Freshman Year: Chaos ensues

I mean. I thought it over. If I did a reduced courseload, then I’d have to do summer classes. I genuinely need time off for myself too, and in all honesty, it wasn’t my choice to do a 19 credit courseload. I asked why it was so heavy and the response I got was because I was premed and I was already enrolled in those classes. /sighing, thoughtful

OP:

I am sorry to pile on, and know you have written to your advisor, so that’s good.

Given everything I have read here, there is absolutely no way you should be taking this kind of load as a first-semester freshman at a very good school.

I went to a “top school” (whatever that means), and had TONS of AP credit, during a time where you actually got college credits for AP. I was premed early in my college career, until I realized I hated math and science. Probably should have figured this out earlier.

I took 12 hours my first semester as a freshman. I did take Bio, Chem, and a language, but it was a very leisurely semester. That being said, I nearly flunked out of Chem. I got 2 Fs on the first two tests, got a tutor and then got 2 As on the final two tests, and then got an A+ on the final (which replaced one of my Fs). I wound up getting an A in Chem and a 4.0 that semester.

You are transitioning from HS to college. It is a great transition, but 19 hours is WAY too many. I don’t think there is any need for this, and, frankly, you haven’t articulated one except that this is what your advisor told you.

Again, apologies for adding to what everyone else has told you, but there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY I would advise my kids (one of whom will be a freshman in college in August) to overload like this.

College is a completely different lifestyle than HS. It’s a great time to find yourself, but you have to learn to make the adjustment. And, with respect, you’re not going to find out who you are by taking 19 hours in your very first semester.

Maybe as a sophomore, once you’re settled in. But as a freshman? NO WAY.

9 Likes

Yes you do need time for yourself, agreed. Taking a lighter course load now will provide time for you to join clubs, eat dinner with a friend, study, sleep, etc. In other words, a lighter course load now will provide you with a little time for yourself.

Summers are going to be busy. Even if you do not take classes, you will need to volunteer, shadow, study for the mcats, etc. I do not see leisurely summers coming your way, unfortunately.

Premeds are busy. Slow down and aim for success.

5 Likes

It is a great rarity that everyone on CC will agree on something. I think we all agree on this.

7 Likes

Like I’ve said, I’ll keep you guys posted on what my advisor says, but I’ll make sure I lighten my load somehow. /warmly

2 Likes

Op, are you pursing a premed track that has you applying before senior year or after graduation? It has become common for student to take a gap year between college and medical school and apply after graduation. This allows time for completing some additional research or clinical work and spreading the pre med requirements over four years. My D23 is premed and her college highly encourages the four year approach. She’s taking around 13 credits this first semester - chem 1, a foreign language, required writing course, and an introductory psych course, that’s it.

3 Likes

Hopefully, the agreement is to the ultimate advice, and not my piling on! :grin:

OP: I will add that I used the huge amount of AP credit to be VERY involved in my university. It gave me the time and freedom to explore things outside of academics, and that was instrumental to who I am today and how I got here.

US college life is SO different than most other countries…you would be doing yourself a major disservice to focus solely on the academics rather than partaking in all the many opportunities that US university life can give you (sports, publications, student government, volunteer projects, etc).

It was the latter that profoundly shaped who I am today.

4 Likes

I think applying before senior year. That would make sense since I don’t intend on doing a gap year in between college and med school. /thoughtful

I appreciate the advice! I am planning to join some clubs + compete on a collegiate equestrian team (should I make tryouts.) I went in with the mindset of academics only, but I definitely should try to get the most out of the college experience. /thoughtful, appreciative

2 Likes

LOL I suppose poor phrasing on my part.

As I’m late to the discussion, I’ll say that I’m very glad that you have reached out to the advisor and plan to get your course load reduced first semester.

Looking forward to hearing afterwards about how you used your self-advocacy skills to get this done. Don’t be afraid to rope in assistance from the health/disabilities offices…no need to take the whole load on yourself. We’re rooting for you!

/Sincere

7 Likes

Why? The average age of a medical school first year student is something like 25 now.many take a year between undergrad and medical school to do important things like…study for the MCAT (which really can be a full time job), shadow, do significant volunteer work with underprivileged populations, do some patient facing work. And complete the med school applications which aren’t exactly a walk in the park.

