something doesnt add up...

<p>I got rejected from uw today. </p>

<p>The booklet cited that they have over 25k applicants vying for about 5700 spots.</p>

<p>But collegeboard says its acceptance rate is 57%!</p>

<p>Is the enrollment rate @ UW really that bad?</p>

<p>I was OOS--how does UW treat out of staters? Is it a top flight public like UM, UVa and UNC?</p>

<p>Remember, UWisc accepts many more than 5700 applicants because many accepted students won’t matriculate. The 57% rate sounds about right.</p>

<p>wow it really puts my chances elsewhere into perspective</p>

<p>thanks</p>

<p>D is out of state. She received acceptance in 10 days probably due to scores, gpa and geographical location (not sure how many southern students apply). Still waiting to hear from in state UNC-CH. Also accepted to NYU and now FSU which is also offering scholarship $$$.</p>

<p>More kids are applying to more schools every year. UM had more app’s - closer to 30k - and a smaller Fresh class and their 10/11 acceptance rate is a touch above 50%. Pretty common. I believe the UW indicates its acceptance rate for 09/10 was 52%. They do court out of state students. Undergraduate stats - test scores, gpa - are nearly identical to UM and the others.</p>

<p>The overall yield rate has been around 40%. That is the % of accepted who attend. Instate yield is very high while OOS is around the low 20% range. I attribute some of that to limited OOS fin aid while instate fin aid is very good.</p>

<p>[College</a> Portraits - University of Wisconsin - Madison - Undergraduate Admissions](<a href=“http://www.collegeportraits.org/WI/UW-Madison/undergrad_admissions]College”>http://www.collegeportraits.org/WI/UW-Madison/undergrad_admissions)</p>

<p>Barrons I have to agree with you on the oos assessment. My son is waiting to hear from the Chancellor’s Scholarship folks. If he is not awarded that scholarship, we are praying that he can at least qualify for a Powers-Knapp assistance. The discount in tuition would seal the deal with us. </p>

<p>My suggestion would be to increase the number of P-W students. The school would likely attract more oos’s and still recover some tuition revenues.</p>

<p>so in summary: getting rejected by UWisconsin doesnt bode so well for my UMichigan chances, does it?</p>

<p>^^^ I would not be so quick to make that assumption. Whether universities want to admit it or not, they factor demographics into their admission decisions. It is possible that UW has filled its intended quota for your particular demographic. However, UM may still have space for you. </p>

<p>I am sorry that you were rejected by UW. UW is indeed a top flight public university. If I were you, I would contact the folks at UM and spend as much time talking to them as possible. Showing extreme interest may tip the scales in your favor. You may get advice to the contrary, but keep in mind that nothing ventured is nothing gained. </p>

<p>Do not give up.</p>

<p>To fund more scholarships more money needs to be donated- harder perhaps in this year’s economy.</p>

<p>^^^^understood, but if the university offered more in-state tuition awards and less full ride awards, they may be able to attract more oos’s for the same cost. That is, if they are interested in pulling more talent from out of state.</p>

<p>They are required to have a certain instate percentage. Remember the mission is that of a public school- serving the state.</p>

<p>At UW most undergrad fin-aid come from specific aid programs that are funded by the state. When it comes to OOS the money has to come from donations for the most part plus money that the departments have for scholarships which also was money donated in the past but is mostly for upperclassmen. UW cannot just offer discounts to OOS tuition. Any such awards must be funded from outside the tuition revenue so they can’t just give all good OOS students $10,000 off like Indiana does now. It’s unfortunate and the UW knows it is a problem now so they are fundraising for non-restricted scholarship money right now. But raising that money is not easy right now.</p>

<p>I see. Regardless of the finances, I am impressed by UW and will be a proud UW parent…heavily in debt, but proud never the less.</p>

<p>D was first in class from a top hs. In state. 1500 SAT (pre writing portion) 35 ACT, great ECs, awards, volunteer work, etc. Received a required (based on class rank) lousy 2500 / year academic ex. scholarship and that was it. Went to Vassar - great experience and they offered enough to make it cheaper. Second D currently in similar position at UW - she’s waiting on other offers. Wisconsin is one of the sorriest states when it comes to attracting and retaining our own talent!</p>

<p>I beg to differ, University of Illinois - Urbana has the worst financial aid in the nation. I was offered “aid” all loans It also has the highest COA for in-state students in the nation. </p>

<p>I have also been admitted to UW-Madison and I am hoping for some aid from them.</p>

<p>^Loans are aid, are they not? Not everyone can get private loans, and the loans the government provides (the Stafford loans) are a great substitute.</p>

<p>Wisconsin has not jumped on the instate merit bandwagon. Most aid is need based. In that regard it is more than adequate.</p>

<p>^This is debatable because of the definition of “need based”, but that’s a problem with the whole system, not just Wisconsin.</p>