Financial Aid

<p>Does anyone know when financial aid packages are coming out? Do you know if the college gives grant money on top of any scholarships they have offered? My son visited TCU last week and loved it.</p>

<p>Good question coffeemom. I know they give out grants, I just don’t know what the criteria is. They seemed to give out soooooooooo many scholarships - I can’t imagine they have grant money left. Haha </p>

<p>Did your son tour Milton? I think I recall seeing that he got into the Honors Program. Mine too… just trying to decide about Milton.</p>

<p>Yes and he loved it! TCU is now one of his top choices. He had a private tour with an honors student (set up through a friend) and visited many of the dorms. He thought Milton was amazing. We put our housing deposit in the beginning of March so hopefully he will get Milton if he decides to attend.</p>

<p>Coffeemom - What was the atmosphere like at Milton? Doors open? Kids around? Quiet? How did it feel compared to say… a more social dorm like Sherley? We just can’t decide to go with Milton or not… although it sounds like it is THE PLACE TO BE this next year. :)</p>

<p>My daughter is a freshman at TCU this year and lives in Milton Daniel. She LOVES it - it’s close to the BLUU (dining) and the Rec. I can’t really comment on the activity level, but when I have visited I always see kids around. It’s a gorgeous building. Sherley is nice too, but Milton has prettier common areas in my opinion (marble floors, beautiful wood panels) and lots of study rooms and nooks. </p>

<p>Hope this helps.</p>

<p>Thanks Houtexmom. Milton is GORGEOUS! And such an honor to be in the program and dorm!</p>

<p>I recieved my financial aid package. Most of it was loans, actually more than half. Of the $46,110, I recieved $12,570 in free money (grants and scholarships), $1,500 in work study and the rest was loans. I’m not sure if this is a good package or not.</p>

<p>I think that all depends on how long you want to be paying student loans back and how much your parents will contribute. With the numbers you provided, you will be paying back 128160 after four years. That’s a lot of money. However, if your parents contribute, that helps. Hope it works out for you!</p>

<p>I thought TCU tuition, room and board was $42,810. [TCU</a> Financial Aid](<a href=“http://www.fam.tcu.edu/cost.asp]TCU”>http://www.fam.tcu.edu/cost.asp)</p>

<p>It is. The TCU packages are all adding up to slightly larger amounts. However, the work study isn’t guaranteed, so that may be part of it.</p>

<p>Does anyone know the amounts of the following Freshman Scholarships? I saw reference to them on the TCU site, but it does not disclose the amounts.</p>

<p>TCU Freshman Academic Scholarships</p>

<p>Chancellor’s Scholarship 4 years</p>

<p>Dean’s Scholarship 4 years</p>

<p>Faculty Scholarship 4 years</p>

<p>TCU Scholarship 4 years</p>

<p>Founder’s Scholarship 4 years</p>

<p>These are the amounts listed in a brochure my daughter received at a college fair. Why they don’t list these on their website is beyond me but here they are:</p>

<p>Chancellor full tuition</p>

<p>Deans $14,000.00</p>

<p>Faculty $10,500.00</p>

<p>TCU $7,500.00</p>

<p>Founders $3,500.00</p>

<p>All of the above are renewable for 4 years and are awarded based on the students curriculum, gpa, class rank, test scores, writing samples, references and extra curricular activities. Hope this helps.</p>

<p>Thank you for the information. I searched all over the website and could not find the amounts. Do you know what criteria is required for each level? In comparison, Baylor University has a scholarship calculator where you submit a form with grades, test scores etc and it will tell you on the spot which level scholarship you will receive. Does anyone know first hand if TCU seems to follow the level of awards closely with Baylor?</p>

<p>I have never seen any specific criteria published for the various merit scholarships, so I am guessing they vary it depending on the stats of the current year’s applicants.</p>

<p>Another guess is they are pretty consistent with other Texas universities regarding the dollar levels versus qualifications of applicants. I think you have to have great stats/quals to get the merit free ride. However, I recall that TCU does not give as much for a National Merit Finalist as does Baylor and SMU to name a couple.</p>

<p>I did find a TCU Finacial calculator at this location, towards the bottom right side</p>

<p>[TCU:</a> Office of Financial Aid](<a href=“http://www.fam.tcu.edu/npc.asp]TCU:”>http://www.fam.tcu.edu/npc.asp)</p>

<p>Thanks very much!</p>

<p>I believe TCU and Baylor are very similar. Last year it was SMU that did not give quite as much in academic scholarships.</p>