Fordham Class of 2025 - Regular Decision Date: Mar 15

That is great to hear, which means most of us will see the final financial package soon. Thank you for sharing the info.

Yes we also contacted financial aid and they emailed the appeal form quite quickly. We also have a younger one to consider who is only 1 year behind my son (S21) so after next year we will have 2 in college overlapping 3 years. Such fun. We were not eligible for federal aid other than the $5,500 unsubsidized loan (which has a very low rate and not a bad deal!). We were offered some modest merit aid on the financial aid form so while one responder here mentions that merit is not financial aid, that is true, except in our case with Fordham they chose to communicate my son’s merit aid on the financial aid form which is different than what we’ve seen with other schools. Put another way, my son was not one of the lucky ones who was given one of the higher level merit awards in his acceptance letter. That all said, we were hoping for something a little more comparable to the generous merit he’s received from other Jesuit schools and so we uploaded a few of those awards and filled out the appeal form. It’s pretty self explanatory and simple. Good luck.

I’d like to appeal for more merit aid as well. Should the parent or the student reach out to financial aid or should it be admissions counselor?

Hello guys,

I just want to make sure that Fordham University requires only FAFSA and CSS right? they don’t require any additional documents right? i’m asking this because the financial aid portal is super confusing.

Yes, I think my D only submitted these 2 things.

Has anyone received an updated financial package yet? I mean, the final package updated from the initial awards.

My daughter received both pdf version (1/14/21) and paper version (early Feb 2021). She applied EA and completed all FA paperwork in late November.

Same to my D.

The awards within the initial admission letter is only merit-base. So my question is “Do we have the final financial package yet?”

Yes financial aid packages were sent out. My son received it both by email and regular mail.

In addition to the merit offered with the acceptance letter, we also received financial aid package in pdf and regular mail. This FA package consists of scholarship, Fordham grant (Fordham tuition award) and $5.5K loan.

We did fill out FAFSA, CSS profile for Fordham and submitted W-2 and other forms when they requested late November.

Okay, I dig into documents and found the financial package. The COA of Fordham is about 79K, the total award is 28K, so out of pocket is about $51K.

My D also received financial package from Tulane. COA is about 77k and award is about 69K. Tulane ranks better than Fordham surely. Therefore, Tulane takes the priority position.

2 Likes

Our EFC is about 25K and we need to pay 51K out of pocket for Fordham. Therefore, I’d like to conclude that Fordham does not meet 100% demonstrated need for admitted students.

2 Likes

My family’s EFC is $6,000 for each of my two college students. Haven’t heard from Fordham yet but other universities have COA around $60-$72. The most aid we’ve gotten is $30, so I’m expected to pay $30-42K for each of my daughters, a total of $60K-$84K per year. I wish I hadn’t believed people who insisted we would get lots of aid. If you don’t have a high income but don’t qualify for a Pell grant (we don’t), there is a good chance you won’t be able to afford college.

3 Likes

That is why we need to apply for those colleges who promise to meet 100% demonstrated need. No loan promise is even better.

2 Likes

So far, among 6 admitted schools, 3 of them meet EFC, 2 of them not, and 1 needs us to pay less than 1/2 of EFC.

1 Like

Our EFC was $7500 2 years ago with my oldest DD, we had our best luck at secondary state schools, both instate and OOS brought total out of pocket cost down to $12000. Fordham has never claimed to meet need.

1 Like

Yes, I know Fordham isn’t fully need blind. I was just making a general observation about ability to afford college, and some people’s misperception that because I’m a single parent (adopted kids on my own) and earn a decent but not huge salary, we would get a lot of aid. I would be thrilled if we could find a state school where the total cost for us is $12,000. My kids have worked a lot through high school and of course I’ve saved every penny I could over the years of working both full-time and part-time jobs together. We applied to mostly public/state universities, both in state and OOS but nothing has come close to a $12,000 cost. We are waiting to hear from more and hoping for the best!

3 Likes

It is a shame that your state does not provide funds for in-state students. In LA, we have TOPS and admitted students (enrolled in a LA college) with ACT 27 & above will only pay very small amount of cost.

2 Likes

do you guys think Fordham has become a pay-to-play school/ their acceptance rate seems to be high and the yield is low. Anyone who has recvd some FA (other than a handful of full tuition wavers) would still have to shell out abt 50-55k a yr which seems equivalent to a an out of state tuition. Feels like a sale on hiked up price?

8 Likes

As more and more admissions sent out, people’s focus has been shifted away from Fordham.

3 Likes