Freshman on campus housing Class 2021

@goaggie That is how they allotted them last year, as A&M placed an applicant in the dorm, according to the preferences list. While they didn’t specify this anywhere in writing, our guide told us this as well it was told to us on this forum.
This year is all new. A new poster mentioned last night that the 3 choices you select right now are for A&M to place you into a dorm if you neglect to select your dorm and room during the assigned window. I cannot tell you if the “rate ceiling” (for lack of a better name to call it) is still in effect.

With this new system, the way I am gathering it, (and it sounds similar to how dorm selection worked at Texas State and Oklahoma State for my older 2) is that the applicant will be assigned a window of time to select the dorm they want and the room they want.

For my eldest at TX State his freshman year, his allotted time began at 2:10 AM. He and his roommate wanted the new dorm that was opening that fall. So, he got up at 1:45 and logged in, so he was ready at 2:10. There were 6 rooms left in the entire dorm! He had like 5 or 6 days to choose a dorm but he took the first minute!

@Thelma2 I got admitted to college of engineering and Engineering honors too. I a.m. yet to apply for housing as I was unaware of the housing process until I saw this post.

I am planning to apply for ECOS, what are your opinions, and what should I select as my second choice?

So, we can expect an email from A&M around May with our time slot to pick our room?

With ECOS being new for 2017, I cannot speak to it for housing. Right now, the engineering LLC is in Mosher, which is one of the 4 dorms that makes up The Commons. The EH and ECOS webpage seems to now call it Engineering Commons. The Commons refers to the 4 dorms: Mosher, Kruger, Aston and Dunn. I would put any of these as your choices if you want to be in the Commons.

Because the whole housing process is new this year, and priority housing is now closed, the process for wait listed applicants is unknown. It is unknown if wait list applicants will be assigned what is available, after all priority applicants have selected their housing or if wait list applicants will get be assigned a selection window of time to choose their space based on what spaces are available.

I would get your housing application in as soon as possible. On campus housing does close at some point, where they no longer take applications and it has closed in years past, prior to May 1.
https://reslife.tamu.edu/apply/

Edit: Here is more I found online for the engineering LLC. It comprises Mosher, Kruger and Aston in the Commons. Priority was given to those who applied for housing as of March 1. https://reslife.tamu.edu/living/llps/available/ellc/

@purple10115 The date, to my knowledge, of when assignment times are given, is not published. Watch your email for assigned times or log in to your housing portal for updated info. This is a new process this year, so you all are the guinea pigs. You will receive info when your assigned time is. I believe I read April somewhere.

I got an email titled “Waitlist Update” from housing yesterday saying that the chance of getting housing was good and that rooms free up as it gets closer to May 1st. They recommend to to come up with a backup housing plan if there is no confirmation by the NSC.

My daughter received an email from A&M last week regarding housing and time slots:

Most students will be self-selecting their assignment through the housing portal
Please see this link for self-select instructions: http://oncampusaggies.tamu.edu/Images/Site/TAMU/Room%20Self%20Select%20Instructions.pdf
 You CANNOT select a room until your time slot starts, but please look over the instructions now so that you can ask any questions you may have in advance

 Those who requested a deposit may not be able to select a room until they have paid – please see the separate email with your deadline for paying the deposit which will be sent shortly (if you haven’t received it already)

 Time Slot Schedule for all incoming students:

Confirmed LLP Mid-to-Late April
Priority Housing Early-to-Mid May
Guaranteed Housing Mid-to-Late May

Great news @TXRooster. Last year, all wait listed housing applicants got on campus. My friend’s son received his Blinn Team admissions in mid february and was wait listed for housing. He was notiified with updates along the way as well.

There is a FB page for mom’s and dad’s of current Aggie Students. Join it if you are a parent of a newly admitted student. Students are not allowed. It is a great resourse. Mind you, it is not group for chatty posts but for info. Info posts themselves do get chatty tho and they allow that.

Students should join the FB page for their TAMU class of 2021.

There are many posts of people needing someone to take over a lease, be it a student who has since dropped out after signing a lease for next year or changed their mind on where they want to live, after signing a lease. Keep that in mind as the housing wait list progresses. I know one complex across the street from campus, so walking distance to engineering area/sabisa is full but there are quite a few looking for someone to take over their lease at that complex for fall.
The complexes in Northgate are very popular and people start signing a lease in November for the next fall term. There are many other complexes in CS, should a student not get on campus housing, that are on the bus routes and not as competitive, so no worries about getting some kind of housing.