Good article on why UW from two OOS kids

<p>They got it. And both graduated in four years.</p>

<p>Hollywood</a> Badgers</p>

<p>Good for them. They obviously deserve the recognition. </p>

<p>I guess this graduate rate thing really touches a nerve. Sorry about that. But it really is something that OOS applicants need to know about.</p>

<p>Future students take note- no matter where you are from or go after graduation you are likely to find an active UW alumni organization. You may even try contacting them for scholarship opportunities.</p>

<p>Good advice, wis75. They’ll need all the scholarship help they can get since half will have to spend an extra semester or year getting their degree!</p>

<p>At least it will be a degree from an esteemed academic instituion–among the very select few.</p>

<p>Best Graduate Schools - Education - US News and World Report</p>

<p>U.S. News has just released its newest rankings of graduate school programs at universities across the country. About half of the disciplines have new rankings this year while the other half are from last year or the year before.</p>

<p>U.S. News offers its analysis of the strength of many of the core PhD programs in the humanities and sciences, including Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Computer Science, Earth Sciences, Economics, English, History, Mathematics, Physics, Political Science, Psychology and Sociology. </p>

<p>Among these core disciplines, only the following schools have programs that rank among the top fifty institutions for all twelve. Their average scores for these twelve basic programs in the sciences and humanities are as follows (on a scale of 1.0 to 5.0) :</p>

<p>Average
Score Institution</p>

<p>4.8------------Berkeley and Stanford</p>

<p>4.7------------Harvard</p>

<p>4.6------------Princeton</p>

<p>4.5------------</p>

<p>4.4------------Yale</p>

<p>4.3------------Columbia and U. of Chicago, U. of Michigan</p>

<p>4.2------------Cornell, UCLA and U. of Wisconsin-Madison</p>

<p>4.1------------</p>

<p>4.0------------UT Austin</p>

<p>3.9------------Duke, Northwestern and UC San Diego</p>

<p>3.8------------Johns Hopkins, U. of Minnesota and U. of Washington</p>

<p>3.7------------</p>

<p>3.6------------Ohio State, Penn State, UC Davis </p>

<p>3.4------------UC Santa Barbara</p>

<p>No other schools ranked within the top 50 programs in all twelve basic disciplines</p>

<p>But barrons, aren’t we talking about undergrad? And aren’t you now relying on the same magazine that you consistently diss as “second rate”? And isn’t it the same magazine that ranks your nemesis undergraduate school, U-Va, leaps and abounds ahead of your beloved UW? And, wait, isn’t that William and Mary that I see ahead of you? And, oh no, isn’t that UW that I see tied with UIUC, that bankrupt and corrupt institution to the south? </p>

<p>University of California–Berkeley Berkeley, CA 1<br>
University of California–Los Angeles Los Angeles, CA 2<br>
University of Virginia Charlottesville, VA 2<br>
University of Michigan–Ann Arbor Ann Arbor, MI 4<br>
University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill Chapel Hill, NC 5<br>
College of William and Mary Williamsburg, VA 6<br>
Georgia Institute of Technology Atlanta, GA 7<br>
University of California–San Diego La Jolla, CA 7<br>
University of Illinois–Urbana-Champaign Champaign, IL 9<br>
University of Wisconsin–Madison Madison, WI 9</p>

<p>That was last year. Anyway, the grad rankings give a much better idea of FACULTY quality which is not the focus of the undergrad raning which is more a ranking of students. </p>

<p>I’d prefer to spend my money to get access to the best profs and facilities in the world as an undergrad than worry that much about everyone’s SAT score. Other rankings come out quite similarly to the US News Grad rankings in estimating the academic power of the school. </p>

<p>Pretty much the same conclusion and this one does not say graduate school ranking. You’ll find UVa down the list somewhere.</p>

<p>[United</a> States Universities in Top 500 - 2009](<a href=“http://www.arwu.org/Country2009Main.jsp?param=United%20States]United”>http://www.arwu.org/Country2009Main.jsp?param=United%20States)</p>

<p>Ha ha, that was last year – as were half the rankings that you just cited. Remember? </p>

<p>Best profs in the world don’t mean much if you can’t get into their classes and can’t graduate.</p>

<p>How’s faculty hiring going at UVa this year? Around zero?? UW is hiring around 75. That will take care of any acess problems.</p>

<p>U-Va isn’t the one with the graduation problem, remember? 75 new profs for an undergraduate population of 29,000? Let’s see how far they actually move the dial before tooting your horn.</p>

<p>Oh, and btw, U.S. News’ undergraduate rankings are based more than anything else on a peer survey just like the one for grad schools. And guess which school trumps which in the undergraduate peer survey?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Nice ■■■■■■■■, novaparent.</p>

<p>Seriously though, you can graduate from UW in four years, OOS or not, if you work hard enough. I don’t see it as a problem.</p>

<p>So 50 percent of the class isn’t working hard enough, I guess. Hardly a ringing endorsement of UW’s student body.</p>

<p>As soon as barrons stop ■■■■■■■■ on the U-Va board I’ll retreat from UW’s.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Either that or graduating in four years isn’t a priority, ever think of that? Or there is some other circumstance at play. For instance, I won’t be graduating in four years mostly because I’m a transfer student and I have two majors, it doesn’t mean I’m not working hard though.</p>

<p>But we’re not talking about transfer students. The 50 percent non-graduation rate that I’m referring to is for students who enter as freshman. And wasn’t it you and not me who said that the problem was students not working hard enough? </p>

<p>As I said on the other thread, though, I’m taking a break (at least until barrons starts taking swipes at U-Va again). </p>

<p>Good luck with your exams.</p>

<p>Thanks, just took one this afternoon, should be an A=)</p>

<p>I didn’t know the figure didn’t include transfer students. I don’t think I literally said “the problem is students not working hard enough”, but I might have said something like above, “if you work hard enough.” </p>

<p>Regardless, what I mean by “if you work hard enough” is not that people who don’t take a heavy load to get out in four years are lazy. It’s simply a choice that can be influenced by a number of factors. For example, someone might choose to take one less class in a semester in order to secure a job. Or, someone might not place a high priority on graduating in four years. Life’s short, why not slow it down a bit?</p>

<p>I hear you. But one of the problems with prolonging graduation is that it diminishes opportunities for other current and prospective students. UW can only serve so many students at one time. This is something that the administration recognizes and is trying (slowly) to address.</p>

<p>At this point, the poor horse is a bloody pulp. Forget about beaten.</p>

<p>This is ridiculous. Must every thread on this board devolve to an argument between these two? Students and parents actually come to this board for productive conversation and information.</p>

<p>MNBadger, no. </p>

<p>This horse was dead, buried in the pet sematary, and back for a beating. Ugh.</p>

<p>Ahhh, it’s a couple threads during a slow time. Don’t get your panties in such a wad. Just ignore the one you don’t want. Actually the debate is good and fundamental. What makes prestige and how should it be measure and reported. A little more interesting and long term than which dorm is better.</p>