For all the guidance counselors out there

<p>I do not intend to publish in peer reviewed journals. Like it or leave it. A discussion/chat room.</p>

<p>No one’s asking you to. I’m merely suggesting that, on occasion, a little back up support for your views would be nice. On the Wash U issue, for example. “Many Honors program students outrank those at Wash U.” How do you know that? It seems implausible considering that the average SAT scores and class ranks of the bottom 1/4 of Wash U students is considerably HIGHER than the top 1/4 of UW students. We’re not talking about a “bit” of a variation between the two schools – there isn’t even an overlap. That’s why UW has an honors program.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Wow.
A) Where did you get information about the averages of students within the 75th-99th percentile at UW and the 1st-25th percentile of WUSTL? I think you meant to compare the 75th percentile at UW with the 25th percentile at WUSTL–that’s different.</p>

<p>B) The top quartile at UW is bigger than WUSTL.</p>

<p>C) WUSTL is known for targeting high test scorers. The 25th percentile at Harvard is lower than the 25th percentile at WUSTL. </p>

<p>D) You obviously don’t understand how state school distributions work. There’s a huge positive skew–the top students are completely different from the average–or even 75th percentile–students.
You can see this by observing the 100s of nationwide undergrad competitions that UW wins across the board. This wouldn’t happen if we were all below average relative to elite colleges. </p>

<p>The honors college was created because such wide variance of student potential exists WITHIN the L&S college. Otherwise, we wouldn’t have an honors college, right? This variance at the top makes 75th percentile measures misleading.</p>

<p>The real question is where you went to undergrad, nova.</p>

<p>Not sure why where I went undergrad has any significance, but I can tell you this: it wasn’t Wash U.</p>

<p>Yes, I meant the 25 percentile at Wash U and the 75th at UW. </p>

<p>I’m not questioning that UW doesn’t have top students. Of course it does. All I’m saying is that it’s no surprise that Wash U doesn’t have an honors program or honors classes because all of its students are honors level. </p>

<p>Let me put it to you this way. You say that at the honors level there are some students at UW who are better than some students at Wash U. I have no doubt that that’s true. But I’d also bet that EVERY student at Wash U would be accepted into UW’s honors program.</p>

<p>UW-Madison College of Letters & Science Honors Program</p>

<p>[L&S</a> Honors Program](<a href=“http://www.honors.ls.wisc.edu/SiteContent.aspx?id=152#Profile%20Anchor]L&S”>http://www.honors.ls.wisc.edu/SiteContent.aspx?id=152#Profile%20Anchor)</p>

<p>What is the academic profile of the average incoming first-year Honors student?</p>

<p>The average L&S Honors first-year student has a 3.9 core high school cumulative GPA, is in the 96th percentile of his/her high school class, and has an ACT composite score of 30 or a combined Math/Verbal SAT score of 1340.</p>

<p>Thanks, Madison85. So the average SAT score of an honors student at UW is 50 points below the 25th percentile student at Wash U. You’ve proven my point. Perhaps this is why Wash U appears on this new list and UW does not (oh, and what’s the only public school I see here? Never mind).</p>

<p><a href=“The NEW Ivies: 10 Schools To Keep Your Eye On (PHOTOS) | HuffPost College”>The NEW Ivies: 10 Schools To Keep Your Eye On (PHOTOS) | HuffPost College;