For those in the know, how hard is engineering at Tech?

<p>I've accepted Tech's offer of admissions for their engineering program and just want to know what I should be ready for. I've heard from some that engineering at Tech is extremely hard and a large portion of people drop out, is this true?</p>

<p>well, it's a top notch program. it's going to be tough, but rewarding if you want it to be.</p>

<p>good question. the first year is hard in a stupid way. i am in enge 1024, and it is the most annoying and stupid bulls*** class ever. why is it hard? because the material is so dry and dumb that you are not interested. i cant wait till this semester is over. although if people drop out, its probably because they are lazy, and thus probably should reconsider anyways. if you are passionate enough, my advice is just suffer through the first semester and then it might get better, although harder in a better way.</p>

<p>Right. The freshman engineering sequence is meant to weed out those not ready to put in the work or who can't see past the first year. If you really want to be an engineer, you will put in the work, get the grade, and get into your department of choice and never look back. I am a sophomore in ISE and I absolutely love it. A decent number of people drop engineering and switch to business, but if you're hardworking and have a good head on your shoulders, you will be fine. Just make sure you have good study habits and stick with them.</p>

<p>hey compgeek, by the way, what is ISE really about? are you planning to minor in business? how are sophomore level classes</p>

<p>What is the GPA requirement for EE? I know ME's is 2.5, and those were the only two programs I am considering.</p>

<p>Also, how hard is EE compared to ME?</p>

<p>its probably 2.5 as well. electrical is the hardest i have heard among all the other departments at vt.</p>

<p>... i dont really know why people they say that first year engineering programs are boring. i'm finishing up my first year at duke and most of the material i've had this year -- math / physics / ect -- has been interesting. these things are the fundamentals of engineering, and should atleast be semi-interesting to someone thinking about engineering</p>

<p>ISE places emphasis on statistical quality control, facilities planning, human factors, operations research, ergonomics, and work measurements. It's a lot more people-oriented than other engineering majors, and yes it is great degree to have to work your way up to upper management. I am minoring in business as well. The focus is more on systems design than product design, which I really like. ISE majors work in manufacturing, health, service, and government industries and are typically well-paid.</p>

<p>Oh and I wouldn't say the freshman sequence is BS. You learn a lot of the fundamentals about engineering ethics, drafting, programming, team design projects, etc.</p>

<p>VT Engineering is hard...really hard. Be prepared to work your assoff.</p>