Freshman Year: Chaos ensues

that called me out. whelp. /embarrassed and laughing

and thanks for the advice. /warmly

1 Like

The best way not to succumb to “imposter syndrome” or any of its cousins and siblings is to frequently remind yourself that you are fantastic just the way you are. (If you watched Mr. Rogers as a kid, remembering him will help!) You were not admitted under some special program “Let’s accept kids that don’t belong here and then watch them struggle”. You are not a social science project of the admissions team to see how long it takes for you to crack.

You are fantastic just the way you are. And you will STAY fantastic if you pace yourself, take care of your physical and mental health, eat right, get enough sleep in college, and remember that you aren’t taking the MCAT’s tomorrow!

4 Likes

Thank you for clarifying what I think many of the rest of us were assuming was a baseline of understanding / knowledge!

takes notes duly noted. once again, i always appreciate the advice. now if y’all excuse me, i’m going to go game. /warmly

Gaming won’t work with your intended goals
. Time to cut the cord on that.

1 Like

it’s… literally 30 minutes of gaming. like, once a week, just for the summer. I’m not going to be doing that in the fall. This is just my down time until I’m able to go to the barn in a couple weeks… I’m just trying to have some fun, you know? /civil, calmly, sighing

I’m doing my Ramp Up Chem + modernstates precalc as well, but because of my limited screentime, I game occasionally. Like, 95% of my actual screentime is studying. I’m not a student who games all the time, I just do it sometimes, honestly. By sometimes I mean once a week. In the summers. And I know that’ll change in college, but for now, I’m having my downtime. /honest

2 Likes

Great if that is your usage. You previously had indicated more time spent gaming, thats why I asked.

I don’t think i’ve mentioned gaming before, but I don’t do it very often. My siblings + cousins game more often than I do combined in a year. Like, I don’t do it very much. Used to, in middle school, though. /honest

Anyways, I’m predominantly studying/prepping for the fall semester + riding + traveling this summer, so. That’s that. /sighing

Although, I do appreciate the concern. Gaming’s never been a huge hyperfixation of mine. /warmly

On your previous thread you mentioned gaming quite a few times.

2 Likes

OP, think of the process of putting together schedules and then getting feedback as the process. You’re not really supposed to get it right the first time.

It’s like going to buy a dress for an occasion. Trying on the possibilities is part of the process. Each one you don’t like redirects you.

2 Likes

Okay, well. Scrolling back to it, yeah, I did, but… I am studying this summer. I just. I’m trying to take a little bit of a break of sorts before it’s back to reaching for the next thing, working my butt off is all. Prepping is of course needed but I also am trying to just… relax, too. /honest

I appreciate your concern, but gaming isn’t and hasn’t ever been an issue for me and as far as I know, it’s never interfered with my academics. I can tell you for a fact that it’s never been a problem. More often than not, it’s been “logged in last 2 months ago” or such, every time I do open it. So I do appreciate the concern, but please know I’m gaming not that often, and it doesn’t affect my academics. /warmly, but firm

1 Like

On a different topic- I’ll update y’all with the schedule/credits stuff once I hear back. /warmly, happily

3 Likes

Everybody (including OP) needs to have balance in their lives. Spending too much time in one area and not enough in others is not healthy. There’s lots of research on the importance of brain breaks and relaxation, and I think it’s entirely reasonable for OP to spend time gaming recreationally (i.e. not obsessively). If OP did nothing but study chem, math, and bio over the summer, then OP would be burned out before the fall semester even begins.

/Earnest

10 Likes

OP besides teaching English as a Plan B, you can also look for work as a genetic counseling assistant (most stay in GCA positions for about 2 years), clinical research coordinator, patient advocate, lab worker, research assistant etc.

A Plan B does not have to be permanent. It could be something that you line up for two years while you decide your next step (which could include strengthening your medical school app and reapplying, applying to PA school, GC programs, masters in genetics, etc). You will be in excellent company, as many recent grads are in these types of jobs (including future med students). A Plan B does not mean failure- that is important to understand. It means regrouping, taking a detour, slowing down, gaining experience, etc.

You might not need a Plan B, but knowing that these options exist will allow you to focus on the present and hopefully reduce stress. That is the purpose of this post.

