Financial aid

I’ve been accepted to the university and I’ve visited and it’s and absolute DREAM for me to go there. Theres only one problem, money. I have only a 2.96 GPA (3.5 converted to non prep school scale) and only 1530 SAT so i don’t qualify for any scholarships. Are they typically generous with financial aid?

Thanks to anyone who can help. Roll Tide

Justin

I see that you’re OOS.

Public schools are rarely generous with financial aid to OOS students…exceptions are UVA and UNC, but students need high stats to get in, so there is a merit component.

State schools charge a high OOS rate because OOS families don’t pay taxes there. It wouldn’t make much sense to charge high OOS rates, and then give need-based aid to cover those costs. If so, the publics might as well not charge OOS rates.

How much will your parents pay?

they are willing to pay what my high school is now, about $18,500 a year.

Thanks!

It sounds like your parents have a strong income. If so, then you probably wouldn’t have qualified for need-based aid anyway.

Do you know what your parents’ EFC is? or their approx income?

Old thread but my parents EFC is----

Total Estimated FM Contribution= $21,456

and

Total Estimated IM contribution= $19,026

what does this mean?

thank you!

^^^
Where did you see that???

Did you run the Net Price Calculator on Bama’s website?

FM is the contribution calculated using the Federal Methodology, and IM is calculated using the Institutional Methodology. Most public schools are FAFSA-only and would use the FM Contribution, but that doesn’t mean you’d get any aid. Most schools (including Alabama) don’t meet need, particularly for OOS students. Your EFC is far above the limit for a Pell grant, which is likely the only need-based aid you would get from Alabama, although you could get a $5500 federal loan.

thanks for the insight i appreciate it!