Financial aid during this period

So I wasn’t provided enough financial aid to the schools I was admitted to this year and I tried to apply for outside scholarships but I’m not eligible for most due to my age. I am working on round 2 of applications but I would really appreciate if I could find any schools that might be able to give substantial financial aid (around 80%) in this period of the application process or if anyone knows of any scholarships from outside organizations that international students could apply to?

1 Like

This is so hard. I am sorry. If you haven’t already done so, have your parents (if feasible) check back with the FA offices where you were admitted and inquire if there is any additional FA potential. Sometimes they can come up with some additional $ (no guarantee it will be any or enough though). (I suspect you did that, but in case not…)

I am not familiar with organizations that provide tuition assistance for international situations, though they may exist. Truthfully there are not that many options outside FA for domestic students, either.

2 Likes

Hi! We did but they were unable to do so as all offers are final :frowning:

1 Like

Hi! Unfortunately we are/were in the same situation - I tried looking for need blind schools in the US , and found Wayland Academy in Wisconsin which was still accepting applications through gateway to prep schools. They offered admission to my son (international student) soon after the interview with an offer of 80% aid (including merit scholarship) - But our issue is that we are not able to get much information about the school. Their name does come up in the top boarding schools list, but no more info other than that.

2 Likes

Hi! Thank you for sharing your experience- what did you do in that case? are there any other options available? Also if anyone knows of any educational consultants we could contact- I would really appreciate it :slight_smile:

Hi… We were a bit desperate when we applied to Wayland Academy since my son was waitlisted in many schools (not sure if it was due to the huge FA we needed) and the admits he received didn’t have enough FA. He is homeschooled and he had also applied to Stanford Online High School as a full-time student… Luckily soon after, they offered us a comfortable aid. Even though he was hoping to attend a B&M school after doing online schooling for 3 years, he would probably enroll in Stanford OHS and maybe hope for any WL to move, or maybe reapply next year.

I really wish the best for you, and hope you find the schools with rolling admissions who might be able to offer you aid as well. ( I remember seeing another thread which talked about schools with rolling admissions even after the deadline)

This might be a good place to start to look for schools that still have openings. https://www.boardingschoolreview.com/openings-rolling-admissions-boarding-schools These are schools that have declared that they are still open to accepting applications, but as many others have pointed out in the past, it doesn’t hurt to contact other schools directly and ask if they would still accept an application at this point. If you have some sort of hook the school is looking for, they might be open to looking at an application even if they haven’t openly stated they are accepting them. Also, there is never a guarantee of any financial aid so that could also be a question you ask when contacting schools - if they have any financial aid available.

After completing a Parents’ Financial Statement (PFS), the School and Student Services (SSS) site generates a Family Report that provides guidance on the appropriate level of family contribution toward education expenses. I am curious to know whether prep schools typically offer financial aid packages that are lower, higher, or similar to the suggested contribution level.

Hi… we had a detailed discussion about this with many schools during my son’s interview (like Loomis, Milton, Hotchkiss etc) - they said that schools are not ‘allowed’ to make an offer where you are expected to contribute beyond your family’s means. They said that mostly the guidance given by PFS would be considered as the expected (or maximum) contribution, and schools cannot assume that you would pay more and offer you an admission, unless there is something (in your asset entries or so) that changes the demonstrated need calculation for them. So I assume what they meant was, if they cannot offer it either they would reject or wait-list but not admit.
That said, our personal outcome was as follows. We had applied for aid to all schools except one (which we missed because it was towards the deadline), where my son was admitted, and had to apply for aid after the admission and FA deadline. That school offered us a financial aid package which was lower than PFS suggestion (since we had applied for aid after getting admitted). Two schools where we had applied for aid upfront offered us admission with the same suggested contribution as PFS. One school offered us a much better aid than the PFS suggestion, and even better than what we had entered in the column in PFS- “how much can you comfortably contribute?”. We were pleasantly surprised.

I have to add that we are international, so if you are in the US (or Canada with similar tax system), I assume they would offer similar to the PFS suggested contribution (or better) mostly, and not really lower. The schools were forthright that if they cannot offer similar (either through aid or scholarships), they would probably not admit the student.

Thank you very much for your information