Freshman Year: Chaos ensues

19 is too much. Take it easy. Consider just one science with lab.

9 Likes

I appreciate the advice. I’ll try to see if I can get it cut, but I have been told 19 is the max and they kept my schedule as is because I’m premed. I even asked my advisor at orientation if I could do just one science and she said I had to do both. I’ll keep y’all updated. /sighing

EDIT: one english class (ENG 1000) is pass/fail, so that’s not even an issue. So theoretically it’s technically my science classes, their labs, + 2 english classes (ENG 1111, and ENG 1400.)

Another option is to take a science or two during summer session. That would help keep your semester much more manageable. I took my physics classes in the summer.

I believe you just might have to take both of those sciences. BUT…if 19 credits is the maximum allowed, frankly, you should not be taking the maximum. I’m saying that based on what you have posted here. At one point you were going to ask for a reduced number of credits…and now you are taking the maximum.

You would be far better off taking longer to complete college with excellent grades than to cram all of this into your first semester.

My opinion!

Then again…if medical school is something you are considering, really, there will be NO option tjere to reduce your courseload at all.

But still…this is way too many credits.

Have you discussed your schedule with the disability office? I would definitely do so.

13 Likes

I agree with everyone that this is too much. What do the advisors who help students with health issues say about this?

Are you open to taking an extra semester to complete your undergraduate degree? That might give you some breathing room.

Or…perhaps change your major once again, to the easiest major that aligns with pre-med. You can always switch back to English later if you want. You can always take English classes as electives.

I’m sorry…but I think this is not a good plan. Please see if you can shake some trees and get a different schedule.

4 Likes

I have discussed it, but I am choosing to not do the reduced courseload because then I would end up doing both Summer 1 + Summer 2, and I would like to have time off with my family in the summer. /thoughtful

I sent an email to my advisor about my schedule. I’ll keep y’all updated. /warmly

What about taking a reduced course load and staying for a 9th semester?

1 Like

I think an extra semester would be fine, but I still don’t know about a reduced courseload. I’m dead set on medical school, so I need to get top grades- which means not shooting myself in the foot. Hopefully I can get a class taken off. /thoughtful

I’m going to be blunt.

You are going in to college knowing that you struggle in math. You are going in to college knowing (perhaps better than anyone) that you have health challenges. You have also shown that you know how to self-advocate.

Time to advocate. Your schedule is insane. Lab in college is NOT like lab in HS where if you miss it, a friend gives you notes and you figure it out on the fly. You will find yourself seriously behind the 8-ball if you don’t attend your labs, and if you map out your schedule to show when you need to be where, you will understand what I am saying.

I appreciate you wanting your summers free. But at some point, you need to create a realistic hierarchy. Riding, your health, med school, family time, research, French, hanging with your cousin-- you’ve posted about so many things that are important to you. You may have reached the point where you’ve got to make some hard choices. And being overloaded first semester freshman year in order to have summer with the family may not be the optimal choice for you.

How is your math class going now? Do you feel caught up???

12 Likes

Here’s a question. Is the typical load of 19 credits because of the Co-op program? I bet it might be. I think Co-op isn’t required, although some sort of experiential learning is. You could substitute research experience for that. if you tell your advisor you don’t plan to do co-op, then perhaps you could get an easier schedule for your first year. You can always re-evaluate and change your mind later.

And how about just a regular biology major to start with, even though you love English. It will lessen the load. You can always take English courses as your electives.

If you are truly set on medical school, then you need to set yourself up to get A’s. 19 credits is a lot, especially as an incoming first year student who also needs time to adjust, make friends, and sleep.

I would take fewer credits even if it means taking summer courses or staying an extra semester.

5 Likes

We all want the best for you. Many of the posters here have kids who are in college or have graduated recently and have recently seen what a courseload of 19 credits means in real life. Others are practicing physicians.

Please don’t do this to yourself this first semester. /concerned, wanting the best for you

6 Likes

Is it believe this is the case. We know a bunch of NEU grads, and no one ever took the maximum allowable number of credits in a semester…and all did coops.

This student says 19 credits is the maximum. My opinion….this student (from what has been posted here) should NOT be taking 19 credits. Originally this student was going to ask for a reduction in credit hours, and now is signed up for the maximum? I don’t understand this reasoning….at all.

9 Likes

I mean. I thought a reduced courseload would be a good idea but I don’t want to have to do classes all summer as well. I’ve emailed my advisor. Let’s just see what she has to say. /warmly, thoughtful

I have to agree with the others. Taking 19 credits first semester is insane for any student. I’m actually surprised your advisor recommended it. At my kid’s school kids take 12-14 credits on average first semester to allow for the transition to college life. That is what is recommended by the advisors. If all goes well, kids take more credits their remaining semesters and by far the majority graduate in 4 years.

Please, please speak up for yourself and ask for a lighter schedule this first semester. You don’t have to do this other semesters so may not have to do summer classes at all or only one over the four years.

Edit: /said with caring and concern

5 Likes

College is very hard. Premed is very hard. Northeastern is very hard.

Your summers are going to be busy. Besides classes, there will come a time when you will need to volunteer, shadow, etc. There’s also the mcats.

Personally, I think it’s better to reduce your credits and go at a slower pace. There is no race to the finish line.

3 Likes

I’ve already emailed my advisor! I’ll see what she says and I’ll keep you guys updated. /warmly, appreciative

2 Likes

I’ll put this out.

If your parents are paying your costs to attend NEU, you very well could end up not doing so well, and could end up having to drop courses etc. this isn’t a good outcome…and a huge waste of money.

If you are receiving any merit aid at all from NEU, you could lose it.

If you don’t meet satisfactory academic progress, your need based financial aid (if you have that) will be suspended until you DO meet satisfactory academic progress.

You need to set yourself up for success. If this means summer classes…so be it. If this means taking extra semesters to finish your undergrad…so be it. Success should be your goal.

Sure, some students can take overload course schedules. But you originally suggested you wanted a reduced number of credits due to some challenges you might encounter. What changed that?

4 Likes

Your advisor actually thought it was ok for you, as an incoming freshman who also needs time to adjust, to take 19 credits?

1 Like

Yup. /honest