Forming a College list - A little lost

I’m a current junior and most the people in my area (NYC Metro) already have lists and have visited schools. I’m super academically oriented and scared that I won’t have a good list so I want to prepare now since I’m a specific type of student. I’m the oldest in my family so I have no clue what to do. I’ve talked with my parents and they don’t really either since my dad only went where he could afford and my mom applied to like 3 schools and that was a long time ago.

What I’m looking for:

I am looking to major in physics, unless the schools I apply to have specific astrophysics majors because that’s what I want to do when I’m older. I may also want to minor in philosophy. After college I am planning on pursuing a masters and hopefully a PhD.

I’m looking for schools on the east coast, my parents will allow me to go as far as Texas or the midwest if the school is absolutely perfect for me. However, the midwest is not somewhere I want to be, and I would prefer to be on the East Coast if possible.

I’ve been told I belong at a smaller school but I’m open to schools that are big if that’s a good fit for me. I get bored easily, so whether the school is rural or urban, it would be beneficial if the school had a lot of opportunities near or on campus.

Financials are not an issue and my parents can pay full tuition, so private or public including OOS is fine.

I have ADHD and ASD, but I’m very high functioning and didn’t get medically diagnosed with ASD until this year. I would like to go to a school that will be able to support me in this way. I also want to go to a school that is accepting of all gender identities, sexual orientations, religions, ethnicities, races, etc.

I love learning so I feel like I need a school that can challenge me but isn’t cutthroat competitive like an Ivy.

Stats:

UW GPA: 3.8, my school does not rank.

I’m in 5 AP classes this year including Calculus, I’m and doing well in all of them with mostly A’s, a few A-‘s and a B+. My grades from previous years are pretty much the same, but I think they have improved a little bit. The lowest grade on my transcript is a B+. My school doesn’t have A+ as a grade so an A is 95-100.

By graduation I plan on having done 10 AP classes.

I run track. I’ve done it since 7th grade and Varsity since 9th grade. I set a school record as a freshman as well. Although I love track and I’m very good at it, I don’t think I want to do it competitively in college. I want to do it recreationally if possible.

I also participate in FIRST robotics and I’m very involved however it’s my first year. My team made it to the world championship in TX last year and hopefully I can help them make it again this year.

I’m a Girl Scout currently doing my Gold award which is the highest honor a girl scout can receive. I am doing it on helping people who are 2e because I feel we’re underrepresented in public education. You need 80 hours of community service to be considered for the award. I’ve already received my Silver and Bronze award. Silver award is 50 hours. I did my Silver award on educating people on the harmful chemicals that many cosmetics contain. I led classes and devised my own formulas for shampoo and conditioner. The bronze award was done as a troop. I’ve been with the same troop for 9 years.

I’m also involved in National History Day. Me and my partner did it in 8th grade and made it to the state level. This year we hope to do the same. In 8th grade we did it on Sally Ride, and now we are doing it on Katherine Johnson. Our project on Sally Ride piqued my interest in space. Because of that project, my love for space has grown and now I want it to be apart of my career because I also love math.

I’m also in Chorale at my school but I don’t compete, I just perform.

I got a 1400 on the PSAT without studying so I assume if I study a little for the SAT or ACT I will do well. I plan on submitting scores. I will probably use ACT since I prefer the format more. My strength on the PSAT was in math, I got a 740. My reading was a 660 which isn’t horrible, but I struggle a little with the verbal section in particular so I need to improve on that.

I have other hobbies I do outside of school but I doubt that’s relevant when applying.

Family Background and Demographics:

Middle-Eastern with some Ashkenazi Jewish so I’m considered white.

Female

Like I mentioned I am not applying for FA and am from the NYC metro area.

Thanks for reading this long post and I hope I can get some good recommendations!

9 Likes

I’d suggest you hit the local library or Amazon and get yourself a college guide.

I’m partial to Barrons as it lists all schools. Others like Fiske. Doesn’t matter. You can even use the Niche website.

Barrons, for example, is sorted by state.

My daughter and I would go through 1-2 states a day. For you it’s easy as you have specifics.

You can see sizes, locations, etc.

Most schools will have physics and astronomy. Some will have an astro major or focus of physics. Philosophy most will have too.

Once you find a list - it’s might be 40 or 80 schools - what I’m unfamiliar with is ADHD/ASD - so to me, seeing what type of support is offered, would be something that I would focus on in helping to narrow.

There are lists of schools - not saying these are the right ones - but that at least these websites feel are strong for students like yourself. Perhaps it will give you some good ideas - and then you can balance your majors against any that are of interest.

Good luck to you.

24 Best Colleges for Students With Autism in 2022 - Best Value Schools

30 Best Colleges for Students on the Autism Spectrum (appliedbehavioranalysisprograms.com)

4 Likes

Not sure how far south you’d like to go, but schools like William and Mary, Wake Forest, Richmond are some smaller schools that come to mind. You have strong extracurriculars, and hopefully a strong SAT/ACT. I would get the Fiske Guide and read through, marking schools with the characteristics you are looking for.

