For current SLU families: ? about crime off campus

Hi, I’d appreciate some insight on the level of crime adjacent to the campus. For example, will students in dorms hear gunshots? Are local businesses that students patronise frequently robbed at gunpoint? Are students often the victims of carjackings and muggings? Thank you for sharing.

I can’t answer your questions, but here is SLU’s most recent Clery report. Last 3 years of crime data start on page 66. If you compare this to other schools, make sure to adjust the data for student population size.

Thank you; I have pulled the Clery Reports for certain schools that I know well, but they generally do not list off-campus incidents, which is why I am asking for feedback from those at the school.

Makes sense. Clery report should include certain off-campus crimes:

This report includes statistics for the previous three calendar years concerning reported crimes that occurred on campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by SLU; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from the campus.

You might also see if there is a SLU parent Facebook page that you can join. If so, search there for what you want to know, and then post your question, if still necessary.

You can also speak with the campus security office. They likely have daily or weekly incident reports they can share (if they aren’t already posted online).

Thank you so much for all of those suggestions! I will follow-up on them. I skimmed the report you sent and find it interesting that nearly all of the motor vehicle thefts occurred on campus, with zero or near-zero reported off-campus.

1 Like

I have a current freshmen who is loving SLU. She has had no issues and her dorm is the farthest one from the main campus. She has used the metro and bus with no incidents. She also runs several miles around the campus and has felt comfortable doing so.

1 Like

Thank you for your input!

1 Like

This is reassuring. How reliable is public transportation near the campus from her experience? How about walking to nearby establishments in the area like the grocery, resto, etc.?

Metro is super reliable. Buses are more susceptible to traffic so sometimes come a little late but she has had no significant issues with them. There’s an awesome small grocery store called Fresh Thyme right by campus. For a major chain it would be a quick Uber. There’s a free shuttle on Saturdays to shaping area with Targetand Trader Jos. Shuttle also stops at mall and Walmart. There are a few restaurants you can easily walk to . A Target is scheduled to open next to campus in Fall 2023 I believe.

1 Like