Feedback For a New England Kid

<p>My DS has three plans for college:</p>

<p>A Plan - US Naval Academy - Attended NASS, all apps are in, medical complete, waiting on interviews from the congressman and senators.</p>

<p>B Plan - NROTC - application is in and will be seen at the first review board next week.</p>

<p>He would like to study electrical engineering.</p>

<p>ACT Comp 30 - Math 32, English 31, Reading 29 (ouch). Scheduled to take it again and recent practice test have him at a comp of 34. </p>

<p>Varsity letters - 8 by the time his is finished at the end of the year. Captain of one team waiting on word from the other team.</p>

<p>Community and school service - 200+ hours.
Work - Steady since getting his working papers.
GPA - 3.85 (unweighted)
Class - top 20% (one very smart class)
NHS Member from first offering.
Other items to list but much like most kids.</p>

<p>The crazy kid has to have a “C” plan and he listed as his two top choices are U of Alabama and U of Miss. I have no idea why he wants to go south (I love the idea) other then knowing his personality which is very outgoing. I also know that he loves the southern culture much like me. </p>

<p>Can anybody tell me if a kid from the Northeast would fit in? yea, yea, yea he will talk funny, got that!!</p>

<p>What are his chances for U of Alabama?</p>

<p>chances = great!</p>

<p>will he fit in? - if he wants to? yes!</p>

<p>Your son would get a guaranteed full tuition scholarship plus an extra $2500 per year (the amount may have changed) scholarship for majoring in engineering. If he gets an ACT 32+, he’ll have a full tuition scholarship even if he switches to a major outside of the College of Engineering.</p>

<p>There are many students at UA from New England and other nearby states. Speaking as a recent UA graduate, what matters most is that the student is willing to make friends with people from all across the country and the world while getting used to some of the minor differences that come with living in a different region of the country. When UA crunched the data, what it found was that the students who had the hardest time adjusting where those who came from nearby states as while the culture was very similar, a lot of their friends from high school were at competing schools. Students who come from farther away are generally more independent types and realize that they won’t be close to “home.”</p>

<p>I’m not exactly sure why UA doesn’t offer NROTC and I don’t recall ever seeing the navy have a both set up on campus as the Marines, Army and Air Force often do. I do know that there are options for graduates of schools without NROTC programs to enter as officers, but don’t personally know anyone who has participated in such a program.</p>

<p>Good stuff, thank you. In regard to making friends this kid could make a really mad bear like him. He will talk to anybody. He is my kid but I can honestly say he is as funny as Ron White. I have no idea where he gets it or how he does it but he is one very funny kid. On top of it all he has the fastest one liner comebacks I have ever seen.</p>

<p>On top of it all he has the fastest one liner comebacks I have ever seen.</p>

<p>He and my younger son could have a contest!</p>

<p>Yes, your son will fit it. There are kids from everywhere at Bama. And there are a number of ROTC kids here, too. </p>

<p>He needs to visit Bama. Is that possible?</p>

<p>3units, here’s a recent thread that may be of interest to you: </p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1542636-new-yorker-loving-university-alabama.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1542636-new-yorker-loving-university-alabama.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>3unitsIlove,
I am sure when you visit their are many students here on CC who can show your son around the areas of campus that might not be fully covered by the UA tour. We are from NY, my DS is loving life at UA and is a current freshman about to attend his first class today after participating in Alabama Action last week.</p>

<p>Your son sounds like an extraordinary young man. We are transplanted New Englanders living in upstate NY. My son is a freshman, only kid from our area at bama. He has been on campus for two weeks now, starts classes today. Happy as a clam. There are cultural and social differences, most are positive, and in a significant way. Friendly and outgoing people, have yet to find anyone who isn’t welcoming of the oos students. The kids seem to really embrace the regional differences and enjoy meeting each other…</p>

<p>From Upstate NY living in the midwest for the last 5 yrs. Same experience as above. Son’s roommates are from IL, PA, and NC. We met one roommate and he’s a great kid. Son reports the others are great too.</p>

<p>BTW, my son has two professors from the midwest. One is from upper Michigan and other is from Wisconsin. I’m sure there are a lot of professors from NE.</p>