2 Likes

I will go all the way down to south Florida, I have family down there and my parents are cool with me going there. I’ve had those schools mentioned so I’ll be sure to check them out! Thank you everyone who has replied for your help. Even a little guidance is appreciated immensely.

2 Likes

You can even run searches - like best small schools + niche.

Then you can comb down the rankings - and find those in the states that interest you.

Or best for physics or astro physics.

But I would say - get a book and pick out those states of interest.

Because you’ve said both big and small, it makes it tougher.

Here’s another idea - have mom / dad take you to a few area campuses. Doesn’t matter if they are right for you. What you want to see is size, urban-ness, etc.

For example, if you’re in NJ, maybe a Montclair State, Rutgers, Drew, Ramapo.

Just to get a sense - is Rutgers too big? is Drew too small? Is Ramapo too rural?

Then you can narrow even further - and know schools you are adding to your prospective list are more likely to be in line with your campus desires.

Right now you have them in your head but it would be great for you to see them in real life.

1 Like

I looked at some schools on niche. W&M seems like it is pretty ideal statistically. Not too small or big, good academics. Also I read that a lot of the kids there are quirky and nerdy (and to be fair that’s exactly what I am). I’m not big on the party scene. However I do want friends that I can hang out with on the weekends. So I do think a school like that would be ideal for me.

3 Likes

I’m a WM alum, and my daughter just graduated from there. Happy to answer questions for you.

4 Likes

OK - so small/mid, in a remote area but within an hour of a couple major areas - and it’s in a tourist zone. And it’s a national draw so yes, while some will leave on weekends, most won’t.

You might want to look at their catalog as I’m not sure if they have an astronomy focus area - it doesn’t appear so (W&M).

Just thinking out loud and some of these will be reaches and some matches and safeties - but you might look at:

Florida Tech (FL)

Miami (FL)

Emory (GA)

Brandeis (MA)

Tufts (MA)

Worcester Polytechnic (MA)

Elon (NC) - has astrophysics

Wake Forest (NC)

Renssalear Polytechnic (NY)

Rochester (NY)

Rochester Institute of Technology (NY)

Drexel (Pennsylvania)

U of Pittsburgh (Pennsylvania)

Rice (Texas)

UVA (a bit larger)

Again, look at not just majors but ASD support.

Hope this helps.

3 Likes

Yes I have considered lots of these! My mom went to UMiami in FL, and she said it’s easy for people to find their people there. Thanks for the help.

4 Likes

Rochester Institute of Technology could be a good fit. It’s a quirky accepting vibe, and they are known for good disability support.

I was also pleased to see this on my son’s U of Delaware acceptance portal. They must put it on everybody’s portal, which is great:

Spectrum Scholars is a college-to-career initiative that promotes a welcoming environment for students with autism and enhances their ability to thrive in academics and campus life. Comprehensive supports include: weekly coaching in academics, organization, social relationships, campus life and self-advocacy; peer mentoring and progressive internship and career development opportunities. Check out our website to learn more and apply on the Spectrum Scholars website.

7 Likes

You may feel a little behind in terms of creating your college list, but you are way ahead in terms of realizing the importance of a school being the right fit rather than chasing a particular name.

The list below is not short, but it’s composed of schools that have fewer than 10,000 undergrads and have a good number of physics majors in the most recent graduating class (either as a raw number or as a proportion of the undergraduate population). This list is categorized based on my very fallible sense of what might be your chances of acceptance. There are so many schools in the extremely likely category because you’re such a good candidate. The likelihood of admission is not necessarily a correlation to the degree of academic challenge that a university offers.

There is quite a range of schools here, however, so you can also start getting a sense of what things are important to you as you learn more about different colleges.

Extremely Likely (80-99+%)

• Allegheny (PA )
  • Drew (NJ)
  • Duquesne (PA )
  • Florida Institute of Technology
  • Ithaca (NY)
  • Kalamazoo (MI)
  • Le Moyne (NY)
  • Lycoming (PA )
  • Roanoke (VA)
  • Salisbury (MD)
  • Seton Hall (NJ)
  • Siena (NY)
  • Stetson (FL)
  • SUNY Geneseo
  • Ursinus (PA )
  • Washington (MD)
  • Washington & Jefferson (PA )

Likely (60-79%)

• Clark (MA)
  • Clarkson (NY)
  • College of the Holy Cross (MA)
  • College of Wooster (OH)
  • Lawrence (WI)
  • St. Lawrence (NY)
  • SUNY New Paltz

Toss-Up (40-59%)

• Franklin & Marshall (PA )
  • Mount Holyoke (MA) – women’s college
  • Rensselaer Polytechnic (NY)
  • U. of Rochester (NY)

Lower Probability (20-39%)

• Case Western (OH)
  • Skidmore (NY)
  • Villanova (PA )

Low Probability (less than 20%)

• Hamilton (NY)
  • Haverford (PA )
  • Vassar (NY)
  • Wesleyan (CT)
8 Likes

Thank you, this is super helpful!

