Flying with an instrument- Frontier

I have zero experience with this personally (S24 is a flutist) but is this any different from booking a second seat if you need one for yourself due to size concerns? Maybe ask for that since I am sure most booking agents would be more experienced with it.

I tried that as well. Several agents told me they were no longer honoring that policy which I argued made no sense. The final agent who disconnected me was finally willing to sell me the seat but didn’t know how to. After basically 2 straight days on hold, I took the advice above, cancelled my two tickets and bought 3 using the name EXTRASEAT (first name) FOR (middle name) TROMBONE (last name) and my birthday. We are going to be at the airport well in advance so we will have plenty of time to stop at every counter and gate. I am going to tell them that the chat agents told me to do it. I guess we shall see! Be so, so glad for the flute :rofl:

3 Likes

Woohoo! Glad you figured it out, another win for CC parent forums!
And yes, each time we travel and he wants to bring it along and doesn’t use it I am thankful we are traveling with something that fits in a backpack!

When I used to travel with Emory wind ensemble the cello had a seat, the tuba had a seat (this was delta in the 1990s. The little instruments were under a seat or in the overhead beens and the trombones etc would go under the plane with as extra care. We also packed our clothing in the instruments to help protect them. Never had an issue but hated it every time. Every once in a while they would take the trombones to the first class closet like a guitar but that was very rare.

1 Like

@thumper1 I do not have experience but agree with other posters on getting an extra seat. Seems to me Jet Blue has a place to check for an instrument when booking. When in doubt I call the airline. The wait is long but I do other things for the hour it takes to get a person :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, I put my phone on speaker and keep working. Of course, there was the time when the airline system was a mess and we got delayed that I called the airline from my hotel room (since our flight was cancelled) at midnight, dozed off, and fortunately woke up when they finally answered at 6:30 am!!!

2 Likes

The other trouble for OP is that Frontier no longer has phone customer service. Live chat is the only option.

Glad you figured out how to book it, OP. Hope it goes smoothly for you. Best advice is to act like you’ve done it before and tell the agents how it’s supposed to work. Nicely and very patiently. You’ve paid for the seat, it should be no trouble to let the trombone sit in it. Fingers crossed.

1 Like

Yep. Zero phone service. So frustrating.

Hopefully by the time the flight rolls around my patience will have returned because it is awfully thin right now. :wink: But, yes I will be nice and act like I know what I am doing!
Thanks!

Small FYI: JetBlue is fantastic w/instruments. Also have not had trouble on United or American. This is all with a cello. JetBlue notes: “The item is pre-boarded and deplaned after other customers have deplaned.”

But, often gate agents do NOT let you board early which is really no biggie. (Your numerical boarding status is a thing with airlines these last few years, due to carry-ons/basic fares.) But it is worth an ask. Be flexible. It will all work in the end. As someone above notes, just ask for the seatbelt extender as you board with a smile on your face and act like you do this every day of the week!

AND, place that instrument in the window seat - always.

1 Like

Mine will be flying with a cello in Jet Blue. Should we just book it online with “violoncello lastname” or should I call them?

No need to call. Just book through your favorite website/online (Expedia, Kayak, Travelocity . . ). It is not a big deal - once you have done it a few times. It is the first time that tends to feel fraught with “I might be doing this wrong.” But you are not. Watch some YouTube videos (search: travel with cello). They help a lot.

(And yes to “Violincello Yourlastname”)

1 Like

I’m with her. There was no way we were gate checking my son’s guitar on our trip to Florida. We’re lucky it’s relatively small, and he asked just as we stepped onto each plane whether it could fit in the flight attendants’ closet. Three out of four times they said yes.

100% Fraught with “I am doing this wrong” !

I just realized I used Trombone as the last name -as in EXTRASEAT, FOR, TROMBONE as first, middle, and last name. I am now praying that this does not matter! I don’t know if I have the fortitude to try to change it…

I also don’t know if it matters, but I booked directly through Frontier on the app. I imagine on could do the same on JetBlue as third party sites were more expensive.

That doesn’t make me so comfortable about future travel! Why wasn’t he able to buckle it himself? Had he asked for a seat extender?

Good to know, never have used them. Thanks.

1 Like

Don’t worry about the particular wording. You will be fine. There are many ways of labeling/wording the instrument name. They all work. The main no-no (I have heard) is no made-up instrument names, for example: Dr Cornelius Chuckles Cello 111.

You should be fine.

He was flying Air Canada. They do a lot more to secure the cello than just buckle it in. It requires deconstructing the airplane seat and using a net. OP-ED | An Expert's Guide To Getting A Cello Onto An Air Canada Flight Unscathed

OMgoodness! That reads like a parody of flying with a cello. Upside down? A net? Crazy. Nothing like that in USA. Note to self: Try not to be a cellist in Canada.

Also, an updated version of that article from Brian: Travelling with a cello as cabin baggage on Air Canada: a guide - BRIAN YOON | cellist

((We have though removed the seat cushion if need be. It is velcroed in place.))

My son was thinking of applying to a festival in BC; hmmmm. The deconstructed seat is normal, the net is not as far as I can tell!

Although, to be honest, I like the idea!

My son has definitely removed seat cushion to secure the cello! The seat cushions are flotation devices after all, so they do come off!
I think my kid enjoys the attention he gets when flying with the cello. “What you got in there, anyway?”