And you expect to do all of these things and complete all of your require courses for medical school admission by the end of your junior year of college?

I, frankly, think you are being unrealistic about what it actually takes to be a competitive medical school applicant.

I’ll tag @WayOutWestMom who can clearly articulate all you will need to complete before you actually apply to medical school…which you claim you will be wanting to do at the end of your junior year of college.

3 Likes

Did you end up doing a 4-year plan? If so, you could show it to the advisors and ask them to help them troubleshoot and fine-tune it. But that way you (and them) can see how you have a manageable workload while fulfilling necessary prereqs and other classes for pre-med.

/Curious

1 Like

I think it is a big mistake to apply before senior year. There is a lot to be done in order to be a competitive applicant for med school.

It is very common to take time between undergrad and medical school.

2 Likes

I don’t know anyone who consistently takes that many units. Maybe a semester here or there.

Some sign up for that many so they can feel classes out for a week and then drop one they can’t handle or will cause them most issue.

But to take that - especially when starting and many kids already stumble. Even equestrian might not find time.

Given your health and remediation of topics that is needed, I’m not a fan of less credits because of the cost, but usually full time is 12-19 and if anything you should be 12 - so you can get acclimated, figure out how much time equestrian and other things will take etc. so that you understand your time constraints going forward.

Ps I don’t know the advisors but they are often scripted by the school, set to ensure people graduate on time, etc. they may not be used to someone like you - so they are guidance but not the final answer.

And make sure that you are speaking to healthcare advising, not just academic.

5 Likes

Mostly agree…but will add (related to my post above)…this could end up costing MORE if the student isn’t able to complete the courses each term…and drops one or two each time.

1 Like

This is why I know kids that take 18. Not with the intention of taking 18 but knowing they have to drop. They’ll be 15.

When my kids WD, both each first semester, at both schools they were given that strategy by others.

They each did one time but not again.

They only did 15 but had 18 the first two weeks is what I’m saying.

4 Likes

@premed_equestrian Are you registered with Disabilty Resource Center?Incoming and Unregistered Students | Disability Resource Center
Also, it does appear that 12 credits is minimum for full time status.
And, your tuition goes up on a per credit basis for more than 16 credits, if I am understanding
Billing Policies | Student Financial Services
“Adjustments for course work greater than the prescribed curriculum for the term is calculated at the overload rate. Students taking more than 8 credits (summer half session) or 16 credits (full semester) will be charged the additional per credit hour rate for each credit hour beyond the prescribed curriculum for that term.
Students registered for co-op and taking a class will be billed at the per credit hour rate. The flat undergraduate tuition rate will be assessed for students registered for 12-16 credit hours. Students may register for one additional music ensemble course from the list below without added charge.”

3 Likes

One more perspective, same as the others, from one of my kids.

On of my kids is a D1 athlete with all that goes along and a difficult STEM double-major in a top 20 LAC. (Not pre-med… but we were still worried about grades!) Even with just 12 credits (normal course load) we insisted on figuring out the easiest possible first 2 semesters. We helped to review the course descriptions, and checked Rate My Prof to find easy graders. We felt with all the pressures that the most important thing was to have a light first year. It worked out very well, and from there, kid was able to navigate future schedules on their own.

But that first semester, and first year—it’s so important to get your grounding. Get used to school. Get used to studying there. Make that HS-to-college transition as easy as it can be.

I went to a 15-credit per semester college. I cannot fathom taking 19. Really.

I know everyone here knows that you will be successful. Just go with the lightest possible load that first semester or 2!!

2 Likes

I’m also noticing that Northeastern likes to use a Committee Letter process for current students, and two of three letters are to be from a NU science faculty
“ 3 Internal, Faculty Letters

• Letters must be from Northeastern faculty (current, former, or retired).
  • Letters must be from a graded course (at least 3-credit lecture or 1-credit lab). Evaluations can be requested from in-progress courses.
  • Two of the three required internal letters must be from Biology, Chemistry, Math, or Physics (BCMP) faculty OR from the approved list of Internal Science Letters.
  • One letter may be from academic faculty in any discipline, though we recommend a non-science letter.”

https://undergraduate.northeastern.edu/prehealth/applying/md_do/

1 Like