You’re welcome! Also, what type of supports do you need for your ADHD and ASD? If you let people know on this page they may be able to provide additional suggestions or to eliminate previous suggestions. Looking at the student support services pages of each college can also give you a better idea as to how each college might (or might not) be able to support you.

To be honest, it’s not much. Mostly I just want a welcoming environment where people are accepting and not judgmental. Obviously there’s always a bad apple, but a school known for being accepting is good. I have 1.5x extra time and small testing environment, and it would be great if the school offers that. Also a school where the professors are available for office hours to ask questions and learn more in-depth about the subject.

1 Like

Fortunately, most professors have listed office hours but many will also meet by appointment.

The professors typically love the students who express interest, etc. and sounds like you’ll do great there!!!

And you have a great mindset - and now some schools to research. You’re off to a great start!!!

1 Like

Thank you! I’m definitely that student. I’m very good at advocating for myself. I’m out spoken and social which is definitely a reason it took forever to get diagnosed. I tend to also talk better with adults. I have no problem reaching out to professors if I need to, I do that with teachers and administrators at my current high school.

3 Likes

As @tsbna44 mentioned, professors generally will indicate when their office hours and I’m sure they would love to speak with interested students. Most of the colleges I listed focus most of their attention on their undergrads, and faculty who choose to teach at those institutions do it because they love teaching undergrads. I suspect that the supports you need would be available at nearly all the schools on the list. Any that don’t would be an easy elimination.

1 Like

I looked at some of them on niche before, but I also checked now to refresh. I liked how Wesleyan sounded. A lot of students left reviews saying it’s perfect for kids who like learning and are creative. That’s definitely me because my hobbies are all art related. I am self taught in piano and can play classical pieces such as Für Elise. I plan on learning Flight of the Bumblebee soon. I also have been painting and drawing for a long time. I just do it for fun, so no awards even though I’ve been told I’m good at it. I also don’t take classes because I find it more fun when I’m just doing what I want to do when I want to do it.

Bottom line is when I’m interested in something, I love learning more about it. I think that’s why I’m well versed in a lot of subject areas.

4 Likes

Most schools have an office that is in charge of working with students that have differing learning supports. Prior to your first semester you will need to contact the department and go through the process of sending them whatever paperwork they need - typically a doctors note and information regarding supports your need. You will then have a meeting where the school department lays out the process.

My son attends Emory. He has a diagnosis of ADHD. He went through the process before his first semester. He started on the small campus of Oxford and was set up there. About two weeks into every semester (when the schedule is finalized) he sends a note to the department stating that his schedule is final. They send all of his professors a note with the supports he needs. Mostly extra time on testing and things like that. He is then to check in with the professors - have a meeting - to determine how that will happen in each class. The
Professors have always contacted him before he reached them and have been very helpful and attentive making sure he is comfortable with the plan for the course. His supports followed from one campus to the next.

Prior to graduating HS his HS brought all students (and their parents) to a meeting if the student had an IEP or 504 plan and specifically told them that every school has to have services and have an office like Emory. The student must contact that office to start the process but there must be one.

My daughter is at Case Western. She does not have any special learning services but her cousin is at the school as well. Her cousin does have supports and went through a similar process as the one at Emory. We have heard the school has been wonderful at helping to meet her needs. Every student at CWRU has a navigator - play advisors - the navigators role is to help connect students with any services they might need and navigate the undergraduate process. That person has been wonderful for my daughter.

My husband is on faculty at U Miami - (he is med school). I know there too there is a process and supports available that we have heard good things about.

Hofstra has a program specifically for students with alternative learning needs and has for years. When my sister attended she had certain processing needs that the school was aware of but she chose not to tell her professors. The school followed her wishes. On day she needed the supports at that point the school and professor figured out how to help her through a specific course. Her roommate on the other hand was a person with dyslexia. She chose to be part of the Hofstra New College program to meet her needs.

The point is you should be able to find supports and a circle of friends/likeminded individuals at most campuses. Most schools that have liberal arts focuses - even if they are research based universities will have some type of physics major and a philosophy major.

You should for sure stop by a handful of campuses to see what feels right for you. We took my son and daughter to see Emory because I am an alum and my family is in Atlanta. My son loved it. He liked the campus feel and the fact that he could explore varied interests. I then took him to see Rollins College. It’s similar in feel but smaller. He really liked it too. So we took him to F&M. He still really liked it even though smaller. We then went the other direction and learned that NYU and the state schools and UM all felt too big. In the end he was a Posse finalist for F&M but didn’t get Posse. He switched to Emory ED2 hoping to go to Oxford first. He realized he liked LACs and also liked research unis. So starting at Oxford he got both. Two years LAC and now two years research uni. It was a good fit for him. My daughter realized she wanted to be able to do mechanical engineering and theatre. CWRU makes it easy to take courses in different colleges like she wanted. She also liked the “geeky” student body so write school for her. Seeing the campuses helped them both figure out what felt right so too hopefully for you.

Good luck.

7 Likes

It is easier to fall through the cracks at a bigger school fyi. Much easier to have that one on one personal attention at a liberal arts college. This may, or may not, apply to you.

2 Likes