First thoughts

I’ve heard it from others on this board, so it’s not unique. We just arrived for honors academy, and my DS said, “I won’t lie to you, dad, but this is what I imagined going to college would look like. Beautiful architecture, large open areas, old trees to sit beneath and read books under.” And yes… he’s already practicing his “roll tide.” Good job so far, Alabama!

This is a wonderful opportunity to get a feel for the UA. So glad you are impressed! Lisa McKinney and her staff of students work really hard to make this a great experience for all.

Forgive, but who is Lisa McKinney?

She is a faculty member who also oversees the logistics of the Honors College Academy. The OP was referencing this program.

http://honors.ua.edu/honorsacademy/

Roll Tide!!

khidhala - I have to say…I got pretty much the same from my son after being on campus just a couple of hours…and it wasn’t even a particularly beautiful time of the year (mid-Dec.)! Hope he has a great experience with Honors Academy!

So we pick him up from the airport, and the first thing he says is, “guess which college I’m going to… most likely.” He had nothing but glowing things to say about the school, the professors, the program and especially the young adults there with him. Everyone, staff, faculty and students alike were supportive, energetic and enthusiastic.

By the end of the week, the kids all had their “roll tide” flowing out for each other whenever there was something good… which was often.

Thank you Alabama; thank you Lisa; and

ROLL TIDE

My daughter was there also, and she also fell absolutely in love with the school. We had toured the school in March. She was impressed, but was a bit overwhelmed by the size of the campus. The Honors Academy was perfect for her to get a real feel for the campus and how it will feel living in the dorm and getting around campus. She loved everything they threw at her last week.

She plans to major in either ChemE or EnvE. She had narrowed her top contenders down to UA and Georgia Tech. Before last week was up, it was all Bama for her. I am very excited! We live in Tennessee now, but I was born and raised in Alabama. I graduated from UAH. I have been an Alabama fan all my life, as are both of my children. However, I advised her to keep football out of the picture when choosing a school. We also visited Auburn. I told her it had to come down to what school felt like the best fit for her. A school that will support her and give her every opportunity to achieve her goals. She feels that UA is it.

I am so very grateful for the amazing opportunity given to her in the Honors Academy. Kudos to Lisa McKinney and the entire staff of the Honors College and the great Honors College students who were chaperones for the week. They did a top-notch job. Who knows, khidhala, our kids may see each other on campus again!

• Christy

Roll Tide!!