Family Information Form

<p>Hello, I'm filling out the Family Information Form. I have divorced parents and it's asking me how much the non-custodial parent will plan to contribute to my education during the school year. Can they seriously base their aid on what $ the non-custodial/non-FAFSA parent gives me for education? My previous university didn't have a form like this, and I'm wondering if anyone else in this sort of situation has had the Family Information Form negatively impact how much aid they received. How exactly would it affect my aid in the case that my FAFSA parent's EFC is <4,000 and my non-FAFSA parent's EFC is like >14,000?</p>

<p>Specifically, if I otherwise would qualify for a UW Madison Insititutional Grant of $2000 or so, would reporting my non-FAFSA parent’s high contributions to my education make me ineligible for this grant? Is this something UW Madison is actually allowed to do?</p>

<p>UW can make its own rules for its own institutional grants. Why do you think you should qualify for an institutional grant when one of your parents (in your words) makes ‘high contributions’ to your education? These grants are for needy students.</p>

<p>I totally agree, I just had never heard of such a thing before, I thought each school needed to use the information given by FAFSA. It is more fair this way.</p>

<p>Consider this- all students. While it is nice to save as much as you can on your own education it is better that funds, which are always limited, go to students who either won’t go to college or really have to cut corners. Been in both places, received money for college to get the good income so son didn’t need the money.</p>