For All the Black Girls - things you may not find on a traditional college packing list

I’ve noticed that most of the college packing lists that I have found on the internet seem to have been written by White students, and while they are helpful they leave out certain things that may be useful to us. I wanted to create this forum just so my fellow Black girls won’t accidentally leave something at home because it wasn’t on a the checklist they got online. This checklist isn’t meant to be exclusive or offensive in any way (and obviously not everybody will want everything on this list), just helpful to girls like me. Feel free to add things to this list as well.

Shower cap
Sleeping cap/scarf
Edge control - my favorite is the one in the black container
Edge control brush/toothbrush - the first time I saw my cousin using a toothbrush for edge control I laughed, but it honestly does help to get your edges really smooth. just don’t use the same toothbrush you brush your teeth with, that’s nasty (:
Curl cream - if you’re natural or have a curly weave, this stuff is nice to have. I use the Cantu brand from target, and it smells amazing
Bun sock/bun maker - I personally don’t use one but I know some girls who do
Multiple kinds of conditioner - leave-in, deep, and regular, moisture is very important
Cocoa butter - If you’re going to school in a cold climate, this is nice to have. Bring some up with you after thanksgiving break.
Pick - usually a guy thing, but some girls like to wear their hair in an afro so this could be useful to them
Detangler
Flag - If you’re not American. COMPLETELY unnecessary, but I plan to bring a Jamaican flag for my room for fun. If you want to bring one, ask your roommate beforehand to make sure there’s space on the wall.
Cowash - If you prefer that over shampoo
Denman brush - For my curly girls (girls with really curly hair from any race can benefit)
Flexi rods - WAY easier and more comfortable than rollers
Shea butter
Heat protectant (girls from any race that use heat should have this)
Ambi - if you’re into that, this is a no-judge zone (: if you bring that bring sunblock too
Vicks
Cable - Some of the shows a lot of us watch aren’t on netflix, so if your school doesn’t provide cable and you’re the type of girl who watches BGC and/or L&HH every week set aside some money for it (I don’t know if Hulu plus has reality shows, so if you know inform me because that’s obviously cheaper)
Oil sheen - luster’s pink is pretty good, if you can’t find that get motions
Washcloths - enough for the week
“Church clothes” - If whilst in college you’re going to be attending a church that dresses up, don’t forget these.

Also, some food things I thought of. Obviously not exclusive to Black girls or even girls in general.
Ginger tea - this is probably just a Caribbean thing, but for if you get sick
Hot sauce - I don’t know if dining halls have hot sauce or not, but I can’t imagine having meat without it so… (Unless you have a particular kind you like to buy, go to Walmart and get the giant Mexican hot sauce for $1.99. I bought one in APRIL and use it every time I eat chicken or fish and it literally still looks like NO ONE has used it. I probably won’t have to buy more hot sauce until my Junior year of college.)
BBQ sauce - if you have a fridge
Kool-aid/sugar/pitcher/spoon - not even meant to be stereotypical, kool-aid is good stuff
Various seasonings - if you live in an apartment and like to cook, at walmart you can get spices for $1
Arizona tea - every college student should get this, unless you have a problem with sugar. it’s extremely cheap and tastes great
Hot cheetos and/or Crunchy Kurls
Sprite

ALSO, this isn’t a Black girl thing at all but I see so many lists forget BUG SPRAY! If you’re going to be spending a lot of time outside you’re going to need this, especially if you’re down south or out west. And if you do get bit, some nice things to have are hydrocortizone (for itching) and benedryl (sp?) cream for swelling

Happy packing c/o 2019!

This is so helpful!