I want to remind you that life is not a race to the finish line. Many, many people go back to school for an advanced degree after working in these positions for a few years. My family member taught chemistry for a few years before starting medical school at the age of 27. This is more common than not.

Once again, we all wish you the best!

6 Likes

Let me ask everyone this about Plan B.

If student had a Plan B, how does it change this semester?

It doesn’t.

The student still is going to pursue the medical school path - and that starts with this semester - and yes, a balanced semester.

Seems to me - waaaaaayyyy too early to be planning for Plan B. The student hasn’t even started and everyone is saying, find the alternative path.

I don’t see why that has to be now.

Plan A and Plan B - the schedule is identical.

So why can’t the student be left alone to study on the most productive semester they can have.

And then after the first semester - if a reassessment is needed, it can happen then.

Everyone is saying - plan B - or only 40% of med school apps get in. But my guess, is students don’t have Plan B til they don’t get in.

Obviously a student will have an idea if they are a legit candidate or not well before - but this candidate has no idea as they’ve yet to step foot on a college campus.

It seems too much pressure and highly unnecessary at this point, given the schedule would be no different, to be thinking about - not succeeding in the dream.

3 Likes

It provides a plan that they can tuck away in their back pocket, which can reduce stress and help them focus on the present. Knowing that these options exist can be helpful for students who are anxious about their future, or may become anxious a year down the road.

My D had a plan b for grad school, in the event she did not get in her first cycle. Some people need a plan b for their mental health, while others are ok with uncertainty.

1 Like

Not necessarily. Some students find that they want to approach college with multiple ideas in mind…and a schedule that will enable them to do so.

As I’ve said repeatedly, this student needs to take a realistic courseload for this student and see where that lands them in terms if grades and the expected workload. That’s what needs to happen.

I’m in agreement with those who wonder two things:

1. Why does this student need to choose a major as an incoming freshman?

2. Is it advisable to take 19 credits first semester.

The OP is looking at these suggestions. And I’m hoping they find advising help that is going to help them.

5 Likes

Best I can tell, we are only increasing stress.

I was a student who chased the dream (and failed). And when I found out - for me, it was a year after college, I pivoted.

My daughter is in process - not sure which way it will go.

Again - I ask - how does this semester’s schedule change by having a Plan B? Best I can tell it doesn’t.

The student has yet to start school. The student has a dream. The parents have the money to bankroll the dream.

How would you feel if everyone is telling you - you’re going for this but you have no chance.

And there’s nothing else, by the way to pivot to now, the schedule won’t change…that’s my point.

There will be a time for Plan B - but establishing it in six months, a year, two years from now - whatever - won’t change the academic situation of today - and that’s all that matters at this point.

8 Likes

The student chose a major because the student knows what they want to major in - English. If you were undecided, you’d go undecided. But the student isn’t undecided - so they picked a major.

Everyone knows the initial schedule is way beyond aggressive and the student has said they will work on this. She over reached, she’s been counseled, and she’s looking into it.

So not sure the need to rehash.

1 Like

It doesn’t mean you have no chance. It helps set a realistic and goal oriented path.

My own kid needed a plan b for her own mental health. She could not handle the uncertainty of not knowing whether she would match. With a plan b in mind, she was able to tell herself ok, I will do X while I continue to strengthen my application and apply again, if that is necessary.

This student needs As as well as research publications during undergrad, given the desire to go straight through after graduation. She needs a realistic path which includes a plan b (this can reduce stress in some). The plan b does not have to be solidified today, but knowing that there are many options out there is not a bad thing.

A plan B for somebody who wants an MD/PhD, med school etc is different than a plan b for somebody with different career goals. If I recall correctly, your daughter is interested in human rights, working with refugees etc. She does not necessarily need the same type of plan b. She will likely find a job, internship etc and while it might not be exactly what she wants (hopefully it is), it will be a stepping stone to what comes next, and it will be in her area of interest.

When you want to work in underserved communities, refugees, human rights etc, there are different options (TFA, refugee organizations, organizations helping asylum seekers, etc) rather than a plan b. My kid went this route during college and in the years following.

2 Likes