (CALS), you are eligible to apply for one of our scholarships. We award over $600,000 in scholarships annually to students enrolled in CALS! You can see a listing of those scholarships on the web at [Scholarships@UW-Madison</a> Home](<a href=“Our Opportunities - Wisconsin Scholarship Hub (WiSH)”>http://scholarships.wisc.edu/Scholarships/).</p>

<p>You can be considered for all of our scholarships, before you are admitted to UW-Madison, by completing the New Student application and submitting it to our office by February 1, 2012. You will find the application on MyUW and then click on the Financial Tab on the top of the page. Proceed to Scholarships @UW-Madison.</p>

<p>Please understand that this letter is not an offer of admission to UW-Madison. Official notice of the decision on your application for admission will come from the Office of Admissions.</p>

<p>As you know, UW-Madison does not require new students to live in Residence Halls. We believe that the Residence Halls are a very good choice for new freshmen, but there are also other good alternatives for CALS students. Other options for you include Jorns or Humphrey Halls, which are on-campus dormitories operated by CALS. Another option is with one of the four student organizations, (Alpha Gamma Rho, Babcock House, and Delta Theta Sigma for men and Association of Women in Agriculture for women) all of which are affiliated with CALS. You may receive information directly from these organizations.</p>

<p>A good way to learn more about CALS and UW-Madison is to come for a campus visit through the CALS Visit Day program. We have several Visit Days still open this spring and would love to have you join us! You will find information located at [Visit</a> Us | College of Agricultural and Life Sciences – University of Wisconsin-Madison](<a href=“http://www.cals.wisc.edu/students/admissions/visit-us]Visit”>http://www.cals.wisc.edu/students/admissions/visit-us).</p>

<p>Best of luck in your college selection process and…</p>

<p>On Wisconsin!"</p>

<p>I still haven’t received a decision email. I actually called the admissions office just to see if they were working today - and they were. Was your son’s scholarship email similar to this one?</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>